Good Fixed Blade Knife?

I'm looking for a good fixed blade knife to give as a gift to a Marine pal. I dunno if he'll choose to take it with him overseas, but I would like to get him a knife that would be very capable in a theater of war. I was going to get a LMF II (recommended by an Army buddy) @ Guns and Leather, but it turns out they don't carry Gerbers.

So now I'm looking online, and I see lots of choices. A dizzying array of choices, really.

Sog Seal Pup Elite or Gerber LMF II? Maybe a Ka-Bar of some sort? Any suggestions?

Oh, and anyone know the difference between a regular LMF II Infantry Knife and a LMF II ASEK?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Republican

Check out BK&T. Becker Knife & Tool. You will have to find one on ebay as they no longer produce them. The crewman 10 is a good choice. Bonus, the designer and namesake of the knife lives in Tennessee.

ka-bar, that is the one for him. he is a Marine and he will know the ka-bar. any other knife will just be a knife to him, but a ka-bar will be history that he knows.

I think you're absolutely right. Would a classic USMC Ka-Bar straight edge be alright, you think? Or would a next generation Ka-Bar be in order? My bud really likes his history, but at the same time, old tech is old tech.

Check out BK&T. Becker Knife & Tool. You will have to find one on ebay as they no longer produce them. The crewman 10 is a good choice. Bonus, the designer and namesake of the knife lives in Tennessee.

Yeah, Becker is still in action, under Ka-Bar, though he doesn't make that knife anymore.

Has his own manufacturing space within Ka-Bar's factory, imprints say "BK&T Ka-Bar"

I've got the BK7, helluva knife, comes with a BK13 with it's own place in sheath (which is nifty, but rattles):

kbbk7.jpg

- OS

If you can find the original LMF it is a great knife. I have two. One is a tool and the

the other is new. The LMF II is a good knife. It is made abroad. The orginal LMF has not been made in years and were serial numbered.

K-bar or Ontario are great knives. I have carried their as issued Aviator knives for

years.

I think you're absolutely right. Would a classic USMC Ka-Bar straight edge be alright, you think? Or would a next generation Ka-Bar be in order? My bud really likes his history, but at the same time, old tech is old tech.

i would go with the usmc straight edge. nothing wrong with old school. it worked for me in the early 70's and i can say it will work just as good today.

Guest Republican

Great to Hear that BK&T is back in business. IMHO, I own a Kabar and the BK&TCrewman. The Kabar is cool and all, but it is more fragile as it is not a full tang knife. The leather handle is also less durable than other choices. If I could pick one knife to trust my life to, it wouldnt be the Kabar, as much as I respect and love it. I would go with the BK&T, from what I am reading hear, it is made by Kabar anyways. It is a MUCH heavier duty knife. You could stab it thru a car door, drive it into a tree, etc. It is built to last.

BTW if you go with a RAT there are a couple things that will help you.

RAT cutlery just changed there name to ESEE Knives to avoid confusion with Ontario RAT,they made the RAT line for them but the quality dropped RAT changed makers but Ontario won a law suite to keep the RAT name in their line up.Rowen makes the knives for ESEE now and are marked RC on the blade.