Good Fixed Blade Knife?

• Admin Team

you could get an rc-4 or rc-6 from RAT er... ESEE ( they changed their name ) for around 100. Both are still very good knives just not as thick.

Yeah, in the interest of full disclosure, I've got a RC-3MIL as well. It is a great fixed blade knife, and very durable. Same S30V steel, so it holds a great edge. It is currently shipping with a great kydex sheath with multiple attachment options (as are all of their RC series).

To me, though the RC-5 is the essence of what a combat knife should be. Full tang, multiple attachment options, good scales, easy to sharpen well, maintains an edge and will take just about anything you throw at it in stride.

Not to knock any other knives mentioned here, though. I've never cared for the LMF series, but not because they're not good knives, they just don't fit my hands very well. I'll also second the Bark River option above, though they can be expensive. I've got a Bark River Golok that I consider the perfect machete. It's a great tool - though Bark River's reputation has suffered a little in the last few years from some QC issues.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for all of the input, guys. I learned a lot about knives, and now I want one too.

I actually spoke to him, trying to slyly tease out any hints about something he's had his eye on. Well, it turns out he ordered a few knives a couple of weeks ago, including a classic Ka-Bar, a Sog Seal Pup, and some other knife I hadn't heard of. So I'll have to find something else, but that's a different thread entirely.

Here's a K-BAR that I had engraved for a very good friends son that graduated from MC boot camp last year. The young Marine that I gave it too use to be my gun cleaning side kick. :rock: He is going to be a small arms armorer with the Corps. I reckon he will be pretty sick of small arms by the time he seperates from the Corps. LOL

P8283123.jpg

ToPost1.jpg

Guest savvysteve

I am not sure what you may have found but there are a lot of very good choice out there all around $100. I have been following a guy on youtube named "nutnfancy" and he has some really good reviews of guns, knifes, flash lights, etc...

I haven't made a purchase of this type myself yet but I am looking at the seal pup elite or maybe cold steel SRK. Knives are a lot like guns... can't have too many. :-)

Amazon.com has good prices acutally on knives. You can also checkout a site call yourcornerstore.com that has good prices and this guy from youtube speaks highly of him.

• 1 month later...

I looks like I'm a little late for the discussion, but if it's not too late, you might want to consider a couple of things.

My unit issues out bayonets (see below) and good quality pocket knives before a deployment. It's likely that he'll receive the same. The bayonets are pretty heavy-duty, so I doubt that it would come up short for his needs. Although, I have a couple of Ka-Bars myself, and would seriously consider taking at least one with me on deployment.

I think a good quality multi-tool (Leatherman, Gerber, etc.) would be a good choice. If he doesn't already have one, I can guarantee that he could use one when he's over there. They're generally under $100, too.

USMC%20COMBAT%20KNIFE%20AND%20BAYONET.JPG

Guest Paulie771

ESEE RC3, Gerber LMF ASEK (buy from LAPolicegear, trust me), Cold Steel SRK are all knives I've tried in the woods and they perform well. Whether batoning wood for the fire, making fuzz sticks, etc, they do well.

I carry a large Cold Steel Kukri as my chopper, and a smaller, 3-4" fixed blade for my camp chores. I've recently taken a Kershaw folding saw and used it and it's probably my go to, heavy work load implement now for processing fire wood. And it's quiet. No more "thunk, thunk, thunk" echoing through the woods. YMMV.

I'm fond of my MOD (Masters of Defense) Allen Elishewitz Nightwing, with the serrated back and partial serrated blade. I've also got a Gerber LMF II Infantry, it's extremely nice. Cool guy points will go to the MOD knife though, it comes with a sheaththat has an outside pouch that you can put an M9 mag or a multi-tool in.

• 2 weeks later...