Photography shooters in the house?

Shima

My wife is wanting a better camera than what we have and so since I know little about them, I come to the TGO community for input as I would if I were spending that much money on a gun. I know some folks here are into photography and know alot more than I do. That being said, our price range is around $600. She's looking at this one. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Shima

Sam's Club - Canon EOS Rebel XSi 12.2MP Digital Camera

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a Nikon P90 I like to take pictures of the outdoors with, landscapes, etc... even out at the range. I wouldn't consider myself a 'photographer' by any means though. It's just nice to have a way to capture a high-resolution 'moment' when it catches my eye.

The XSi is a great starter camera. Good build quality, the shutter has a long life, and AF is very good. She should be quite happy with it.

Just don't let her get sucked into the whole "I have this awesome camera that takes awesome pictures" thing.

Only two thing in photography matter, what's in front of the camera, and what's behind the camera.

My wife is wanting a better camera than what we have and so since I know little about them, I come to the TGO community for input as I would if I were spending that much money on a gun. I know some folks here are into photography and know alot more than I do. That being said, our price range is around $600. She's looking at this one. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Shima

Sam's Club - Canon EOS Rebel XSi 12.2MP Digital Camera

All I can tell you is to go here... Digital Cameras, Digital Camera Reviews - The Imaging Resource! ... and start reading. It's where I went before I bought our first one, and it helped a lot.

J.

+1 for Canon!

Little hint - The best investment you can make into photography isn't the camera itself, but the lenses you buy for it. I would recommend Canon's 50mm prime lens to supliment the kit lens. It doesn't zoom but makes wonderful low light pics and portraits. Plus it's only around $99 on the web. With the kit lens and the prime, you should be able to cover just about anything you would encounter in a normal situation.

The XSi is a great starter camera. Good build quality, the shutter has a long life, and AF is very good. She should be quite happy with it.

Just don't let her get sucked into the whole "I have this awesome camera that takes awesome pictures" thing.

Only two thing in photography matter, what's in front of the camera, and what's behind the camera.

This is great advice. If you wanted to save a bit, you could try for a used XTi, which is a generation earlier. Both will take great pics. I'm a fan of buying slightly used gear, usually a generation old. In fact, I just picked up a used Canon 20d for $250 that I use to backup my 5d.

I also second the 50mm lens addition. Either the 50 f/1.8 for $100 or the slightly more expensive 50 f/1.4 for $300 are both excellent lenses and will be indispensable for low light. If I only could have one lens, it would be my 50 f/1.4. Many photographers quickly outgrow the kit lens if they are serious about photography.

Combine the 50 f/1.8 with the 20d and for $350 you are taking excellent professional quality photographs, provided you know what you are doing.

Great photographs are mostly the photographer, then the lenses, then the camera.

Here is a great forum for used camera gear, great reputation...

Buy & Sell - FM Forums

Ok, forgive my ignorance. She said she could get an older model, the XS with a slightly smaller display than the 3" XSI display and 10 mp instead of 12 mp on the XSI, but it comes with a EF 75-300 4-5.6 lens. What does all that mean? I saw a picture of it, and that does look like a bigger lens, but a camera with less bells and whistles. Decisions, decisions...

Ok, forgive my ignorance. She said she could get an older model, the XS with a slightly smaller display than the 3" XSI display and 10 mp instead of 12 mp on the XSI, but it comes with a EF 75-300 4-5.6 lens. What does all that mean? I saw a picture of it, and that does look like a bigger lens, but a camera with less bells and whistles. Decisions, decisions...

That camera would also be fine, you won't notice the 2 mp difference. However, the 75-300 lens is basically junk unless you are out on a sunny day. It will be hard to get steady shots at those apertures. It's also not wide enough to cover most "normal" focal length needs. It will be the equivalent of approx 110mm on the widest end, which is quite close. Is that the only lens included or is it an additional lens to the 18-55mm? Those kit lenses are very difficult to sell as well when you wish to upgrade.

A decent value for an all around lens is the EF 28-135mm with Image Stabilizer. It's not exceptionally great, especially for pro use, but it will work for many users. You may consider buying the camera body only and pick up one of these lenses, it will be a much nicer experience. Should be about $250 on the used market.

The Canon will make her happy. Pics are typically better than a point and shoot. Also she'll have the option of using different lenses.

I have a couple of Canon digital bodies. One is an older Rebel XTI that I use every day for work. Very dependable.

Here's a great site for used lenses that I've used for probably 10 years.

Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras ? Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Leica & More - KEH.com

+1 to most everything collinp2 said...

Save some cash and get a nice used camera body. Spend your money on the lenses.. that 28-135 is excellent. Canon brand lenses work best.

Don't get hung up on 10 MP vs 15 MP... a good 10 MP image will make poster sized enlargements. Anything more is over-kill and just fills up your hard-drive IMO.

Dont' get hung up on LCD size... use the viewfinder with an SLR. *gasp*

B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders

Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras ? Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Leica & More - KEH.com

and if you're a savy buyer... ebay.

I have the Nikon D60 with the Kit lenses. They work well enough for me. The 55-200 is great when I am outside and taking pictures of the kids or at the Zoo for getting up close and personal with the animals.

As for buying used - I don't have a problem with it as long as the equipment is in good shape.

IF there is a camera store in town you should go there.

Before you drop a lot of cash on a dSLR...

1) Make sure she's comfortable lugging it around. I used to carry a small film SLR with me, and made the jump to digital. Several dSLR's since then, I haven't found one that's made me happy enough to want to carry the bulk everywhere I go. IMHO, they ALL suck compared to a film camera. Unless you want to spend 300+ for a single lens, that is.

2) Lenses. The stock lens that comes with a Canon sucks. Big time. If you're happy with the stock lens, you may as well get a high end point and shoot. They have comparable or slightly better lenses, they're cheaper, you don't have to worry about getting dust on the sensor, and they're more compact.

3) If you're not going to spend a lot of time retouching photographs and shooting in raw...get a high end point and shoot.

4) Does she know the basics of photography? If not, it really is better to get a cheaper camera, learn the basics, and then step it up to the DSLR if she wants to get fancy. It's really quite useless to get a DSLR and then stick it in automatic mode and go to town with a 16GB card.

5) Finally, what is she going to use this for? Portraiture? Landscapes? Quick images of friends? Sports photography? The point and shoot isn't really suited for that last one, but it will definitely work like a charm for the others.

I've had a 30D, 10D, 20D, E-420, E-520, Nikon D40...They all shoot pretty much the same. One of my favorite lenses is a Zuiko 50mm/1.4. I have an adapter for Canon and Oly, and guess what, once it's on, all the cameras shoot the same.

If she really wants a DSLR, then go for it. I saw at Wal-Mart that they had the E-420 for 399 w/ kit lens. That's a killer price for such a small dSLR with a decent kit lens. Or you can look for a used one. But really consider what you're going to need it for, or it's going to gather dust.

If you want to get her a great point and shoot, then I would look at a Panasonic LX3 or Canon S90. I have both. The LX3 has a 24mm wide angle lens, the S90 28mm. Both are fast F2.0 apertures. Canon is smaller, but the Panny has a better lens. Canon has a better sensor. I use the Canon more. It can be a set it and forget it camera, or you can put it in fully-manual mode.

• Administrator

Brian...

I've got a Canon 30D that I am probably going to let go of pretty soon so that I can move up to a 50D. It's a great DSLR and brings a bit more to the table than the Rebel series does, and I could give you the "in-neighborhood hookup" as far as pricing goes. :stare:

If she wants to get into SLR's be prepared to spend money. Quality Lenses are very expensive. I suggested the Canon S-90 for her, if I were you I would get that for her first. It is an exceptional camera. The next camera that I will be getting is a Canon EOS 5D Mark II, this will be a huge investment for me but this body should last me a long time and I will save and buy lenses one at a time.

Guest no_masters
Brian...

I've got a Canon 30D that I am probably going to let go of pretty soon so that I can move up to a 50D. It's a great DSLR and brings a bit more to the table than the Rebel series does, and I could give you the "in-neighborhood hookup" as far as pricing goes. :screwy:

I would go for this for her honestly, let her fully learn the capabilities of the camera before she starts dumping lots of money into it. A 30D is a great camera and has enough features to keep her occupied. Once she learns that she can buy lenses and a new body.