Where's Our Cartoon Gun Representation?

Guest jackdm3

Guest jackdm3

Was watching "The Iron Giant" (about a boy and his new pet robot) on-line and didn't think much of it until the scene after the hunters shoot a deer. The pertinent part is over at 58 seconds.

After this scene, the robot gets sad because it died and the boy says, "I know you're upset about the deer. But it's not your fault. Things die. It's part of life. It's bad to kill." But the kid conveniently forgot where his "cold chicken in the icebox" came from!

I know it's stupid, but when was the last time you saw a recent animated film/cartoon that was at least neutral-gun? This is all I could find.

Edited by jackdm3
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When was the last time you saw Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd, Road-Runner or any of the other good cartoons on TV? Airings are few and far between now.

Too violent for the delicate children of today.

I distinctly remember some "movement" against these particular 'toons back in the '80's. :D

Guest jackdm3

I hope Elmer proves to be immortal. Good on Geico!

And please. Somebody find something else kinda new, quick. I've got the shakes!

Edited by jackdm3
Guest mosinon

There is some weird thing about repeatable acts that have doomed the classic cartoons. So, as I understand it, it is okay to show. So Timmy Turner from the fairly odd parents can fly a spaceship and blow stuff up and that is okay cause your kid doesn't have a spaceship. Bugs Bunny putting his fingers (which is weird, bunnies don't have fingers) is not okay because your kid might try to jam their fingers in the barrel when threatened with a gun.

This is a really maddening thing for me, I don't find cartoons any less entertaining today but I think they are aimed for at adults with all the inside jokes than at kids. Plus, I watched a ton of three stooges as a child. This show not only boosted my self esteem (nice to know I was smarter than those guys) but after hitting people in the head with a hammer two dozen times I learned that TV was fake.

I'm kidding. We sell our kids short, they aren't stupid enough to think dynamite blows down or something. My kid gets to watch the classics online. And it turns out that Popeye doesn't make him eat spinach. Though he did get some anchor tats on his fore arms cause olive oyl is H-O-T

What's wrong with emphasizing to children that guns kill? It seems to me they were trying to teach children that guns are dangerous.

What bothered me is them going further to show the robot's anger over killing a deer, and setting it up as if the hunter killed the deer for no reason.

Guest mustangdave

Truth be told...those KIDS cartoon as we refer to them now...Bugs...Yosimite Sam...Tom and Jerry...etc. Back in the 30's-40's...that stuff was VERY adult in nature. these were run in theaters before the movies...

I have the Jonny Quest season on DVD. My kids love it.

One of the neat things in watching it now is that not only do the

characters have guns but they also actually SHOOT PEOPLE!!! LOL!!

LOOK OUT!!! Kid Sniper on the ROOF!! (And Haji with a SWORD!!) :tough:

quest_w_gun.jpg

The cover where I got my Avatar...

Comico_Cover.jpg

Oh yeah... and Race Bannon's hot girl friend... Jade.

(Yes... Race Bannon was a confident Heterosexual!)

Jade_cover.jpg

Don't see that in today's stuff. :D

Also love this image...

Batman-2nd-Amendment.jpg

In the orginal classic comics of Batman, he carried guns on his belt.

I remember seeing some pages where he carried 1911s.

Here is a neat write up about it. <Click Here>

And let's not forget The Shadow!!

How cooler can you get than having two 1911's in your hands! LOL!!

250px-TheShadowComic01.jpg

Edited by creeky
Truth be told...those KIDS cartoon as we refer to them now...Bugs...Yosimite Sam...Tom and Jerry...etc. Back in the 30's-40's...that stuff was VERY adult in nature. these were run in theaters before the movies...

Very true and that was one of their beauties. Parents could watch them with their kids and everyone enjoyed it. These days I have a hard time watching some of these cartoons that are out.

When was the last time you saw Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd, Road-Runner or any of the other good cartoons on TV? Airings are few and far between now.

Too violent for the delicate children of today.

I distinctly remember some "movement" against these particular 'toons back in the '80's. :P

Sad that they arent on anymore. I bought em on DVD a few months back.....I watch em every saturday morning with a bowl of lucky charms. :P

Guest mustangdave
Nothing has been better than the Looney Toons, IMHO. Even as an adult they are funny.

+1000...the BOOMARANG Channel has all the good stuff on it...Looney Tunes...Johnny Quest...etc Cartoon Network just about stinks now.

You will go far in life. :P

haha. Good lessons learned from my father. He was self employed when I was growing up so always home when I came home from school. I remember hearing him laughing HYSTERICALLY and wondering what he was doing...i walked into the entertainment room and he was watching reruns of Looney Tunes. Ill never forget how hard he was laughing...He told me theyd "keep me young and sharp"