Vet discount at Home Depot

Guest colrmccoll

Guest colrmccoll

I bought some stuff at the HD today and on checking out the cashier asked if I was a vet. He told me that HD offers a 10% discount to vets all day, every day.

Ask, if they don't tell you.

I think my hair cut gave me away.

Rick

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Glock23ForMe
At first I thought that you meant veterinarian. I was like, wtf?

Same here.. I was like, that's pretty random.. A veterinarian getting a discount at HD?

Guest Sgt. Joe

Well my hair sure wouldnt give me away anymore:D

But Lowes has always at least since 05 when I first learned of it gave Veterans a 10% discount. But I seldom remember to tell them:rolleyes:

The indoor range in Jackson also gives 25% off of a membership:)

Guest redbarron06

Sombody is telling a fib. Not saying it is you but sombody is. The HD in Rivergate only gives a vet discount on certain days. So either they are lying about the company policy or sombody at some of the other stores are.

I started to avoid HD a few years back though when I was managing a armored car company and went into the store in Hermitage and they told me that nobody but police were allowed to bring guns in the store. I explained what I did and told them that I was there to buy buisness items and rent tools for the office and that the store was not posted IAW state law (not that it would have mattered because a armed guard permit is not a HCP). They told me again that unless I was police, I could not have a gun in the store. I went across the street to Lowes and asked them and they told me to bring my gun and my money and let them know if I needed any help loading my stuff up.

Now when I have no choice but have to go into HD I always ask and they always tell me the same thing, only on certain holidays. I make it a point to tell them that Lowes does it every day and that if they had this item I would be there instead of here.

Lowes also sent over 5K worth of tools and items to the TN national guard while we were in Afganistan. So that gets my soft spot too.

BTW Chick-fil-a in Smyrna give 50% to mil and dependants all day every day (except sunday) in uniform or not.

• Moderators

Though it has been 3 years since I worked there (4 stores in 3 states) and policy might have changed (doubt it) What RB06 said is correct. .mil and vets only got a discount on the weekends surrounding the "patriotic" holidays such as the July 4th, Veterans Day and Memorial day. Discounts are something HD is very tight fisted about considering the employees don't even get a discount.

Guest Linoge

I cannot speak to Home Depot corporate policy or all Home Depot stores, but after buying our house and now continuing to remodel it, Better Half and I have been doing... well, a LOT of purchasing at both Home Depot and Lowes over the past few months. In both cases, I was aware of their veteran/active duty discount, and in both cases, I simply ask at the cashier, they ask for my ID card, I show it to them, and they take 10% off the bill - and this is for all of the HDs and Lowes we have visited in the Knoxville metropolitan area (which is pretty damned near all of them at this point). In all cases, I make it very clear that I am asking about a veteran's discount, as opposed to a military discount, and I have not been refused yet.

For the first few times, the cashiers had to go fetch managers or whatnot to confirm the discount, but, recently, the process went exactly as I described above.

And in 90% of those visits, I am openly carrying, and neither employees nor customers have ever said a single thing about it.

Again, I have no idea what corporate policy is for either entity, nor do I know if it is left to the individual stores, but I have never encountered a problem with it myself, and with the exception of certain hand tools (gotta love Craftsman's warranty), that discount has resulted in us doing the majority of our lawn/garden/renovation/tool/etc. shopping at HD and Lowes (though mostly the former - their customer service in the Knox region is significantly better).

(There, maybe now that "Please post something!" notice will go away.)