Obama Blasts Arizona Immigration Bill

Guest FroggyOne2

I would need some proof of a broad statement like that. It sure doesn't hold true in Tennessee, and more so here in Sumner and Macon Counties. Farmers here use the Mex labor and they are mostly staunch Democrats per what I have seen of their candidates and current county representation. Why would they vote republican for Federal and Democrat for local?

I live in Lafayette and I agree that we do treat our visitors very well. The remarks were about Arizona, where the law is in effect. I have lived there and I have observed exactly what I stated (about treatment and politics.) I didn't qualify locality because the post was stated to be about Arizona. I have also observed the same cycles in California while stationed there.

In Macon County almost everybody, for the most part, are Republicans, including most of my tobacco farming friends.

Being mostly Conservative, I vote Republican locally (including state) and split ticket nationally and I am not a rarity.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Lafayette and I agree that we do treat our visitors very well. The remarks were about Arizona, where the law is in effect. I have lived there and I have observed exactly what I stated (about treatment and politics.) I didn't qualify locality because the post was stated to be about Arizona. I have also observed the same cycles in California while stationed there.

In Macon County almost everybody, for the most part, are Republicans, including most of my tobacco farming friends.

Being mostly Conservative, I vote Republican locally (including state) and split ticket nationally and I am not a rarity.

I'll have to accept your statement based on your observations but that's not how it appears to me as I pass through your area.

As to treating your visitors well, well there you go. You make it easy and profitable to have them stay, they will stay. Take away the magnet, no work if not legal to do so, what's to keep them? We don't have to deport any of them. Just make it so they no longer want to stay. That's fair and equitable as well as being compassionate. Let them come legally and it's a different story.

I have lived and worked in Mexico, and can promise you this much, you take about 10 steps down there without papers, and you will be visiting rats and cockroaches, in a Mexican jail.

Stage yourself a protest against the Mexican Government, or any State thereof, and Geraldo will not be doing an interview with you, nor will you have a chance to see your native country again.

I stood in the center of a Coca-Cola Distribution Project in Monterey speaking with a prospective sub-contractor for another job we were bidding, watching concrete blocks being made by hand, and caissons being excavated by hand and five gallon buckets (2008), I asked the PM for the firm why they did not purchase heavy equipment, and he pointed to the people lined up around the fence surrounding the property, and explained that his cost per day was less than $2.00 per laborer vs. the millions a yellow piece of CAT equipment would cost.

A discarded Wal-Mart bag is luggage, never have to worry about job-Site clean up, the poor souls down there take every scrap of what we would consider garbage home and use it.

Immigrants there are treated far worse there than they are here.

Guest 6.8 AR
The police and courts will not go more head-to-head with the latino mob because of this legislation. They could get hurt that way. They'll go after migrant workers two days before payday, based on call from Anglo employer, just as they already do.

Maybe they should go after the mob, if they aren't already.

The flood of Mexican illegal immigration is based on several problems:

Living in Mexico sucks if you are an indian Mexican. If I were born as an indian in Mexico, instead of the German-American I am, I would be a strong swimmer and learning English!

Am I supposed to worry about their living conditions,

in Mexico? They should revolt against their own gov.

They are hired here by Anglo farmers and industries (mostly staunch Republicans btw) for profit motive (low labor costs = higher profits, duh!)

Prove the political affiliation, that's a broad brush.

Law enforcement does not grab the workers at the beginning of the planting season, or just before harvest. they grab them after the harvest is in and usually two days before the workers' payday. Gee, this just has to be coincidence!

Isn't this about drug trafficking and people trafficking, too? Illegals are illegals, anyway.

The Arizona Law is not going to change any of the root problems, and it is going to be very expensive to enforce. The criminal element is still going to grease palms and keep its turf. The farmers and small plants are still going to be allowed to recruit and hire illegals (the owners and farmers are big contributors of campaign funds.)

If that is the case, change the campaign laws, and, in the meanwhile, go after all the illegals.

Most of the workers that took American jobs are still in Mexico, working at American plants that moved there after the big tax breaks given them by previous administrations, both Dem and GOP. Is the Governor of Arizona sending her cops down to Mexico to arrest those folks?

Get rid of the corporate tax rate and you won't have that problem, either. There will be more jobs because more companies will come back home.

This was strictly a political move to embarass the federal government. In the end it will just embarass the Arizona state government when the massive civil rights stuff hits the fan.

I doubt it will embarrass Arizona. They are trying to do something. Federal immigration laws need to be enforced, also.

The problem is social-economic-political and too big and complex to be solved just by law enforcement.

But their job is on the front line and they need to be able to do their job.:)

Edited by 6.8 AR
As to treating your visitors well, well there you go. You make it easy and profitable to have them stay, they will stay. Take away the magnet, no work if not legal to do so, what's to keep them? We don't have to deport any of them. Just make it so they no longer want to stay. That's fair and equitable as well as being compassionate. Let them come legally and it's a different story.

+1

• 2 months later...
Guest Boogieman
It won't be the illegals, it will be second and third generation legal Mexican-americans who are profiled and hassled by the LEAs. They don't look any different and they are going to get some massive hassling. Just the nature of the beast.

They should be illegal too. Just cause mom and pop rode across OUR border on a burro and ma squatted down in one of OUR hospital ERs to squeeze your sorry butt out shouldnt make you "legal". The 14th has got to be amended or this country is headed straight to hell in a flaming handbasket. The problem should have been taken care of long ago but the FED hasnt grown the balls to do so and apparently the pair on the O administration havent dropped yet either.. Rock on AZ, run the filthy leeches back across the border and keep them there.

I think the fedgov loses no matter what.

If they win in court, the public outcry will be deafening and they will have to act in some manner. It will make illegal immigration the number one concern of many / most Americans.

If they lose, tons of states will enact similar laws and do what they are unwilling to do.