"Best" Nashville Area HCP/CCW class

First of all, sorry for using the word "Best". I realize that opinions about classes are strictly that - opinions, but I would be interested to hear about your impressions and experience with local CCW courses. I would love to hear recommendations of who gives good information and instruction, and also those to shy away from.

My situation is this. Both my wife and I would like to take a CCW course. She is not yet ready to start carrying, I would have a lot of problems consistently carrying given my line of work. Both of us are interested in being responsible shooters/gun owners (We both have a moderate experience with shooting. Capable, safe, and enjoy it) We are also both educated and intelligent, so a biggie is an intelligently run class. I don't want to waste my time on some guy rambling on, ranting etc. Concise, quality information, thorough and open to questions is key.

Any help here? We live in Nashville but would consider traveling.

Thanks

Gray

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No question at all. Guns and Leather in Greenbriar. GREAT place. Its about 15-20 minutes from downtown nashville. I could go on but id risk sounding like a commerciall for them haha.

They also have the best price too.

Guest HvyMtl

What Volzfan said. Guns and Leather is the place to go - priced less than most. Mr. Crabtree is a good teacher. Even rent you guns to shoot. Inside gun range is excellent.

FYI: I used the pistol I am carrying. Suggest you do same. Get practice in first.

I sure wish I had known about this forum and the vendors here when I took mine. I took mine at that place that spends as much time pushing their HCP badges as they do teaching.

My wife took hers at G&L and said it was good. She is knowledgeable enough to know the really dumb questions she heard in the class, and to recognize the good answers given there.

Guest HvyMtl

I was charged $60 at Guns and Leather for the class, as I brought my own box (50) of ammo.

They also do the fingerprinting for the permit. (I think this is still a requirement.) No Charge.

FYI: They have a variety of pistols which can be rented to be used in the shooting part of the class. Tennessee allows 22 caliber to be used for the class.

(615) 643-4865 - call them and check the prices. Typically done on a Saturday.

Guest jimbobtn

I took mine at Academy of Self Protection in Joelton two years ago with my brother. Rob keeps the class interesting and doesn't talk down to beginning shooters. It was $100 which included a box of ammo for whatever you were shooting. This is not the same place as Academy of Protection with that Buford guy, in case there is any confusion.

Guest s10manual
I took mine at Academy of Self Protection in Joelton two years ago with my brother. Rob keeps the class interesting and doesn't talk down to beginning shooters. It was $100 which included a box of ammo for whatever you were shooting. This is not the same place as Academy of Protection with that Buford guy, in case there is any confusion.

Agreed. I'm not sure which guy was running my class back in February. I enjoyed it though! (What you think you're gonna do with THAT old man?)

Not only do they provide the ammo, they also provide the gun if you don't have one.

+ 1 took mine there about a year and a half ago. Great Class

Agreed. I'm not sure which guy was running my class back in February. I enjoyed it though! (What you think you're gonna do with THAT old man?)

Not only do they provide the ammo, they also provide the gun if you don't have one.

+ 1 took mine there about a year and a half ago. Great Class

Took mine there as well about 2 yrs ago. class was excellent and we didn't waste a lot of time with nonsense.