223vs556 HELPPPPP

rab

I have just purchased my first 223,it is a smith&wesson m&p flat-top.After I ordered some ammo I got to reading that I could have some problems with 556 in my 223.I thought that 223 and 556 was the same size. the ammo was from cheaper that dirt,the add said slashed prices on 223 futher on in the add it said the ammo was 556.I sure could use some help here for I want to stay safe and not damage my gun

Thanks

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest last1is4me

Its not really the pressure difference that is the problem. The 5.56 nato rounds are slightly longer than the .223. Because of this the bullet can actually enter into the rifling on the barrell instead of just being in the chamber. Some .223 chambered ar's are still longer enough to accept the longer bullet, but which ones I dont know. Read the following article I found on this subject.

.223 Remington vs. 5.56x45--Chambering and Throat Considerations

Is the .223 Remington the same as the 5.56x45? The answer is yes and no. There ARE differences between the .223 Remington as shot in civilian rifles and the 5.56x45 in military use. While the external cartridge dimensions are essentially the same, the .223 Remington is built to SAAMI specs, rated to 50,000 CUP max pressure, and normally has a shorter throat. The 5.56x45 is built to NATO specs, rated to 60,000 CUP max pressure, and has a longer throat, optimized to shoot long bullets. That said, there are various .223 Remington match chambers, including the Wylde chamber, that feature longer throats. Military 5.56x45 brass often, but not always, has thicker internal construction, and slightly less capacity than commercial .223 Rem brass.

Should you be worried about shooting 5.56x45 milspec ammo in a .223 Remington? The answer really depends on your chamber. 5.56 x45 ammo is intended for chambers with longer throats. If you shoot hot 5.56x45 ammo in short-throated SAAMI-spec chambers you can encounter pressure issues. The new long-throated 'Wylde' chamber allows safe use of military ammo. Wylde chambers are quite common in Rock River guns. Other manufacturers, such as Fulton Armory, offer modified "match chambers" with extended throats that allow safe use of 5.56x45 ammo in .223 Remington rifles. For a complete discussion of the .223 Rem vs. 5.56x45 question, read this Tech Notice from Winchester, and this GunZone Commentary by Dean Speir. Without belaboring the point, we'll repeat the official SAAMI position: "Chambers for military rifles have a different throat configuration than chambers for sporting firearms which, together with the full metal jacket of the military projectile, may account for the higher pressures which result when military ammunition is fired in a sporting chamber. SAAMI recommends that a firearm be fired only with the cartridge for which it is specifically chambered by the manufacturer."

Guest PatriotCSA

Best gun friend of mine has an MP-15T which is 5.56 chambered. There are many different models of MP-15. You'll need to find out which one you have. There are some .223 models.

I would like to thank all of you for the quick respones.I ckeck my manaul,it shows the cal # by the bolt lock but on the gun there is no caliber stamp just the sn#.I did find a nato 556 mark on the barrel so I hope that means 556ammo is ok, when I purchased the gun I was told it was a 223.

Again thank for the information

You can use .223 in a 5.56 but NOT 5.56 in a .223. It is a case size thing. The 5.56 case is some what bigger in the neck/shoulder area. Not much, but just enough to matter. Check your gun it should say 5.56 somewhere. Or call S&W and have them check for you.

Guest ls2tiger

My S&W MP15 was sold to me the same way. The owner said it was chambered .223 but when I checked the barrel stamp it said 5.56 nato. Just stick with 55grain ammo and you'll be fine 5.56 or .223.

Guest Todd@CIS

It's my understanding that all Smith ARs are 5.56mm rather than .223.

Your GTG with all 5.56 / .223 ammo...just stay away from Wolf, IMO (I've seen several Smiths, and others, choke on it).

Edited by Todd@CIS
Guest ls2tiger
It's my understanding that all Smith ARs are 5.56mm rather than .223.

Your GTG with all 5.56 / .223 ammo...just stay away from Wolf, IMO (I've seen several Smiths, and others, choke on it).

I shoot Wolf steel......:death: It's fun to just waste some ammo sometimes. Run the bolt very wet and resist the urge to bumpfire......:D

Guest Todd@CIS
I shoot Wolf steel......:tinfoil: It's fun to just waste some ammo sometimes. Run the bolt very wet and resist the urge to bumpfire......:D

Consider yourself lucky.

We've yet to have someone come through our 2-day / 1000 round Defensive Carbine class with an AR / Wolf combo and finish without serious malfunction issues.

That's what I'm basing my opinion on.