KAHR, GLOCK, OR TAURUS

Guest vantoo

Alot of people tend to unjustly knock Taurus.

+1000. my 24/7 compact has been flawless and the overall fit and finish is right on par with any other manufacturer. I would bet nearly every person before me that just knocked Taurus has never owned one.

Are there better guns out there, absolutely, Glocks more reliable? Probably so. Will I own another Taurus one day? DAMN straight! I really like the look and feel of the Kahr; especially the PM9. However I read just as many mixed reviews on them as you do about Taurus. Ask ohshoot about his PM9, he's a nice guy and I bet he would give you some feedback about Kahr.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest vantoo

Thanks for all the imput guys. I have read several stories on the Kahr 45 mag drop problems, but I have a CW9 and it has been flawless. The grip feels better to me and fits my hand better. The Taurus feels pretty good too, but I have personally had issues with customer service with them before. Rude and would not let me speak to a manager. I think the Kahr......

Thanks for all the imput guys. I have read several stories on the Kahr 45 mag drop problems, but I have a CW9 and it has been flawless. The grip feels better to me and fits my hand better. The Taurus feels pretty good too, but I have personally had issues with customer service with them before. Rude and would not let me speak to a manager. I think the Kahr......

The Kahr will need a new mag catch if it drops. Easy fix. If it's a newer production gun the new mag catch should already be installed.

My CW45 dropped the mags until I replaced the catch. No need to send it in. Just email their support department and they'll send you a new one.

The only issue I have with taurus is their turn around time. I had to send in a Tracker 44 last year and it took almost 3 months to get it back. To me that's not acceptable...

People who dog Taurus don't have a clue what they are talking about. They either owned one years ago, or they're just parroting what they read on this and other board. They are now just as reliable as any of the major manufacturers. They USED to have problems with warranty work and customer service, but not any more. They no longer have to send the guns back to Brazil. They only go to Miami now. I just had to have warranty work done on a PT709, and the entire process took only a few weeks.

I own a PT92 and a PT1911 and both are flawless. I carry the 1911 almost daily and would stake my life on it. My wife owns and carries the PT709, and now that it's fixed she feels the same about it. Heck, even Colt, Glock, and Springfield put out a lemon every now and then.

It's really getting old reading all of this garbage being spewed about Taurus when they have actually no idea what they are talking about. I personally don't care for Glock. I don't like the way they feel in my hand. Therefore I don't own one, haven't shot very many, and don't research them often. I don't dog them, though. That would only serve to put more bad information out there.

So, to the OP, all three of your options are good choices. If you need to save a few bucks, go for the Taurus. It will serve you just as well as the other two. You needn't worry about their customer service. My recent experience was nothing but pleasant. I would add the Springfield XD line to your options, though. They are a very nice gun.

I carry the PT145 (the full width version of the 745) daily and have never had a problem. Alot of people tend to unjustly knock Taurus. ...

+1.

While very reliable, the subcompact Glocks don't fit my hand at all. The grip is too short and the angle is wrong for me. I'm also not a fan of the safety. Kahr's seem expensive for no apparent reason. You might also look at the M&P, PPS, or XD.

I would pick the taurus.... I carried a PT140 for over a year and had over 1000 rounds down the pipe with not a single problem... no jams, stove pipes, or failure to loads it was a great gun. I carry the taurus 1911 now and have never had an issue out of it, it is one of the best shooters I have ever took to the range. I will be picking up a 845 soon and making that my daily carry. I have shot glocks and I really do not like the way they handle. Plus you can't argue with the price of a taurus. Glocks are over priced... pay for the name if you want.

I would agree that the Taurus is in general a reliable firearm for the average users wear and tear. A thousand rounds a year is probably on par with with the average carrier, shooter. For many non-carrying shooters it is even above average round count.

However in the grand scheme of hard use shooters that is count is extremely low. Those shooters fire a minimum of 1,000 rounds or more a month. The Taurus by my experience do not withstand that type of abuse well. I could point you to numerous people putting their HK's, Glocks and a couple of types through 50-100k count torture tests with excellent results.

I will disagree fervently on the cost of Glocks being overpriced. They are certainly priced in the mid range of combat handguns. They are on par with XD and M&P. Less than Sig, HK and nearly every higher end 1911. As far as gun price itself goes, they are much less for a quality handgun than a decent rifle and far less than a good shotgun. $500 would barely get you a working sporting clays over/under.

In the end you get what you pay for. If your demands are not very high, you can probably afford to require less. If your requirements demand a higher end gun, you're better off sending it up front. And some would certainly prefer even if their demands are not high to send more to what a higher end gun.

In the end the best choice is the one that fits your needs and fits your hands well. There is no perfect gun. I change almost all of my handguns in some way. For instance I loved most things about my Glocks except the grip. I had the grip reduced. For me I would rather do that than buy another gun that has other failures to my eye that had the right grip. I trust my Glocks, they have never once failed me in thousands and thousands of rounds. Same for my HK's. None of them has ever failed me. Same for my Sigs, not one failure, EVER. And my use guns get a lot of use. Less now than they used to, but a lot of use.

I can't say the same thing about numerous other pistols I have owned some very briefly. Bersas failed me over and over, Taurus failures after a couple thousand rounds. I won't go through them all, but suffice it to say I know what I trust.

To the OP's question, I cannot speak to the Kahr, I have some but not enough experience with them to make an informed personal opinion. I like most of what I hear about them.

Edited by Warbird
Guest bkelm18

I was in the market recently for a compact .45 to carry. I went through all the same basic choices as you. I settled on a G30SF. It is my current carry piece. I am not a Glock fanboy and I do not pleasure myself over everything Glock (like some do). I looked at it from an objective standpoint and understood the advantages the Glock 30 had over other firearms of similar size and caliber. Parts availability, ease of operation, ease of design, and reliability are all things you should consider. But in the end, YOU are defending your life with it and only YOU can make the choice.

But in the end, YOU are defending your life with it and only YOU can make the choice.

With all other things being equal I think this about says it all. It is what fits you best and works best for you. What works for me might and might not work for you.

I agree it's your life you are protecting. I trust my taurus to protect me and my wife's life if the situation ever arises. I understand that most people will never agree on guns.... I am not the biggest glock fan, yes they are great guns just not for me, unless it's the 10mm :hiding: for some reason I am infatuated with that weapon. I would rather spend my money on a taurus or and XD... or another assault rifle.... for my zombie plan!

However in the grand scheme of hard use shooters that is count is extremely low. Those shooters fire a minimum of 1,000 rounds or more a month. The Taurus by my experience do not withstand that type of abuse well. I could point you to numerous people putting their HK's, Glocks and a couple of types through 50-100k count torture tests with excellent results.

I'll agree on that point. Taurus guns were intended for the average shooter/carrier. If you are a competition shooter, you need to fork over the dough for a high-end handgun, and then even more money for a gunsmith to make it better. It's all in the materials that they are made out of, and while Taurus is plenty capable of reliably shooting 1000 rounds (or more) per year, they do not use the top grade materials that others do.

I'm not saying you are wrong because I honestly have not idea, but how do you know what materials Taurus uses? Do you work for them?

I don't work for them. I'm really not a Taurus butt-boy, either. My personal favorite manufacturer is Springfield. I just think Taurus gets a bad rap from folks who are just parroting others, and have never owned a Taurus handgun (at least not in the last 5 years). My comments on the materials used in Taurus guns comes from magazine articles and stuff that's posted on the web. I don't have 100% proof that they use lesser materials, but I have seen Taurus guns fail after the heavy usage that we were talking about in this thread. It would still be my choice.

....... My comments on the materials used in Taurus guns comes from magazine articles and stuff that's posted on the web. I don't have 100% proof that they use lesser materials, but I have seen Taurus guns fail after the heavy usage that we were talking about in this thread. It would still be my choice.

When I was doing my new gun search this past February I had narrowed my search down to the PT111 and the newer style 709 I had just about decided on the PT111 until the guy behind the counter said if I really like the Taurus I oughta look at the XD SUB Compact . As I compared the two the first thing was their profile was almost Identical width /length but when I took the gun apart that's where the differences really showed .A plastic Guide rod is in the Taurus not steel was the first thing I noticed a whole lot looser in the action as well .the trigger was not as crisp as the XD either So I decided to stew on it for a while I Did a lot of digging and research and found not one good review about the Taurus .I've had experiance with Taurus revolvers and have shot a friends model 145 several times and have always liked the guns but after reading complaints about how horrid their customer service was including the back log on repairs for the millenium series of pistols . and How I read absolutely everything great on the XD series . I decided to to Pony up the extra dough and buy the XD I decided on the 4" service model . once I stepped up in price I also considered the Glock but the backstrap safety and the 1911 grip angle won the decision . I've put over 700 rounds from 4 different manufactures through my XD since the last weekend in febuary and not one hiccup ever.

Vantoo given the choices the Glock or the Kahr would be the best. But from a prejudiced point of view I would urge you to consider the XD or better the XDm

I love my XD, but I love my Taurus pistols, too. And , for what it's worth, not one of them has a plastic guide rod. Never seen such, but it could be particular to that model. I had my XD40 and the wife's PT709 Slim field stripped at the same time last night, and other than the slim being much smaller (in size and caliber) there was no mechanical/material differences.