Lefty holster for Righty 6 oclock carry?

I'm new to carrying and I'm looking at an MTAC for my XD subcompact. I'm right handed. ISTM that 6 o'clock is the most concealed spot because of the hollow area created by the small of my back/butt crack. If that's the case, wouldn't a left-handed holster work better by pointing the grip towards the right side for easier grabnbing by my right hand?

I can see how with a lefty holster I would have the muzzle pointed inwards towards me while drawing it around with my right hand and that's a big negative. But the motion of twisting my right arm around at the shoulder to garb grips that are poinetd towards my left side feels awkward. Though it keeps the muzzle pointed away from my right side as I draw it around.

What are your thoughts on this? Is 6 o'clock too far back? Does that position allow too much movement, especially while sitting down?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, let me be the first to jump in here, that should you fall on your butt, you WILL completely shatter every vertebra from tip of your coccyx to L1 and push your kidneys out onto the ground through your navel! ;)

But seriously, a lot of SOB carriers do the "left for right" thing.

Just depends on how your elbow and wrist hinge and whether you have arthritis or anything.

My man David Bullard recommends that with one of his holsters, the Texas Conceal Carry. Here's for a righthander:

IMG_6064.JPG

holsters%20001.JPG

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest Broomhead

That all just seems backwards to me. I carry SOB the majority of the time and I have to have the butt pointed to the left. For me it is easier to slide my thumb between my back and the gun than it is to slide the rest of my hand in there. That's just they way I am.

That all just seems backwards to me. I carry SOB the majority of the time and I have to have the butt pointed to the left. For me it is easier to slide my thumb between my back and the gun than it is to slide the rest of my hand in there. That's just they way I am.

Probably because you're 29, bro. ;)

I don't carry that way, but have experimented a lot, and my geezer joints bend much better the other way, as in the pics.

- OS

Guest Broomhead
Probably because you're 29, bro. ;)

I don't carry that way, but have experimented a lot, and my geezer joints bend much better the other way, as in the pics.

- OS

I am 29 that is true. However, I have had arthritis for many years, as well as a failed back surgery that has left me with nerve damage. Right now I have my TENS unit turned way up trying to quell the pain a little bit. Age is just a number my friend.

I have experimented with carrying the other way, but for my body, and the way it moves, the way I carry is the most comfortable for me.

Edited by Broomhead
Grammar.

I also like that method for carry, except I dont usually carry right aAT 6...more to the right a little, maybe 5 or even f...but it feels much more natural for my wrist that having the handle the opposite way.

I'm new to carrying and I'm looking at an MTAC for my XD subcompact. I'm right handed. ISTM that 6 o'clock is the most concealed spot because of the hollow area created by the small of my back/butt crack. If that's the case, wouldn't a left-handed holster work better by pointing the grip towards the right side for easier grabnbing by my right hand?

I can see how with a lefty holster I would have the muzzle pointed inwards towards me while drawing it around with my right hand and that's a big negative. But the motion of twisting my right arm around at the shoulder to garb grips that are poinetd towards my left side feels awkward. Though it keeps the muzzle pointed away from my right side as I draw it around.

What are your thoughts on this? Is 6 o'clock too far back? Does that position allow too much movement, especially while sitting down?

I am 29 that is true. However, I have had arthritis for many years, as well as a failed back surgery that has left me with nerve damage. Right now I have my TENS unit turned way up trying to quell the pain a little bit. Age is just a number my friend...

Yow, sorry to hear that.

I had back surgery in my youth also (laminectomy/discectomy), back when it was a bigger whoop than now, but it served me pretty well till the predictable real McCoy arthritis settled in there in last few years.

You have my sincere empathy.

- OS

Guest Broomhead
No way that's comfortable! How do you sit down?

Even with the pain in my back and legs, carrying IWB, SOB, is much more comfortable than you'd think. There is a natural hollow created by the spine and coccyx that lets the gun kind of disappear. Different chairs also create different pressure points on the gun and your back. Some chairs, like recliners, overstuffed chairs and car seats, are much more forgiving than others, like straight-backed, "ergonomical", and even metal folding chairs. However, the bigger the gun the bigger the bulge. My CZ82 is much more comfortable than my HiPoint. I'm sure that a Kel-Tec, as well as other pocket guns, would all but disappear.

OhShoot, Thank you for your empathy/sympathy. I had a Laminectomy and Discectomy with Fusion at S1-L5, I now have nerve damage from the formation of scar tissue at that same site. I just started going to PT, yet again, to try and resolve some of the issues I have been having. I had a Spinal Cord Stimulator implanted, similar to an implanted TENS unit, last year that helps with my leg pain. So far I have found nothing that helps with the back pain. I get along as best as I can, there are a few days that are better than others.

Edited by Broomhead

On SOB carry, I found it fairly comfy for standing and walking with something even as large as XD service, was real nice with a Ruger SP101 wheelie, but most sitting positions/chairs didn't work for me over time. Seems like that nice hollow in my back disappears upon sitting.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
off topic part taken to PM