scope help

Guest gms_77

i can't decide on a scope for my ar so how bout yall that hunt with your ar's tell me what yall use. I plan on using mine to TRY and take some coyotes and all around plinkin'

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mugster

I use a 2x7 for all my hunting needs, whitetail and coyote. I don't know where you are located, but that bass pro outlet down at opry mills mall has a decent scope selection. I'd head down there and check some out. A 0-4x shotgun scope is pretty good too, but they do set parallax at 75 yards vs 100 or 150. I'm running a nikon 2-7 on my ar and like it well enough.

For tn i think a 3x9 is too much power, but it works well out west where the ranges are greater...and thats where the gun magazine guys are.

I suppose it would be nice to ask this now... How are you going to be mounting the scope on the AR? On the flattop, or on the carry handle mount? And if you're mounting on the flattop, do you also have a front sight that will be getting in the way of the optics view?

• 2 months later...
Guest EasilyObsessed

Check out the Millett DMS. 1-4x. There is a 40+ page thread in the optics forums on ar15.com. Quick at 1x for plinking and 4x should be enough for any distance you will probably encounter around here.

• 2 weeks later...

The 2 X 7 suggestion is a very good one. The Leupold Rifleman series in 2 x 7 is very affordable. I struggled with this decision relative to my Stag Model 2. The problem wasn't so much the scope but, the mounts to clear the fold down rear sight.

Anyway, I had been looking at Burris for a long time. I own nothing else but Leupold but, I wanted a low power variable. I found, on "Flea-Bay" before their total "we don't want to be held liable for selling things that may end up in some mentally disturbed person's hands that might kill someone" policy, a Burris 1.75 X 5 power scope.

Like I said, with the exception of a Unertl target scope and two older Weaver fixed power models, I am a Leupold fan. However, this Burris on my M4 Stag is, in a word, superb! Its scale, weight, clarity and field of vision are exceptional and I got it for less than a new 2 x 7 Leupold in the Rifleman series.

Anyway, look at the Burris scopes, even the 3 x 9's are a great deal on "Flea-Bay" and they have the ballistic dots for long range if you have a "full size" AR. Then, buy what you want and can afford but, buy the best you can afford.

(I no longer have the Unertl or the Weavers)

I don’t hunt, but for my flat top I have the standard sights, a holographic sight and a scope. The scope is a VX-I 3-9X40 Leupold. I had a hell of a time finding a one piece scope mount. But I found one at the gun show at the fairgrounds from J&T Distributing out of Kentucky. It was $50 and appears to be very well made.

I haven’t got a chance to try out my long distance set-up yet. It’s a Remington 700 VLS in .308 topped with a Leupold VX-III 6.5-20X40 Long Range with a 30mm tube.

Burris works well on the ARs. Have two, one on a .204 Ruger AR flat top and HAD another on the 458 but broke that one. Burris took care of it though and I just got word yesterday that they are sending me another scope and not bothering to repair the old one. The Fullfield IIs are reasonable and they are backed by the company if there is an issue. (I ran the one that broke through the wringer)

For a mount, check out the Wilson Combat Lo Mount. Solid to both scope and pic rails. Not really that low either. Perfect eye height with the ACE Skeleton stock!

tr-mount.jpg

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/r_lo_mount_scope_mount1.asp

• 2 months later...

For tn i think a 3x9 is too much power, but it works well out west where the ranges are greater...and thats where the gun magazine guys are.

I respectfully disagree. A few years back, I was on a big beanfield just before sunup and spotted a deer at ~175 yards. On 3X, I thought I saw antlers, but wasn't positive. I ran my Redfield 3-9 up to 9X, verified antlers, and downed a 7 point buck. I never would have taken the shot without that scope.

Guest Mugster
I respectfully disagree. A few years back, I was on a big beanfield just before sunup and spotted a deer at ~175 yards. On 3X, I thought I saw antlers, but wasn't positive. I ran my Redfield 3-9 up to 9X, verified antlers, and downed a 7 point buck. I never would have taken the shot without that scope.

Its hard to argue with meat in the pot, and I came up empty on venison this year :(. I still like a 2x7...under 50 yards in tight woods or low light, 2 beats the heck out of three. Even at 50-100 yards on groundhog, I usually stick with 2-4 power. The only time I really like the 9-12x power is punching holes in paper on a nice sunny day out at 300-500 yards.