Survival Skills not Stuff

In past week have seen two people having some sort of medical emergency needing attention and someone calling 911. This got me thinking about the survival training and all the threads I had read about this knife, that sleeping bag, which bag to carry, and list goes on and on. All good threads and learned a lot but what skills should I also be learning? For example the best medical kit in world not going to help if I don't know a little basic first aid. So signing up for first aid and CPR class. Also thought in SHTF scenario communications is critical got know what your facing. So what about getting my HAM license and learn how to run a HAM radio? So what other skills would you suggest studying up on?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A book that I have is Medicine: For Mountaineering and Other Wilderness Activities. Even with some of the more advanced topics in the book, the rule is to evacuate as soon as possible; problem with SHTF scenarios is that evacuation may not be possible for extended periods of time or indefinitely.

Guest oldsmobile98

A couple of good posts about this at Survivalblog:

http://www.survivalblog.com/2009/06/it_will_be_skills_not_gear_tha.html

http://www.survivalblog.com/2007/04/letter_re_advice_on_where_to_l.html

You got some of the big ones: first aid and communication. When I cease to be broke, I'd like to look into these. Basic sewing would be good to know so that you can patch up clothing. Knowing how to build stuff with hand tools as well as power tools would be great as well. Knowing a few different ways to purify water and orienteering with map & compass and/or sun & stars couldn't hurt. Wow, I have a lot to learn....I guess at least I still know how to make a tin foil hat.

Edited by oldsmobile98

Firestarting and shelterbuilding are probably one of the most important. You are right, gear is important, but I would much rather have a ton of knowledge. I can start a fire with a bowdrill, flint and steel, firesteel, and the military magnesium block. I have started a fire after 5 days of solid rain. It took awhile to get it going, and you have to baby it, but it can be done.

Sewing is easy to learn, and I have saved a TON of money over the years doing it. I have modified every piece of kit I carry hiking, and sewing is invaluable. I sew with dental floss, much sturdier than thread. I keep a roll of dental floss and 2 needles wrapped around a Bic lighter that I carry with me everywhere. I also always carry a pocketknife, small diamond rod, about 20' of paracord, military magnesium block, small LED light.

Edited by ab28
...HAM radio ,in my opinion, is not worth the time. How are you going to power the radio?

Certainly for a while, HAM could be the only real source of extended regional info.

DC power, of course, car batteries mainly.

Recharged from solar or from generators and vehicles until gas/diesel is gone.

Anyone making bio fuel can keep the diesels running longer.

'Course, unless in a Faraday cage or something, they could all be fried in an EMP to being with.

Heck, if you want to think of really long time, folks will be able again make steam engines driving generators. Heck, Jay Leno does now. Really.

- OS

The best thing I can think of is this,..

Push yourself outside your comfort zone, under semi controlled circumstances..

build a fire with a magnesium stick( problem) for morning coffee (reward) some Saturday

go walk in the woods and get "lost" in an area with roads on all 4 sides,

track some deer... make a lean~to chop a thick branch with your knife... carefully or you might need that First Aid class.. add that to your list also

get comfortable with doing something you may have to do someday before you need to do it...

I will be on the river Kayaking tomorrow 36 degree water and a wind chill of 22-26

my "kit" will include several things, from my basic hunting kit to a few boxes of "therma care" heat wraps as back up in case it gets too cold.. is this survival training? not specifically,.. but it gets me out of my comfort zone of lounging on the couch on my day off..keeping me using my senses and skills to navigate ( again a controlled area, river) under conditions other than a July warm and sunny day...mental stress of cold,wind and the other kayaker relying on me...

So it isn't a "Bug out scenario" but it will get me thinking in the survival mindset. and your mindset is important , if you don't practice it it atrophies just like any muscle..

John

P.S. my Garmin ,cell phone and ID will be in the boat if it gets "really bad"

Guest TurboniumOxide

I am going in all possible directions regarding SHTF preparedness. Stuff and Skills. I have learned to pick locks, suture wounds, identify edible mushrooms and herbs, distill water, start fires, navigate, tie knots, and make snares. Boy Scout stuff I never got to do before.

I am reading lots of books, and getting more exercise. Remember Rule #1.

Guest marine77
A couple of good posts about this at Survivalblog:

SurvivalBlog.com

SurvivalBlog.com

You got some of the big ones: first aid and communication. When I cease to be broke, I'd like to look into these. Basic sewing would be good to know so that you can patch up clothing. Knowing how to build stuff with hand tools as well as power tools would be great as well. Knowing a few different ways to purify water and orienteering with map & compass and/or sun & stars couldn't hurt. Wow, I have a lot to learn....I guess at least I still know how to make a tin foil hat.

Definitely a very good site, i highly recommend it.

As stated earlier this is mostly boy scout stuff. And if you eant to learn this stuff and and spend very little money then call the local boy scout office and find out about how you can Volunter. We are always looking for good adult role models and assitance in running a scout program in your area. I have been involved for 15 years now have no kids of my own in the program and have learned more and done more than i thougth i would or could ever do.

CPR class should be beneficial. First Aid class (at least as taught by the Am. Red Cross) is just about worthless. "Apply direct pressure. Don't move the head, neck or spine. Call 911." That's all they're going to give you in First Aid.

I'm looking for something like a First Responder course. From what I understand, it is supposed to bridge the gap between 1st Aid and EMT-Basic. Roughly 40 hours of class work, I believe. I'm also lead to believe that some Fire/Rescue squads will sometimes provide the training at little to no cost for First Responder Volunteers. If anyone has any insight to this, please respond.

If your Fire department doesn't have it, look into your Police/Sheriff's department. Our Sheriff's department has a volunteer Emergency Services division. They teach you pretty much the stuff you are looking for plus a few other things in a 3-4month training course. Their only requirement for training is so many hours per month service. Here's their site so you can get an idea. I was going to do it but couldn't get a physician's sign off in time. Emergency Services

If your Fire department doesn't have it, look into your Police/Sheriff's department. Our Sheriff's department has a volunteer Emergency Services division. They teach you pretty much the stuff you are looking for plus a few other things in a 3-4month training course. Their only requirement for training is so many hours per month service. Here's their site so you can get an idea. I was going to do it but couldn't get a physician's sign off in time. Emergency Services

Thanks. I'll look into it.

CPR class should be beneficial. First Aid class (at least as taught by the Am. Red Cross) is just about worthless. "Apply direct pressure. Don't move the head, neck or spine. Call 911." That's all they're going to give you in First Aid.

I'm looking for something like a First Responder course. From what I understand, it is supposed to bridge the gap between 1st Aid and EMT-Basic. Roughly 40 hours of class work, I believe. I'm also lead to believe that some Fire/Rescue squads will sometimes provide the training at little to no cost for First Responder Volunteers. If anyone has any insight to this, please respond.

I'm currently in a "traditional" First Responder course (60 hours) and they are getting harder to find in Tennessee, because (as I understand it) the state is preparing to phase out First Responders, and merge them with EMT-Basics.

As to the survival aspect of the thread, there are bountiful "Wilderness First Responder" courses out there provided by private training companies, but they tend to run on the pricey side.

The American Red Cross runs a "Wilderness First Aid" 2 day course structured differently than their regular first aid offerings. I know that the Murfreesboro Red Cross is offering this course later this month for $ 100.

http://www.midtnredcross.org/HealthSafetyClasses.html

I'm currently in a "traditional" First Responder course (60 hours) and they are getting harder to find in Tennessee, because (as I understand it) the state is preparing to phase out First Responders, and merge them with EMT-Basics.

As to the survival aspect of the thread, there are bountiful "Wilderness First Responder" courses out there provided by private training companies, but they tend to run on the pricey side.

The American Red Cross runs a "Wilderness First Aid" 2 day course structured differently than their regular first aid offerings. I know that the Murfreesboro Red Cross is offering this course later this month for $ 100.

CPR, AED, First Aid Courses

Thanks for the info. The Wilderness First Aid may be my best bet.