Calling all Kimber owners!

E4 No More

G&L in Greenbrier carries Wilsons and Browns as well as a few Nighthawks, Out Post Armory off I-24 exit 89 carries Wilsons, Browns and I've even seen a Baer or 2 in there before. I agree that there is definately a lack of high end 1911's carried in shops around here.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My EDC is an original series stainless Ultra Carry that I traded a rifle for at a show about two years ago. I have not had a single failure with it.

kimberultracarry45002.jpg

I'm not sure that I would pay $2K for a Kimber. For that kind of dough I think I would be looking at some kind of custom 1911 and probably a commander or government model.

Edited by DaddyO

Hero-Gear usually has a good selection of 1911's as well, including Nighthawk, Ed Brown and if you are real lucky maybe a Dan Wesson, though I very rarely see those in Commander length. Personally I am not really high on Kimber's Commander length guns. They are actually 4", not 4.25". Because they shorten them that much they get rid of the Bushing and use a tapered barrel.

They also use MIM parts on some of their internals. MIM parts are fine for some parts and not for others.

Kimber does stand behind their products pretty well.

Guest BEARMAN
well the feed ramp HAS to be at 31 degrees or the hollowpoint rounds will nosedive.

Yep, Lumber Jack nailed the problem...hollowpoints nosedive and lodge right there against the feed ramp. Don't know what the degree angle on the ramp is...but, you would have thought Kimber would have. IMHO :rolleyes:

No problems whatsoever, with hardball fmj ammo.

I may try the Powerball ammo, and see how that works, till the Hornady Critical Defense ammo comes out in .45 acp.

Personally, if your thinking of dropping 2K on a 1911 there are much better options

out there than Kimber. Les Baer, Wilson, Ed Brown, just to name a few.

Do a lot of research before you put that much hard earned cash down on any firearm.

Amen to this advice. I keep posting this 1911 site below. I spent a lot of time on this site before I took the 1911 plunge. I did not end up with what I had planned on getting (a Kimber, what a coincidence).

1911Forum - Powered by vBulletin

I have a Kimber Pro Colvert II w/ Cremson Trace and Digital Camo grips.It is a very nice looking gun that shoots everytime you pull the trigger and hits where you put he laser. $1305.00 it is the total package.

I have many $2k+ Colts

I trust my life to HK

I had a Pro Carry II for a year and really liked it. It took a few trips to the gunsmith to get a misfeed issued worked out but after that it was golden. I ended up trading it for a H&K that I had been wanting and now wish I would have held on to the Pro Carry.

I also have a Raptor II that is an amazing weapon. It is crazy accurate and reliable. It is a bit large and heavy for EDC but I would trust my life to it without hesitation.

Guest IzzyIsaac
I used to own a Ultra CDP II that was not reliable with hollowpoints of any kind.

This MUST be an issue with the 3" Ultra model only, because my daily reliable is a Pro CDP II (4") and it has never failed to feed any Gold Dot's or Hydra-Shok's.

The only time it has ever FTL anything was 2 weeks ago my stepdad gave me a box of selfloaded ammo his brother loaded back in 2000 and let's just say after the first mag, i was done even trying to shoot that mess! Never had a problem out of any shelf brand ammo

Personally, if your thinking of dropping 2K on a 1911 there are much better options

out there than Kimber. Les Baer, Wilson, Ed Brown, just to name a few.

Do a lot of research before you put that much hard earned cash down on any firearm.

My thoughts exactly... I'll not turn this into a Kimber-bash thread, but I will never own one, never carry one, and especially never trust my life with one.

So I went out to Baer's web site, Full retail prices: Premier II $1790

Custom Carry Blue $ 1830 Stainless $1890 a Thunder Ranch Special $1990.

If you talk to dealer and they order for you I doubt your going to pay full retail.

This is part of the research you need to do and don't be afraid to talk price with

a dealer. I would much rather spend 2 grand on a Baer as oppossed to

a Kimber. As for being crazy yeah I've been told that, but you mentioned 2K in

your original post so I don't understand the surprise at the pricing.

That's where I checked the prices, I misunderstood, didn't know you were put

off by the high prices. I doubt you would be put off by the end product.

At a certain point there are no steps up, you just have to jump...lol.

No doubt I'd like the product. :D

Wife's unemployed since mid-november, so if I made that kind of jump I'd be selling it shortly thereafter to pay for the divorce.

Edited by SWJewellTN
Guest BEARMAN

The very best. Kimber CDP - Custom Defense Package - pistols combine the most popular carry features into a package that gives them their name. Adding these features while the pistols are being built in the Custom Shop reduces their price by over $500 and gives them their incredible value.

Kimbers words...not mine, and when you spend $1000.-$1200. or more, on a pistol that says Custom shop right on the side of the slide, and Custom Defense Package (CDP), one would think the pistol should run HP ammo right out of the box...or am I missing the point of a "custom defense" firearm?

For my money, the Springfield Ultra Compact Mil-Spec. runs a lot better with HP ammo, right out of the box, than the high dollar Kimber does.

These are my observations, from owning both of the above weapons.

And, I'm still planning on keeping the Kimber, but just running FMJ through it. :D

I agree with IzzyIssac I wouldnt hesitate to buy a Kimber but I would stay with at least a 4". If you have prob Kimber will make it right. Any weapon you buy thats not from a custom shop has a chance of problems. It just the nature of mass production of ANYTHING. I have a 4" Kimber Eclipse Pro and it runs fine.

If $1300 is in your price range buy this one from the classified thread

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/firearms-classifieds/35323-custom-1911-fs-ft.html

It'll be better than anything off the shelf