Need imput on possible .22lr scopes

Guest bubruins

Guest bubruins

I searched for similar questions/comments but surprisingly I didn't find any. I've seen that many people on this forum own a .22 long rifle so I figured that I'd ask what scope setup you are using.

I'll be mounting this on top of a $50 semi-auto rifle (Sears and Roebuck model 34 - same as a High Standard) that is used for plinking and the occasional groundhog. When plinking, i generally shoot from 20yds-80yds with the 22's through iron sights. I have limited shooting experience through a scope; this is primarily why I want to add one to the top of this rifle. I have seen 4x20 scopes sell on eBay for as little as $7 shipped and a tasco 3-7x20 sell for $19 shipped. Both of these have the .22 ring clamp things that look poorly made compared to other scope rings. Does anyone have any experience with either of these scopes? I feel like it would be silly to mount a 3-9x50 on top of a $50 .22 rifle but that is just based on my understanding so far.

Also, if you have another scope that is working well for you on your .22 please let me know. I'm limited to about $50 for the scope.

Edited by bubruins
grammatical error
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... I feel like it would be silly to mount a 3-9x50 on top of a $50 .22 rifle but that is just based on my understanding so far.

Bushnell 3-9x32 Rimfire is $37 free shipping from Amazon.

It comes with rings that fit the small 3/8" "tip off" groove, which sounds like what's on the rifle?

Amazon.com: Bushnell .22 Rimfire 3-9x32 Riflescope (Black): Sports & Outdoors

Anyway, it's a pretty bright scope and has rep of being durable. Have it on two of mine, so far I like them fine.

'Course, I put a BSA 2-7 from Wally, skinny little sucker, on a Mossberg Plinkster. It has done ok for $16.95, although eye relief has to be pretty precise.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Bushnell 3-9x32 Rimfire is $37 free shipping from Amazon.

It comes with rings that fit the small 3/8" "tip off" groove, which sounds like what's on the rifle?

Amazon.com: Bushnell .22 Rimfire 3-9x32 Riflescope (Black): Sports & Outdoors

Anyway, it's a pretty bright scope and has rep of being durable. Have it on two of mine, so far I like them fine.

- OS

Diddo. Have one on my 10/22 and it works just fine. Not too big either.

Guest bubruins

Thanks for all of the input. I think that I will wind up getting a 3-9x32 like the Bushnell. It's good to hear that a $40 3-9x32 is actually a quality investment for a farm gun like this one. I was a little afraid that any 3-9 power scope in this price range would not be a good shooter out to 80 yards or so.

Thanks for all of the input. I think that I will wind up getting a 3-9x32 like the Bushnell. It's good to hear that a $40 3-9x32 is actually a quality investment for a farm gun like this one. I was a little afraid that any 3-9 power scope in this price range would not be a good shooter out to 80 yards or so.

It'll do ya well at any distance, trick is deciding what distance to zero it.

Got mine set at 50 yards right now, does very well, even though the stock 10/22s are not tackdrivers. At 100-120 yards, drop is 5-9 inches, depending on ammo, and for the most part I can use the bottom of the vertical crosshair, where it first fattens up, to hit 9" plate while leaving the zero at 50. This with just cheapo bulk.

Or you can zero it at a longer distance and just learn how much hold under to do at shorter differences. All kinds of methods, just depends on distance at which you want to be the most precise with the mighty .22LR, or say, distance you will likely see the most squirrels if that's what you're after.

- OS

I love my J.C.Higgins Model 34. I bought the cheapest Wally World scope and it "works" but I wish I'd bought a nicer one... You do have the narrow 3/8 inch mounting groove. Currently I just scrape chalk on the front sight but will probably invest in a quality rimfire scope in the near future. Or an adapter for my Eotech :down: In optics I believe that you get what you pay for. Have fun shooting your 50+ year old rifle!

Guest musiccitymadman

I have a bushnell 3-9x32 on a .50 cal muzzleloader that is awsome @100 yrds. I have a 4x32 on a savage model 87d .22 that shoots 5 shot patterns 3/4" @ 50 yrds I have several .22s and this old savage is better than my mossbergs or my marlin 60's

Guest cheez

Stay away from the 20 mm scopes. Poor field of view and most are not of very good quality. I say stay at 32 mm objective or greater. Lots of 40 mm scopes available within your price range. Wally and BPS both have some. I am of the school that thinks someone should buy the best scope they can afford for any rifle. There is little substitute for quality optics.

JMHO

I would not spend more than 40 bucks for a scope for a .22. You can get a scope that works well and comes with rings in this price range.

I can afford a expensive scope, but I am not paying that kind of money to target shoot, or even squirrel hunt with a .22.

a 3x9x32 or 40 should do you more than fine.

Although I have switched over to the Nikon ProStaff 4X32mm for all my .22s, I used a Bushnell 4X32 for years on my Marlin 60 and it was a good scope (around 35-40 dollars.) It now sits on one of my gransons' guns and is still delivering squirrel meat for the pot. I switched to Nikon because of their light gathering power (Getting older and eyes need help), but they are pretty pricey ($130+)

I think you would be on the money with the Bushnell. I don't buy into the 2/3 for the rifle and 1/3 for the scope school. Most rifles and cartridges (including the .22 LR) are capable of better accuracy than your eyesight can deliver. My deer rifle is a 30-06 ($500 rifle) with a Leupold ($800) scope on it! I need the expensive scope to be able to wring the accuracy out that the gun and cartridge can deliver. I wouldn't get too excited about a variable power scope for a .22LR. A good 4X will take care of everything you are going to use a $50 rifle for.

I carried a 3-9X scope on a sniper rifle in the jungle for 3 years (USMC) and never took the scope off 5X. Unless you are hunting mountain goats or antelope (not likely with a .22LR) variable power is highly over-rated. At the range you will use your rimfire, 4X is plenty of magnification. Sight it in at 20 yards and you will be in the kill zone for small game for as far as you can see them.

I always recommend for folks to go with the 4X32MM for a rimfire. Go together like bread and butter.

Guest Bowdenknxvll

You have a ton of options for a scope. It depends on what you will do with it. If it is just for plinking and squirrel hunting a 4x fixed scope will fit the bill nicely. You can get an early eighties Weaver 4x fixed pretty cheap off of ebay. There are also some decent deals on some AO scopes at Natchez and Sportmans Warehouse for less than $100.00. I have had good luck with the Weaver shotgun scope from Natchez and the Intensity line of scopes from Sportsmans. They are $300.00 scopes for around $65.00 to $75.00 on closeout. I think Walmart sells a Centerpoint rimfire scope for around $50.00 with red and green illumination that I have heard good things about for a cheaper scope. Just be sure it is a rimfire scope set to 50yds so you won't have issues with parallax. You can adjust a 100yd scope to 50, but it takes time unless it has AO.