Do any of ya'll practice "Point Shooting"?

I went to the indoor shootin' range today and for the first time, shot at the targets without using my sights. I was surprised at how well I did. At 3 yards and 5 yards I was able to hit the center mass of the target with my snubby, just by pointing the dang thing at the target. I switched to my Ruger Single Six with a 6.5 inch barrel and shot a hundred rounds cowboy style. I didn't do too bad. I think I'm going to start practicing point shooting and see how much better I can get.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jamie

I've practiced point/hip/instinctive shooting for years. And it seems to me that it's like learning to throw something and hit what you're "aiming" at: it takes sending a LOT of ammo downrange to get it right and burn in the muscle memory.

One of the things I discovered that helps a lot is to always use the same gun, since you sort of have to re-learn ( though it seems to be quicker than starting completely from scratch ) where the gun is putting the shots, if you change up.

I guess it's the change in grip shape and such that causes that.

Once you've got it down though, it's not hard to make good hits out to about 15 yards or more without using the sights, or sometimes, without even being able to see the gun.

J.

Guest Halfpint

I point shoot a good bit, both strong and weak hand. Most of my dealings with people these days is over the counter, easily within arms reach. Last thing I would want to do is put a weapon that close to an opponent if it came to that.

Guest Jamie
...both strong and weak hand.

That's another thing folks need to do more; shoot with both hands.

You've got two of 'em, and they both need to be trained in how to operate the gun, independently of the other.

'Cause you never know when you may find yourself in a situation where you can't get both hands on the gun, or the one want to get on the gun.

J.

Guest Halfpint
That's the way Uncle Sam taught me...and those instructors did a good job of drilling it in my head.
+1 I've always shot weak-hand, just in case. Just got more important when I started wearing a flak and kevlar.
Guest Jamie

There's a drill I do now and then that some of you may enjoy, that'll help you with both your point shooting and your draw. It's something I spent many an hour doing over the years, and it's actually quite a bit of fun.

This is best done in front of a slope or berm, but it works fairly well on flat ground, provided you're in a safe place to shoot. ( Sorry, all you indoor range users, but you won't be able to do this one. You'll get thrown out if you try. )

You'll need a gun, obviously, and a good holster that you can draw from. The type of holster is up to you, but I usually use a western "cowboy" holster, or whatever I'm currently using for daily carry. You'll also need a target of some kind. I typically use a drink can, but a 2 liter bottle might be best for starting out.

Now, standing about 10 feet or so from a spot on the berm that's about chest high, take your target in your shooting hand, and pitch it underhanded toward the spot on the berm. Try to draw your gun and shoot the target just as it hits the dirt. I usually put a couple more shots into it as it rolls down the slope.

Yes, you're going to miss a lot at first, but before long, you'll be hitting the can or whatever fairly regularly.

Once you've got the hang of it and start getting good hits, you can increase the distance as you see fit. Doing that is sort of a strange compromise though, since you'll have a bit more time, but the target will be harder to hit.

Anyway, that's one of the "gun games" I play that'll work wonders for you point shooting skills.

ETA.. One of the things I forgot to mention is not to raise the gun any higher than you have to, to get the shot off.

J.

Edited by Jamie

All good and creative ideas. Remember from you HCP class, your eyes are busy watching the BG and watching for that threshold where you fear for your life. Your about to take the life of another but your brain is weighing every detail against the legal boudaries. Your brain is taking info provided by your eyes and it will NOT let you change focus to a little white dot on the end of your barrel, not going to happen. So instinct, muscle memory, experience comes in to help out. You "point shoot"

Guest pws_smokeyjones

Another way I practice point shooting (and muscle memory) at a range is to use a blank white piece of paper for a target. No bullseye or what-not. Pull the gun up, pick an area on the paper you want to hit, squeeze off 5 rounds without looking at the sites - just keeping your eye on the paper. The most important thing - DON'T look at where you are hitting, this will cause you to subconsciously try to adjust your aim. After doing this just a few times, I was absolutely amazed at the tight groups I was getting - some just as good if not better than my "aimed" bullseye shots.

A search of YouTube will show some hand gun drills. One that's fun for all is a variation of the "el presidente" which is a timed event. We use 2 litre soda bottles because they are reactive. Stand two bottles at 3 yards away and say 10 feet apart. Stand two more behind that at 7 yards, then two more at 10 yards (considering skill of shooters). Engage the closest target first "point shoot". Since it is a double tap like "el presidente" your eye and hand will have to follow a moving target. If you hit the bottle on the first shot the bottle will fall or flip or go left or right and you'll need to react to hit it again. Six shots, reload six shots again. My wife runs thru it in about 23 to 25 seconds with her Walther.