My First Glock

Guest Bronker

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronker
Don't know if I'll be able to make it to this years meat and shoot. When another guy's wife sets me down to give me the business, well I can just stay home for that and wear my comfortable shorts while taking it.:screwy:

It'll go down like this...

:ugh:You.

:bat:My wife

:D:):clap:Me, the kids, YOUR kids...

:popcorn:Your wife "Go girl!"

I have the KCI mags for my Glock (19) and they have worked flawlessly for me.

Same experience here. I use KCI mags as range mags and they've always worked well for me in both my G19 and G26. Probably the best aftermarket mags I've ever owned for any gun. Just as a personal rule, I wouldn't carry any aftermarket mag for self-defense use.

Guest Bronker
...Just as a personal rule, I wouldn't carry any aftermarket mag for self-defense use.

Great advice there. I've heard that echoed quite often in my research of this (and other weapons).

I'd recommend buying a new Drop-Free mag before adding a grip enhancer. The newer mags hang just a little lower in my second gen G19. In fact I have to squeeeze them into a 3rd gen. Or maybe try the 17 rounders with a grip plug on them. A Hogue slip on finger groove grip may also help. The only accessories I have are lots of mags, a few holsters and some night sights. Congrats on your G19!

Guest Bronker

I bought a Glock 17 mag today with a A&G Grip extender.

Not impressed.

The extender doesn't fit very flush with the base of the magwell, and even with the allen screw torqued down real tight, there's still alot of play. I don't like it.

The bare G17 mag is actually more comfortable.

Going to try to find some more G19 mags, and try some of those Pearce PG-19 grip enhancers, as the half-moon grip cut-out is still an uncomfortable issue.

Want some decal grips too. The gun came with a Handall, and the finger grooves are too close together. Love this grip on my CZ Phantom and a Kahr CW45. But, not this Glock.

Still love this gun, though.

I was cruising around the Robar website earlier looking at the very cool (and expensive) options they offer for Glocks. One is to fill in that cutout for removing a stuck magazine that seems to be annoying you. So I started looking around Brownells and found an article by Eric Kiesler in the Guntech/ handgun work/ glock grip reduction and customization. It looks like you could fill in the gap yourself. I would've posted a link but couldn't get it to work on my phone. I'm thinking about attempting my own RTF but will need to research this alot more.

Know you just picked up that 19, but sounds like you might want to pick up a G17 sometime if you haven't recently, might feel better to you; I've encountered all the things you've mentioned about the grip not feeling quite right, G19's just don't work for me regardless of generation, however, the G17/34 frames fit great (26's work for me too, obviously with just a couple fingers though, the finger grooves are closer together on the 19's then either and I've since found that I'm not the only one, the 19's just don't work for some hands). Plus, if you decide you enjoy shooting IDPA (which you will), sooner or later you're going to pinch the s**t out of the meat of your hand during a reload (many 19/23 owners will tell you)...

Oh yeah, a mountain bike tire on the grip works awesome and is worth a try, but I'd skip the decal grip and just support a local skateboard store, a sheet of Jessup brand grip-tape will make 10 Glock grips anyway you want them, costs $5, and is thinner and better quality grip-tape than those decal packs.

Edited by CK1

Bronker, dunno if it's available or not, but I have Pearce grip extensions (not the +1 models, just the grip extensions) on my G27 mags as I have huge hands (like you) - zero issues and much better grip...

Guest Bronker
Bronker, dunno if it's available or not, but I have Pearce grip extensions (not the +1 models, just the grip extensions) on my G27 mags as I have huge hands (like you) - zero issues and much better grip...

Wish I'd known that, like...3 hours ago!:D

Guest Bronker
hey bronker go to walmat buy a bike inner tube 26inch and do this! I ****ING LOVE IT on my g19

glock004Medium.jpg

Sweet.

Did you use a pattern of some sort or just trial and error?

Sweet.

Did you use a pattern of some sort or just trial and error?

You don't need a pattern. Just throw it in an inner tube and go. I did find it somewhat difficult to get it through the valve stem, though.

tubeb.jpg

Guest Bronker
You don't need a pattern. Just throw it in an inner tube and go. I did find it somewhat difficult to get it through the valve stem, though.

tubeb.jpg

Why did you post a big, black "Q"?

Made you look! Going after an intertube today. All of this talk about this G19, and I've only fired 30 rounds through it! That's going to change this weekend!

By the way, Jon...one of those KCI mags doesn't drop free. It has just enough drag to stay in, and requires a gentle tug. I don't know if you intended that or not, but I'm glad for it. Hear me out: I'm going to put it into rotation with all of my other mags, and use its unique quality as a training prop when I'm practicing malfunction drills, etc.

Win / Win! Thanks again!

...one of those KCI mags doesn't drop free. It has just enough drag to stay in, and requires a gentle tug. I don't know if you intended that or not, but I'm glad for it.

It was not intentional. Of the ones I have in my range bag, they all drop free. Maybe it'll "break in" and start dropping free one day? Maybe not. Either way, glad you'll be able to make use of it as a training tool. IIRC, I think I remember someone saying that the magwell in a hair or two tighter in the Gen 2 models, so that may have something to do with it.

So far, about the only issue I've seen with the KCI mags is that they're a little rough around the edges (literally). Nothing a little fine grit sandpaper and a few seconds doesn't resolve. Still one of the best deals in an aftermarket mag out there. "Aftermarket" is an old Latin word meaning "do not rely upon in self defense situations". :screwy:

Guest Bronker
It was not intentional. Of the ones I have in my range bag, they all drop free. Maybe it'll "break in" and start dropping free one day? Maybe not. Either way, glad you'll be able to make use of it as a training tool. IIRC, I think I remember someone saying that the magwell in a hair or two tighter in the Gen 2 models, so that may have something to do with it.

So far, about the only issue I've seen with the KCI mags is that they're a little rough around the edges (literally). Nothing a little fine grit sandpaper and a few seconds doesn't resolve. Still one of the best deals in an aftermarket mag out there. "Aftermarket" is an old Latin word meaning "do not rely upon in self defense situations". ;)

I'm beginning to believe that the 'rough edges' you mentioned are the issue, because I did notice that on them. Even the Glock brand mags could use a little fine grit treatment.

Regardless, the gesture meant so much to me no matter what condition they are in! You won't find me looking gift horses in the mouth! Plus, I honestly do think it will be a great training tool. I'm not going to add any distinguishing marks to the 'hanger' anyway because it will be a great teaching tool with malf. drills.

I have bought a few Glock brand mags to use as carry mags.

Thanks again, Jon.:)

Guest Bronker

Today I picked up an el-cheapo Fobus paddle holster and finally one of those Pearce PG-19 Grip enhancers.

PG19_1.jpg

I may have solved my grip problem! Fits like a glove now. Plus, I put on a bike innertube grip strip. Not bad for a ghetto engineering jobber.

I do want to try one more mag plate enhancer like this:

791458.jpg

Either way, it fills in the strange and uncomfortable half-moon cut-out on the front of the Gen 2 grip.

Now just have to shoot the dang thing!

Guest Bronker
Bronk, you were quiet for a while today. Did you go get some trigger time in??

(...sips:koolaid:...)

Actually, yes...75 quick rounds right before dark.

Bought some accessories today. Paddle holster, magazine grip enhancer.

My 4 mags from PackinMama came in this morning.

Been a good day.

Never been much of a Glock Fan-Boy, but it's definitely growing on me.

Guest Jcochran88
(...sips:koolaid:...)

Actually, yes...75 quick rounds right before dark.

Bought some accessories today. Paddle holster, magazine grip enhancer.

My 4 mags from PackinMama came in this morning.

Been a good day.

Never been much of a Glock Fan-Boy, but it's definitely growing on me.

Umm, Why didn't I get invited to shoot?:D