Restaurant Carry Bill

Guest oldfella

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the facebook anti's seem like a real bunch of winners. :) No point in even joining to post against them. You can't change their minds with logical argument, they are irational to begin with.

I thought about joining the group to post, but also didn't see the point. Those :D who already joined seem to have the anti's:wall: out-posted.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

I noticed on that facebook page that once people started posting logical arguments for the right to carry, the anti's ran out of things to say very quickly.

As far as the bill(s) are concerned - does anybody have any good updates?

Interesting note: there is a new fiscal note placed on 3125 (and its Senate counterpart) as amended that indicates there is no significant financial impact AT ALL...so why is the bill (still) before FWM? (other than the obvious answer that this committee represents the last, best hope the opposition in the House has to defeat it before going to the governor?) Still gripes me that the esteemed Mr. Williams is the single responsible party for the makeup and leadership appointments to ALL of the House committees...and that a number of his appointees have been so very instrumental and effective (due to their positions) in hampering the progress of this and other 2A legislation.

Another interesting facet here: HB2694 has already passed all committee votes, and is awaiting placement to the floor by CAlendar and rules. The Senate version is on the board for discussion in Sen Jud at 3pm today. If HB31125 gets delayed by HFWM again (or unacceptably amended there), be interesting to see if the Senate Jud will pass their version of HB2694 and send it to the floor...might then see 3125 dropped and the House and Sen mutually take up their respective versions of 2694 in floor votes very soon (possibly later this week or early next)?

Graoooaaannnn...Odom et al trying to amend it to death. First one (increase penalties) failed 17-14. Second one (lesser signage) fails 16-14. Thank goodness Casada keeps cutting them off. Now, Tindall wonders why we're here???? So now, he finds himself in a dilemna RE restaurants vs bars - newsflash, ace: YOUR FRIENDS CREATED IT!!!

As I understand it, they almost nuked the exact signage requirement, but it was narrowly tabled, so that it will still be required.

Now they're again trying to make some kind of difference between "restaurants" and "bars", using the 50% food thing, and REQUIRING those "bars" to post, leaving the definition up to the owners.

- OS

Guest pws_smokeyjones

Tindall - Amendment #7 - requires "bars" (businesses that serve alcohol but also get less than 50% of their revenue from food sales) to post their establishment with the legal 'no carry' signs. I actually don't really have much of a problem with that amendment but it does seem to put some unnecessary legislation on those businesses and takes away some of the liberties that the owner has.

OS - I believe you are correct RE the exact signage; however, it seems the Senate has an amendment on one of these bills (this or their version of 2694) that allows the circle/slash as a substitute for the exact language.

Tindall's amendment is gonna be difficult to defuse. But, it is poor legislation - it is a backdoor way to define bars, which is always fraught with errors.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

While I still tend to be somewhat comfortable with Tindalls amendment - the idea that we need can carry based on the percentage of food sold vs. percentage of alcohol sold for some concept of creating more/less safety is a little silly.