KAHR, GLOCK, OR TAURUS

Guest vantoo

Guest vantoo

Looking to get a new cc pistol and am considering the Kahr cw45, Glock 36, or Taurus 745. Any suggestions or input greatly appreciated...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kahr and Glock are both generally regarded as being higher quality than Taurus.

Both the CW45 and the G36 are great guns. If I was to be offered the choice of one out those three, I'd get the Kahr. They are really well made guns and I have yet to shoot a Kahr whose trigger I didn't love.

You should try to rent before you buy, if possible. Those three guns have some big differences between them. If you can't try before you buy, see what fits your hand the best, dry fire to see which trigger you prefer, see how it points, etc. Good luck.

Had a Kahr CW45 and traded it for a Glock 30. The Glock 36 is a little slimmer than the G30, but I don't know how much. As far as reliability and shootability, I would think the Glock would be as good as or better than the Kahr. My CW45 was flawless, but the trigger pull was longer than the Glock. As already stated, both are good guns. I don't know anything about the Taurus.

Guest 10mm4me

G36, end of debate, Taurus sucks, do you want a CCW that requires a "break-in" period? I don't. The Glock is the only choice out of these 3. Mags are cheaper, you can repair it yourself for next to nothing and get parts EVERYWHERE, lots of holster selections, proven reliability,aftermarket sight selection...and on and on and on.

I carry the PT145 (the full width version of the 745) daily and have never had a problem. Alot of people tend to unjustly knock Taurus. As a matter of fact I just sold my G32 because I didn't like to carry it and .357sig was too dang expensive.

Guest FiddleDog

the Kahr usually has a great finish, and fits my hand a little better...It's got a really long DAO trigger though. the G36 has an awesome trigger, but a slightly larger profile. The Taurus 745...hmm...I think that Taurus makes a reliable weapon, and it'll do what you want it to do, with a second strike feature on the da/sa...it shot great, pointed well, and has a really easy SA trigger for great follow up shots....all that being said, hearing all the nay sayers still undermined my confidence in carrying a Taurus in spite of the extended personal experience of reliability.

I vote Kahr. The long DAO is kind of like a built in safety feature.

I had a guy try to sell me a Kahr CC in 40 cailber. Nice gun but it jammed every single time I pulled the trigger. He said "You have to break it in with 400-500 rounds." Well I did the math and figured that I would save my money and bought a Glock 36. I Carry the Glock mostly but I do have a Taurus M85 that I also carry.

There are a lot of Taurus haters repling to your post. I'm not a Taurus hater. They make a wide variety of handguns. They have the best warrenty in the business. I trust my M85 with my life. If you do buy a Taurus, test it extensively before you carry it.

Edited by Will Carry
Guest vantoo

Thanks for the imput guys. I have the CW 9 in the Kahr and love it, just wanted something with a little more punch. Taurus does have a lifetime warrenty, but that warrenty is only as good as the people that back it. I had a horrible experiance with their cusomer service. I have a Glock 17 I really like too, but wanted something a bit slimmer. Was told the 36 is a single stack 45 but not sure how thick it is. I love the really thin profile of the KAHR cw9 I have and it didn't need a break in period. But I like to shoot 2 or 3 hundred rounds thru my SD pistol before carrying it anyway.

Guest cheez
G36, end of debate, Taurus sucks, do you want a CCW that requires a "break-in" period? I don't. The Glock is the only choice out of these 3. Mags are cheaper, you can repair it yourself for next to nothing and get parts EVERYWHERE, lots of holster selections, proven reliability,aftermarket sight selection...and on and on and on.

+1 What he said.

i like single stacks. Glocks are awesome, just thicker than i want to carry.

G 36 is single stack. It's the thinnest Glock. Definitely thinner than the G19 and G26 that alternate as my carry guns. Glock for all the reasons stated by 10mm4me.

the Kahr usually has a great finish, and fits my hand a little better...It's got a really long DAO trigger though. the G36 has an awesome trigger, but a slightly larger profile.

I vote Kahr. The long DAO is kind of like a built in safety feature.

The Kahr P series offer a more premium finish over the CW series, but both are great. My P9 never hiccuped once during the "break-in" period and is most natural pointing handgun I own (I know this is a personal preference).

As for the long DAO, I prefer it also, I never felt 100% comfortable with the XD or M&P with one in the pipe. Tell me I'm old school, untrained, stupid, whatever, but that is just the way it is.

Wow.. that's a hell of a choice. I have not had that model glock however every one I have had ran great. The Kahr and Taurus I have had and both are great reliable guns too.

My advice for what it's worth..

Hold and IF possible shoot each model. Buy the one that feels the most comfortable. Honestly I don't think any of these would be a bad decision.

As for break-in periods on Kahr. I have had 6 different models over the years and have never had to break them in. They were all flawless after the first magazine.

I bought a Kahr PM9 myself and I like it quite well so far.

Glocks have a proven record and a huge pile of crazed fanboys ... err ... following.

People like to crap on Taurus, and sometimes it's deserved. That said, so far I've only heard good things about the 745.