Selling a Handgun Question

Guest dboonekilledabearhere

Guest dboonekilledabearhere

I am selling a handgun registered in my name. What is the protocol for getting the gun un-registered in my name?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tennessee has no gun registration.

^^^what he said. The only tracking in TN is when you buy from a licensed dealer. The forms you fill out must be kept on file. Otherwise there is no way to track a gun once it hits the consumer's hands in TN.. Unless the seller requires a firearms transaction form to be filled out buy the buyer, but that is only for the sellers records and isn't required.

How's life up there in Sycamore Shoals?!

In Tennessee, the only requirement for a private individual selling a handgun is that you not knowingly sell to anyone who cannot legally buy a handgun (felon, child, drug abuser, mentally incompetent, etc).

What he said above!

While not required (and I'll admit, I don't always do it myself), I think it's a very good idea to have at least some paperwork showing who you transferred (sold, traded, gifted) a firearm to.

Firearms tend to be around a VERY long time; longer than most of us will live and once that gun is out of your control you have no idea what happens to it...the person who bought it from you or someone he transferred it to or someone HE transferred to may commit a crime with it or it may get stolen and used in a crime, etc, etc....it's just logical to be able to document how you disposed of a firearm and especially so if you were there original purchaser from a dealer.

Just my $0.02!

Ditto. I've sold a few of my firearms lately and usually tell them up front that I'd like a Bill of Sale or transfer form of a sort for my records. I've not had anyone object to this so far. It just seems wise to have documentation on your personal property to me. And when I've bought from an individual lately, almost every one has wanted to do the same.

Edited by hipower
spelling
Guest clsutton21

Jesus. Can we just make a form that everyone has to sign when they join that says there is no firearm registration in TN? Then give a test every other week before you are allowed to post?

I'd make them give you their social security number, do a full background check, drug screen, and to make sure they're not impaired, do a field sobriety test. Or you could do what is required under law - nothing. I just ask to see a TN driver's license to prove residency. It's the buyer's responsibility to make sure they're not prohibited from owning a firearm.

Jesus. Can we just make a form that everyone has to sign when they join that says there is no firearm registration in TN? Then give a test every other week before you are allowed to post?

Is there some problem with people asking a question they don't know the answer to???

I realize that for those who have lived in Tennessee all their lives and owned and sold guns privately many times knows all the answers about what Tennessee requires and doesn't require but not everyone is in that situation...some people are buying and/or selling a firearm for the first time in their lives and others have moved here from states with near communist rules.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the intent of your post but if I might suggest...if you think a questions is stupid and/or don't want to answer; why not just pass on by.

Guest clsutton21
Is there some problem with people asking a question they don't know the answer to???

I realize that for those who have lived in Tennessee all their lives and owned and sold guns privately many times knows all the answers about what Tennessee requires and doesn't require but not everyone is in that situation...some people are buying and/or selling a firearm for the first time in their lives and others have moved here from states with near communist rules.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the intent of your post but if I might suggest...if you think a questions is stupid and/or don't want to answer; why not just pass on by.

You're right. I shouldn't have said anything. I should have made something constructive out of this. Maybe we can sticky a "FAQ" post with all these kinds of questions in it.

I'd make them give you their social security number, do a full background check, drug screen, and to make sure they're not impaired, do a field sobriety test. Or you could do what is required under law - nothing. I just ask to see a TN driver's license to prove residency. It's the buyer's responsibility to make sure they're not prohibited from owning a firearm.

Is there some harm in knowing (and having some documentation to show) who you transferred a firearm to?

I mean, if it's not important to you so be it but I see it as simply a reasonable thing to do.

Is there some harm in knowing (and having some documentation to show) who you transferred a firearm to?

I mean, if it's not important to you so be it but I see it as simply a reasonable thing to do.

Each to their own. I personally don't care either way. I don't require anything but a valid ID or HCP but if anyone wants a signed transfer form i'm happy to do it. I have nothing to hide nor am I afraid of the man..

WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM??? You act like you run TGO. The OP had a genuine question, not everyone has endless knowledge like you do.