Good Gunshops in Knoxville

Guest RGL01

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a new place in Maryville called Bill's Outpost. Just got his FFL recently so still building stock, but super nice guy with very good prices. Prices and customer service well worth the drive south.

I've gotten good service from Frontier Firearms in Kingston (20 min drive), Ensley's Shooting Supply in Louisville, Craig's Firearms (you have to military or LEO) and Austin's Tn Firearms in Oak Ridge. I've been in Bill's Outpost a couple of times and would not hesitate to do business with him, although I haven't had the chance to yet.

I will not step into Coal Creek Armory again and was not particularly impressed with Gunny's when I went in there either.

Edited by Major Kong
Kingston, not Kingsport
Guest Basevol

[quote name=

I will not step into Coal Creek Armory again and was not particularly impressed with Gunny's when I went in there either.[/quote]

Help me out and tell me why you won't go back to coal creek.

may save me some problems ,Thanks

I've gotten good service from Frontier Firearms in Kingsport (20 min drive), Ensley's Shooting Supply in Louisville, Craig's Firearms (you have to military or LEO) and Austin's Tn Firearms in Oak Ridge. I've been in Bill's Outpost a couple of times and would not hesitate to do business with him, although I haven't had the chance to yet.

I will not step into Coal Creek Armory again and was not particularly impressed with Gunny's when I went in there either.

Does this Ensley's Shooting Supply actually have a storefront, i've never seen it but remember seeing the name on an ffl list somewhere. I'm in Louisville all the time but have never seen it.

Basevol, simply put- I've never felt like Coal Creek wanted my business. Their employees are generally condescending and disinterested in anything except talking amongst themselves and to their select group of mall-ninja comrades. I truly wish it wasn't the case- I live about 10 minutes from Coal Creek and would love to have a good working relationship with them.

Jeremy, Ray Ensley does have a storefront but he's hard to find if you don't know where to look. He primarily works the gun show circuit and through the internet, but he's been willing to order anything I've ever asked of him. You won't find much (if anything) in stock at his place. He also does $20 transfers, so he's a good place to use if you buy from Bud's or Whittaker's in KY.

Does this Ensley's Shooting Supply actually have a storefront, i've never seen it but remember seeing the name on an ffl list somewhere. I'm in Louisville all the time but have never seen it.

Give him a call. His place is hard to find and his "storefront" in down in a hollow as i remember.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Leroy

I bought my first gun at Frontier Firearms in Kingston. Great customer service and competitive pricing as well. Gunny's is average at best. I plan on going to Bill's Outpost soon to see what he has. Best of luck!

Edited by Shima
I've gotten good service from Frontier Firearms in Kingsport (20 min drive), Ensley's Shooting Supply in Louisville, Craig's Firearms (you have to military or LEO) and Austin's Tn Firearms in Oak Ridge. I've been in Bill's Outpost a couple of times and would not hesitate to do business with him, although I haven't had the chance to yet.

Frontier firearms is in Kingston, not Kingsport. They are friendly and helpful, their stock is somewhat limited. They will be opening a new store in a month or two, should have lots more room.

Same here on Coal Creek, they are jerks in there.

If you don't mind a little drive then go to Farnsworth Firearms in Vonore. They have an indoor range attached and they offer one free range visit with each gun purchase. I went in Coal Creek last Thursday and it took 10 minutes for the two guys standing behind the counter to say anything to me. I had money in my pocket to buy but I just told them I wasn't interested anymore since it took so long and walked out.

Guest tnvolfan

I have been to all the places that you folks are talking about, but I will tell you about the South Clinton Pawn Shop. This place is about 85% new guns, but they also get some great deals on used guns. Last Saturday, I took my daughter's mother-in-law to go gun shopping, and she bought a used, stainless steel Smith & Wesson Model 64-8 Revolver, very good condition, for $275. It was part of a special purchase on a specific lot of used guns. They will bargain, they will do a layaway, they will work with you. They have an excellent variety of guns, but they do not carry Kimbers. It's worth the trip -- on the right, a red sign, on Clinton Hwy as you travel from K-town to Clinton. Another friend bought a Ruger SR-556 there for $1495 before Christmas. Check them out.

Guest Rccola

;)+3 for Sevier indoor range. The staff is super nice and knowledgeable plus they have the nicest indoor range I've ever been to.

I've never had a problem at Gunny's or Coal Creek for that matter although Coal Creek should do something about that range...

Guest Basevol

I've been to Gander Mountain in Knoxville-- What a joke

took a HCP at coal creek I guess OK, but don't know much about them.

Randy's Guns and Knives, another joke, over priced,

I've not had much luck in Knoxville, even in the pawn shops, seems everybody is a expert but, no one knows what there talking about,

Guest mikedwood

Area shops I like within 25 miles or so

Austin's Tennessee Firearms - in Oak Ridge. Mike is great and also a great trainer and will answer your questions and give some real good advice. Even some tricks and tips to save money. I think Austin's the the best for a new shooter and also for the experienced shooter he will get real compeditive on price if you know what you want and order it. Don is a great guy as well and has been shooting a loooooooonnnnnggggg time. He's very helpful and I love their "guns are fun attitude"

Personal Defense - off Watt Road. He's a real nice guy with a large selection for the size of the shop. They know about guns, aren't pushy but if you have a question or want to see something they jump. They are real nice and the prices are great as well.

South Clinton Pawn - they do have a nice selection and some great deals. I think for a new shooter the two above would be much better places to start. (I dunno if the OP is a new shooter or not, just putting that out there.)

Places that i'm luke warm on at best.

Frontier - I bought my 1st gun there it's changed since then. The service isn't there like it was and the staff doesn't seem to care as much about being helpful, plus prices seem to have shot through the roof there. They use to be very competitive price wise. Now they are about as high as that goose mountain place.

Gunny's - I was a member at the range before it opened. It has changed so much I don't recognize a soul there anymore nor the place itself. I use to love Gunny's, some decent prices and the staff and customers were so friendly, some of those old shooters in Maryville are the nicest guys.

Coal Creek - They have some really good prices on new guns IF!!!!! you can get someone there to sell you one. They will just walk off for no apparent reason like they left the coffee pot on at home and suddenly remembered it. The staff is disinterested at best and it's just not my kinda place. The range there scares me. It's not that I have seen anything more unsafe than any other range, it's the look in some of the customers eyes and the attitude they hit the range with.

That's my take on the local ones I go to or for whatever reason use to go to.

Frontier firearms is in Kingston, not Kingsport. They are friendly and helpful, their stock is somewhat limited. They will be opening a new store in a month or two, should have lots more room.

And a range.

Same here on Coal Creek, they are jerks in there.

Bought my first handgun a CCA, took my HCP class there. It was OK then(2008) but I saw them sliding downhill. Dealt with a few jerks there myself.

I'll take a stab at this even though I haven't been to alot of these places.

Bills Outpost: New, guy running the shop when I was there was very nice and friendly, excellent prices on what they had. I have a good feeling about them.

Farnsworth Firearms: I use them to do practically all of my transfers because they are very close and I get a kick out of their shop. They always seem to have some oddities in there as well, a buddy of mine said he saw a red 9 in there one day but passed on it:slap:. The Bob's are very nice and easy to deal with, the other guy i've dealt with in there isn't very nice at all but his attitude entertains me. Alot of their used guns are extremely overpriced (no idea why) but their new guns are very well priced. I wouldn't hesitate to let them order me something and their range is cheap!!! $5 and a free target!

Gunnys: Haven't been there in a while, but when I first visited some of the folks were super, liked to help alot. The prices were insane on guns though. Range is overpriced, membership is overpriced, and current staff i'm not too sure about.

CCA: Haven't really done any business there since it was GunCraft back in the day (6-7 years ago) and back then the staff didn't impress me. Some old man blessed me out for shooting my SELECT fire xd or glock (can't remember what I had at the time). I tried explaining to him that the guy at the end of the range appeared to have a select fire (burst fire) h&k or something and that my gun wasn't capable of that rate of fire. He said 'oh, it sounded like it was right here next to me' then he heard it again a went off on me. That being said, i've been there once since it was CCA and had my 1911 refinished. The guy I dealt with was awesome, very friendly...practically begged me to put my new grips on. Can't speak for prices didn't pay any attention to them.

Bentons: WHAT A SELECTION! They literally have everything, huge showroom, higher prices than most but i've had nothing but excellent customer service experiences with them.

I've been in Austins once, they seemed like great guys. Let me in about a half hour before they opened cause I had somewhere to be and let me check the guns out while they were getting them out of the vault. Didn't think they had much, but I probably didn't see everything either.

Edited by jeremy155rr
sp

Ditto on Farnworth Firearms in Vonore. Nice people to deal with, good prices on their new stock, range time is the cheapest we've found. They only charge $60 for the HCP class and all you have to bring is your gun and 50 rounds of ammo. Avoid the store between noon and 1pm on Saturday though because if they are having a class, that's when they break for lunch and it gets busy fast with people buying ammo at the last minute for class. The store itself resembles a garage sale or flea market booth, not the most organized but fun to browse through and they had the largest stock of 9x18 Makarov ammo we'd found anywhere! (That stuff is about impossible to find short of internet or gun shows, FF always had several boxes)

Gunny's is good in a pinch for range time. They occasionally run promotions like the valentines weekend thing were ladies shot free and their men were half price. As a female, I liked seeing they had a female employee who really seemed to have a good knowledge of what she was selling. She gave me some suggestions on good target and carry pistols (from a woman's point of view). But they are higher on their gun prices. Usually between Benton's and Farnsworths.

Benton Shooter's Supply.. like Bass Pro Shops for gun lovers. They have alot of fun stuff to look at and will let you touch anything in the cases. They actually walked off while I was holding two of their handguns.. that was an awkward feeling. But they are also the highest priced of the bunch and it's a long drive.

CCA.. We went, we looked, we were ignored. Prices about the same as Gunny's, if not a bit higher. They seem to have a rather large range (especially compared to Farnsworth's 6 stalls) but we never stepped foot inside.. nobody seemed to want to help us and there was a crowd of people standing around clogging up the counter either waiting to be waited on or just bs'ing. Was hard to tell. Never got to so much as TOUCH a gun there much less get any info on them. Won't be back.

Loudon County Sportsman - Lenoir City - another one of those "mom and pop" style gunshops. Very friendly owner, no range but had prices right in line with Farnsworth (aka cheaper than the bigger guys).

Haven't been to Frontier (we were going to head that way but called them first to check a couple prices and decided it wasn't worth the extra drive to pay more than we could locally. Where is Bill's?