S&W model 60 (.38) question...

creeky

I shot one of these this past weekend. My friend has had it basically forever. Really liked the weight and how it felt. Trigger pull was very smooth and nice. (oh yeah, 2" barrel)

Are these no longer made in .38? I noticed on S&W's site they had them in .357 only.

Also are these older ones easy to find used? (Gun shows, pawn shops, etc.) Any idea what a decent price range would be for one?

Wouldn't mind having one if I could pull the funds together. (Which isn't easy right now.)

(Not really a fan of the airweights BTW)

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rockman

I have seen several for sale at the various Knoxville gun shows during the past three to four months. Prices vary considerably and include (1) highly polished for $600; (2) well-used with replacement grips for $450 +tax and state fee; and (3) used with original wood grips for $525 from an individual. All three of these were the original 2" .38 special "no-dash" models. None had the original box.

The original model 60 was the stainless version of the model 36 Chief's Special in .38 special only (not +P). At some point between 1965 and now it morphed into a .357 with a full lug barrel. When that happened I don't know but me likey what it is now. :up:

Smith really blew it on the model numbers in this series. :cool:

Ahhhh... okay. I get it now. That is why on gun broker they call them "mod 60 no dash".

If I am going to have to save up for a used snubby that isn't +P rated... then I guess I just ought to save up for a Colt detective special.

Thanks guys.

(This really is one of TGO's strengths! Getting info like this. :D)

I shot one of these this past weekend. My friend has had it basically forever. Really liked the weight and how it felt. Trigger pull was very smooth and nice. (oh yeah, 2" barrel)

Are these no longer made in .38? I noticed on S&W's site they had them in .357 only.

No.

Also are these older ones easy to find used? (Gun shows, pawn shops, etc.) Any idea what a decent price range would be for one?

Yes. $500.

Wouldn't mind having one if I could pull the funds together. (Which isn't easy right now.)
(Not really a fan of the airweights BTW)

You will be after you carry one for a while.

The 357s will fire a 38 special round without problems. Why are you against the added versatility the 357 gives?

You will be after you carry one for a while.

I have shot the airweights and have friends that carry them.

Just don't enjoy shooting them. Obviously, it would mainly be for carrying but anything I carry I like to try and shoot often.

Use to have an old Taurus model 85 with no hammer spur. Carried it everywhere with little problem. Weight didn't bother me any and it shot fine.

The 357s will fire a 38 special round without problems. Why are you against the added versatility the 357 gives?

Have nothing against them. Wife has a S&W Model 27 with an 8 and 3/8" inch barrel her Dad gave her. Grew up shooting my Dad's Ruger Security Six 2" 357.

Got a Marlin lever in .357 and shoot both through it. Just happen to like a small... but decently weighted snubby. :)

Most .357s snubbys seem to be a little bulky.

*I realize the irony here. After re-reading this I think I am starting to sound more like Goldylocks. "And then she picked up the ruger... and it was too heavy... then she picked up the S&W Airweight and it was too light. Thyen she picked up the Colt Dectective Special! And it was Juuuuuust Right! LOL!!!

I have a model 37, which is a blue, lightweight version of a model 60, a model 640 which is a hammerless version of a model 60, and a 642, which is a lightweight version of the 640. I carry the 642. It is quite a bit lighter than the 640, and has no hammer to poke you or to snag on things like the 37. I can tell very little difference in the recoil of the three revolvers. I'm not trying to argue with you here, I am just presenting a somewhat informed opinion based on my experience. I carry the 642, my wife carries the 37 in a purse, and the heavy 640 stays home in the nightstand.

Edited by gregintenn
Most .357s snubbys seem to be a little bulky.

I think you are confusing models. A J-Frame is the same size whether it is a .38 or a .357.

K-frames and L-frame “Snub Nose†models are bigger.

I doubt you will enjoy shooting either a J-frame or a Colt; I have owned both. They aren’t target or range guns; they are belly guns.

2 ½†K frames (IMO) are enjoyable to shoot and are accurate enough for fun at the range.

I think you are confusing models. A J-Frame is the same size whether it is a .38 or a .357.

K-frames and L-frame “Snub Nose†models are bigger.

You may be right, I think I am getting those models confused.

I doubt you will enjoy shooting either a J-frame or a Colt; I have owned both. They aren’t target or range guns; they are belly guns.

I have shot the J frames, it's just the airweight J frames I didn't care for. I have shot a colt detective special and liked it the most. Put about 30 rounds through it. It is one gun I really would like to own one day. The weight, size, balance and trigger pull just seemded right for me.

I have some stuff I need to get rid of this this spring, I'm hoping to roll that money into a new (or more likely pre-enjoyed :crazy:) pistol.