What's the best 1911 holster?

Guest walkingdeadman

If you want leather and don't want the wait for a Sparks, I suggest you check out 5 Shot Leather. John Ralston was mentored by Lou Alessi and makes outstanding leather. I had an order in with him but had to cancel due to the wait. His wait time is currently 20 weeks. That would be fine if I had a good holster in the mean time, but I don't. So, I ordered Tucker's The Answer for my 1911. Tucker has a 3 week wait time on these. However, my wife has a CompTac MTAC and I think it is one fine piece of gear. I just wanted mine leather lined as I prefer the look of leather wear over kydex wear.

You should check out 1911forum.com since it is exclusively about 1911's. There are more holster reviews, pictures and polls there than you will care to read. Off the top of my head, holster makers that people seem to be very happy with for 1911's:

Milt Sparks

Del Fatti

5 Shot Leather

Pure Kustom

Crossbreed Super Tuck

CompTac MTAC

Tucker Gunleather

Andrew's

I'm sure there are a few others I failed to recall but these are the ones I see most often and are fresh on my mind. Good Luck. If you order from any of these makers, I doubt you'll be disappointed in the quality.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best 1911 holster is the one that meets your needs best. Many good ones have already been mentioned. I have just ordered my first Supertuck to try one out.

Personally I prefer two basic types of holsters. For OWB I like a high ride holster which when made by top quality manufacturers and designers will tilt to hug against your body. They conceal well and several companies make good choices which can be acquired with little or no wait. Those include Mitch Rosen, Don Hume and Galco to name just a few.

The second type of holster I typically is the all leather IWB with a wide stance such as the Milt Sparks Versa Max. I also like a holster to have a metal reinforced mouth for easy reholstering. Sparks, TT Gunleather, Del Fatti a bunch make these and they are all quality, but all have quite a wait time in general.

There are a few options for getting a Sparks for a 1911 right handed more rapidly than through Sparks himself, but you pay more for it. Brownells and Lightning Sports both sell them and keep them in stock.

However I will also throw out another name to you which I have come to believe rivals my Sparks in quality and durability and can be acquired quickly. Tim Thurner owner of TT Gunleather has had a long standing relationship with Occidental Leather, which makes some of the finest tool belts in the world. Tim has entered into a partnership with them to make a couple of his holster designs. He trained several people at the facility to make them and they are fantastic. They do cost more than the TT, but you are paying for quick delivery, which for me is worth the cost. They are still less than a Sparks and shipping usually occurs in a week or less from order. They are called the Stronghold Holster by Occidental and I have a Phoenix IWB model.

well there can be a huge price difference between manufactures. Pure Kustoms are among the best out there. But like any good quality holster, the wait time and price can be long and pricy.

I ordered my Black Ops Pro for my DW Bobtail from Pure Kustoms. Had it in two weeks. That was just last month.

Edited by Cowtown
Just assuming you're kidding here.

Mexican carry is never a good idea...

There are too many variables to provide a simple answer. It's like asking what is the best caliber to carry. The answer is what you're comfortable with.

There are too many variables to provide a simple answer. It's like asking what is the best caliber to carry. The answer is what you're comfortable with.

Not really. The trigger should always be covered when the weapon is holstered to prevent a negligent discharge.

Mexican carry is a disaster waiting to happen and it's one of those things that gives the anti-gun nuts the fuel they need to push for more gun laws. Why do we want to help them?

Guest IzzyIsaac

me and two other buddies are rocking this one atm..it has got the job done for me and comfortable for two years now..ps..it's only $30 and doesn't take months to get

Guest AmericanWorkMule

I like Mernickle Holsters for open carry.

this custom Boy Scouts of America Rig rig is great for when you're going into town

I'm sure they'll fit the holster to whatever pistol you want

IMG_1823_V2.jpg

There's always C5 Leather the Montana XLT also. I find it to be a excellent holster. Jim is a true custom guy,,, he will make it YOUR way.

• 1 year later...

+1 for the crossbreed supertuck. Im a "LIL" dude at 5'11" and 130 lbs. fully dressed and loaded. I carry a RIA CS in a supertuck and have no problems, shirt IN or OUT. Its VERY comfy and like with any holster OR gun you may purchase its all about the practice, practice, practice.

IWB holsters don't work for me because I have gotten really fat over the last few years. I carry my XD in a Blackhawk SERPa that works for me. When I purchased my first 1911 I stumble across a tagua thumb break holster for about $25 and I love the way it sits really close compared to the Blackhawk. It is the most comfortable for me as an old fat guy.

JTM🔫

Sent from my iPhone