Got my C&R today!!

I got my hex-head last month from AIM and didn't pay any $10 "hand-select" fee. What showed up floored me. Looks like it just came from the factory! :rofl: It's an RGUNS import with a barely noticable import mark.

I still can't bear to clean off the cosmo and actually use it. :devil:

Oh yeah, doesn't most rifles come shipped with some kind of compound on them? My AK did and the guy at TriCities Gun Store told me what to take it off with but I had forgotten by the time I got home. Did yours come with similar stuff on it? If so, what's the best stuff to use to get it clean. It may get taken to norris this weekend.....

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, doesn't most rifles come shipped with some kind of compound on them? My AK did and the guy at TriCities Gun Store told me what to take it off with but I had forgotten by the time I got home. Did yours come with similar stuff on it? If so, what's the best stuff to use to get it clean. It may get taken to norris this weekend.....

Its called Cosmoline and it protects the wood and metal from rot and rust. It comes off really easily with low and constant heat. disassemble the rifle and set it out in the hot sun all day OR use a hair dryer or heat gun and watch it drip off.

Yes, Cosmoline, a long-term protective grease. The Mosin stock probably won't have too much if any inside the wood with the shellac coating but all the metal will be covered in it.

Actually, just wipe off what you can with a rag and follow up with some good old Hoppe's. That will take all the cosmo off the metal. You can lay it out in the sun for awile to see if anything oozes from the stock.

Like Capbyrd said, you'll want to remove the stock and clean all the metal, inside and out.

If you can, collect all the cosmo you clean off and bottle it up for me. I love the smell of it!

:devil:

Edited by Garufa
update
Whats the process for you C&R guys to get yours in knoxville?

Just like anywhere else, first I buy her a drink...

Do you mean applying for the license or acquiring goodies with it? You order C&R guns from anywhere in the country and they're shipped right to your front door. Individuals, on-line retailers, whatever.

You could also go to any gun dealer in town and use your license without going through TICS, but find a dealer in town that carries any C&R worth a crap. :devil:

The C&R, type 03 ffl, is not a license to engage it the business of selling firearms, only to amass your personal inventory of old guns (50 yrs + roughly), so there aren't any zoning regs or anything else involved. ATF is very particular about that...you cannot start having C&R weapons delivered to the front door and start selling them out the back.

When you apply, a copy is sent to the local Sheriff (by you). I think that's more of a courtesy than anything but the ATF will check your record, local and nationwide, as far as I know.

Yes, you can sell anything from your personal collection anytime you want, but you cannot be in the business of it.

Edited by Garufa

Yeah anybody that is into milsurp rifles and handguns needs a c&r. I've seen Mosins that I know I can order for $100. or less selling in gunshops for 50 bucks more. Thats some markup. I've got my brother and nephew wanting to get a c&r now. Ain't it sweet. Oh yeah about cosmoline. Its rough cleaning the stuff off sometimes but these old rifles would look like crap without it.

I met the UPS driver at the door today!!! Opened up the box and BAMMMM, she's a bute!!!!! And for all those who have ordered a mosin, SOME ASSEMBLY REQ"D!!! Just kidding, only the bolt. I think the soldier who used mine must not have been so good, mine looked next to brand new, some blemishes but nothing to b***h about. Can't wait to get it cleaned up. I must now figure out how to disassemble it and completely clean it.....guess I'll look on the interweb for a booklet......let's go to Norris after I get some boolits...:tough:

I met the UPS driver at the door today!!! Opened up the box and BAMMMM, she's a bute!!!!! And for all those who have ordered a mosin, SOME ASSEMBLY REQ"D!!! Just kidding, only the bolt. I think the soldier who used mine must not have been so good, mine looked next to brand new, some blemishes but nothing to b***h about. Can't wait to get it cleaned up. I must now figure out how to disassemble it and completely clean it.....guess I'll look on the interweb for a booklet......let's go to Norris after I get some boolits...:tough:

Pictures, man, pictures! I've been waiting for this moment!

Maybe next weekend at Norris. ;)

I met the UPS driver at the door today!!! Opened up the box and BAMMMM, she's a bute!!!!! And for all those who have ordered a mosin, SOME ASSEMBLY REQ"D!!! Just kidding, only the bolt. I think the soldier who used mine must not have been so good, mine looked next to brand new, some blemishes but nothing to b***h about. Can't wait to get it cleaned up. I must now figure out how to disassemble it and completely clean it.....guess I'll look on the interweb for a booklet......let's go to Norris after I get some boolits...:D

Honestly, the gun is extremely straight forward as far as disassembly goes. I figured it out without any help. the only hard part was the barrel bands.

Honestly, the gun is extremely straight forward as far as disassembly goes. I figured it out without any help. the only hard part was the barrel bands.

well you were right, it is very simple to disassemble/assemble. have it cleaned for the most part, just a few more parts to polish off. then.....I will post pixs. Mine was dated 1933 and I have a link to all the keymarks for my research enjoyment. The other one I purchased for future son-in-law was dated 1928 - guess that means his is 5 yrs older than mine (hey mom, all that money you spent of math lessons did pay off!!!). Both are extremely nice rifles. The bolt did fall apart before my eyes, but my mechanical aptitude was good enough to get it back together after about 15 minutes or so. These are off the charts in the KEWL catagory....:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

i understand having the c&r license requires us to keep records of all c&r we purchase. if i sell one, do i have to keep those records as well? I had read i did but i want to make sure. also, are there any other req'mts for selling one of your c&r's? still new at this so i want to stay informed.

You should keep a "bound book" of all purchases and sales. ATF can audit at any time and you want your records accurate. The C&R is not a license to buy and sell. Not that you cannot sell one occasionally to upgrade your collection, but if you are audited and ATF finds a lot of sales, you may not have a license very long. When you renew your license they will ask how many you have bought and sold in the last year or so, at least they did with me, and I have never sold any.

You should keep a "bound book" of all purchases and sales. ATF can audit at any time and you want your records accurate. The C&R is not a license to buy and sell. Not that you cannot sell one occasionally to upgrade your collection, but if you are audited and ATF finds a lot of sales, you may not have a license very long. When you renew your license they will ask how many you have bought and sold in the last year or so, at least they did with me, and I have never sold any.

thanks -

Edited by ftncityfatboy