Krull

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin Team

In my line of work, I have the benefit of getting to work with our military and other branches of government without actually being employed by one of them. One of the things that consistently stands out to me is the overall level of knowledge and professionalism in today's military.

I think it is a pretty common liberal misconception to look at the military as a job of last resort for "poor kids who can't do anything else". I actually had someone in a university setting say this to me recently. If we aren't careful, that mentality creeps across political lines and others start paying some credence to it. The irony is that this particular professor had no idea that a couple of his best students were actually military.

Anyone who thinks that today's volunteer army is a bunch of "hood rats" is either misinformed or are not capable of seeing the military for what it is. Maybe both. Either way, they are dead wrong. Today's military is comprised of some of our best and brightest.

I know it's disheartening to hear that you can't be accepted because of indiscretions 20 years ago, but the heart of the matter is that they can afford to choose who they want enlisting right now. There are ways that have been discussed above to potentially get past the moral waiver issue (at least some of them), but at the end of the day, they can be picky.

In my line of work, I have the benefit of getting to work with our military and other branches of government without actually being employed by one of them. One of the things that consistently stands out to me is the overall level of knowledge and professionalism in today's military.

I think it is a pretty common liberal misconception to look at the military as a job of last resort for "poor kids who can't do anything else". I actually had someone in a university setting say this to me recently. If we aren't careful, that mentality creeps across political lines and others start paying some credence to it. The irony is that this particular professor had no idea that a couple of his best students were actually military.

Anyone who thinks that today's volunteer army is a bunch of "hood rats" is either misinformed or are not capable of seeing the military for what it is. Maybe both. Either way, they are dead wrong. Today's military is comprised of some of our best and brightest.

I know it's disheartening to hear that you can't be accepted because of indiscretions 20 years ago, but the heart of the matter is that they can afford to choose who they want enlisting right now. There are ways that have been discussed above to potentially get past the moral waiver issue (at least some of them), but at the end of the day, they can be picky.

Agreed.

Well based off of the FBI gangsta study I would say if 40% had military training then yes they are taking some hood rats. And because my buddy let a recruiter talk him to some gogo juice to try and mask it in the 90's I would say yes he used bad judgement.

But to keep someone out who really wants to make a difference and do something especially after what he has accomplished is just wrong. He is a great guy and a true patriot. It just sucks that one crappy decision he made wouldn't keep him from getting a q clearance but keeps out of the reserves. I think that is lame but opinions are like buttholes.

Well based off of the FBI gangsta study I would say if 40% had military training then yes they are taking some hood rats. And because my buddy let a recruiter talk him to some gogo juice to try and mask it in the 90's I would say yes he used bad judgement.

Read the study it had nothing to do with "gangta's" It was based on 43 interveiws over a variety of crimes. Nowhere does it say gangsta.

To give you example, last year in my unit I had 11 high school kids that had enlisted between the 11th and 12th grade. I have had no shortage between them and soldiers comming off acive duty. I get alot of prior service out of FT Campbell. I would tell your cousin to try again near the summer push.

The failed drug test was the reason he was told...

The actual reason is that the Reserves are WAAAY over strength right now and in the last quarter of '09, they stopped all Reserve enlistment to let some of the old farts retire and make room.

Go back in August and he might have a better shot.

Read the study it had nothing to do with "gangta's" It was based on 43 interveiws over a variety of crimes. Nowhere does it say gangsta."

Don't read to much into that I'm not trying to insult you. Considering he was a college athlete graduated mcl, is still in rocking shape I would say high school boys are not more qualified than he is. Once again my opinion. But I know some military guys , my dad flew dustoff in Vietnam and I come from a long line of military. Bottom line is they should let him in. But maybe he is going to vet some people at work to talk to the air guard guys at mcgee Tyson Im sure he will be fine......but shouldn't have to go through all of that.

Guess he shouldn't have failed a drug test.
Exactly, sometimes you have to live with your choices in life. He may be a great guy but the Army still will give him quite a hassle for that one failed drug test. Now that the economy is worse recruiting numbers have went way up. I remember back in 2005/2006 they were hurting for people.
Guest mustangdave

Krull...unfortunately even the MILITARY has to follow some pretty silly beaurocratic rules...your cousin just got caught by one of em...regardless of his desire...if he's persistant and REALLY wants this...the RIGHT recruiter can make it happen.