Primary Carry and Backup Carry

Harold

Been thinking about the whole backup/primary gun concept. Actually thinking about carrying two Glock 26’s. Been carrying a Glock 26 on strong side owb covered and then .380 Taurus in my left front pocket.

Why two guns? Because of my food blister (gut) I can’t reach my strong side gun with my weak hand. So if I get shot in my strong side arm and need to draw my strong side gun with weak hand I can't. So have to plan for that two guns one on each side.

I am thinking if muscle memory and repetition are some the keys. The same gun for both side makes most sense both operate the same way. Shoot the same way. Same trigger pull and reset. Same sights. Thinking keeps it simple.

This also means one extra mag to carry fits both. That gives me 33 rounds of ammo between two guns and one extra mag if I am shooting that much I am in a world of hurt..

Thoughts what am I missing here?

Edited by Harold
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronker
Been thinking about the whole backup/primary gun concept. Actually thinking about carrying two Glock 26’s. Been carrying a Glock 26 on strong side owb covered and then .380 Taurus in my left front pocket.

Why two guns? Because of my food blister (gut) I can’t reach my strong side gun with my weak hand. So if I get shot in my strong side arm and need to draw my strong side gun with weak hand I can't. So have to plan for that two guns one on each side.

I am thinking if muscle memory and repetition are some the keys. The same gun for both side makes most sense both operate the same way. Shoot the same way. Same trigger pull and reset. Same sights. Thinking keeps it simple.

This also means one extra mag to carry fits both. That gives me 33 rounds of ammo between two guns and one extra mag if I am shooting that much I am in a world of hurt..

Thoughts what am I missing here?

Would you still go OWB on both? Giddy-up cowboy!

All joking aside, how good are you right now with shooting with your off-hand?

All joking aside, how good are you right now with shooting with your off-hand?

In practice can put all shots on silhouette in about 6 to 8 inch grouping off-hand. So figure in real world under stress etc. Hopefully can keep them at least on silhouette assuming I am half as good as I practice under stress.

Edited by Harold
Guest Ae-35

Can you not reach your 26 with your off hand going around your back? That's the way I do it? Try it, seems to work , bypassing my gut in the front.

Guest Jamie

You youngsters just wait... some day you too will have a "girth of experience". :D

Oh and Harold, whatever works for you is fine... provided it really does work for you.

J.

Guest 270win

I carry one five shot snub into the ghetto of Memphis and feel like it works just well and is enough. I do keep a speed strip or speed loader in my car with five more rounds. If possible...i'm going to be getting out of the situation before it comes to using that snubbie..either by foot or car..the snubbie is a last ditch thing and last resort. I like how it hides and no one knows when I carry it everywhere i go...whether it be work or to a conference or church. I can't imagine trying to hide two Glock pistols on me everywhere I go. That sounds kind of uncomfortable and hard to carry all day 7 days a week. Whatever works.

im not gonna go on the whole exercise thing as thats been covered, but to me I just dont see carrying two guns as a good idea. id rather relocate the gun that is accessible to both arms

Why is carrying a BUG not a good idea? I personally can't think of any reason not to carry one.

Why is carrying a BUG not a good idea? I personally can't think of any reason not to carry one.

+1

Many people like to carry a reload along with their firearm. I like to carry a reload, too - I just often prefer that mine be wrapped in another gun.

comfort

concealability

just two reasons

Primary in a belt holster and a small BUG (mostly as a get off me gun, to be honest) in my weak side pocket. For me, there are no additional concealability issues and it is no more uncomfortable than having a cellphone, etc. in my other pocket - but everyone is different.

Edited by JAB
Guest Jamie
comfort

concealability

just two reasons

If you think carrying 2 guns is uncomfortable, imagine what this must be like:

ConcealedCarry-page1.jpg

ConcealedCarry-page2.jpg

ConcealedCarry-page3.jpg

Just a couple more guns and they could double as body armor.

J.

If you think carrying 2 guns is uncomfortable, imagine what this must be like:

Just a couple more guns and they could double as body armor.

Adequately armed, to be sure.

Looks like his belt is tightened enough to squeeze his colon back against his spine, to keep britches up.

- OS

Guest Jamie

Yeah, I'm thinking he could'a used some suspenders to help support that load.

Can you imagine what it must've sounded like when he walked or moved? ;)

J.

• 1 year later...

Not gonna lie... Im not sure if this fits in here cause ive been awake for 48 hours now... but here

demotivational-posters-redundancy.jpg

But yeah... carry two if it is comfortable and works for you. If it can help save your life... do it!

I would rather carry a second gun than an extra magazine, but that's just me. I think they call it a New York reload. My theory is why grab an extra mag and have to reload when you can just grab an extra gun.

Guest Larry

Normal carry here is my G32, Sunday and social things to look my best is my 1911, always a spare mag for each. BUG is Colt Mustang Pocketlite.

Guest spoolie

Really? You feel the need for 2 weapons? "If I get shot....blah blah", you will get struck by lightning before a bullet. Threads like this are laughable. Don't leave the house without body armor.

Really? You feel the need for 2 weapons? "If I get shot....blah blah", you will get struck by lightning before a bullet. Threads like this are laughable. Don't leave the house without body armor.

+1

I was going to leave this thread alone; but I couldn’t. :)

But then I run with scissors and don’t carry a gun when at home.