Best Camping/Survival/Utility tool or weapon?

I originall y was dead set on getting a Cold Steel Laguna Tactical Tomahawk for a multipurpose survival/utility/weapon, but after some reading I've decide to get a Cold Steel Kukri instead. Seem like it would be perfect for just about anything I could need. Especially after all the flood stuff it would have been much more useful than a battle ax. It has all the benefits of a machete mixed with a sword and a large knife. I also looked at the Ka-Bar Kukri but decided the additional cost was for the name. BTW - I got the 13" for $17 from Amazon.

What tool would you guys use for the ultimate survival/utility/defensive blade? Also what are the legalities with these? Can I have it in my vehicle as long as I'm not carrying it like Conan or what?

csstoreonline_2106_3115805

Here is the Ka-Bar for comparison

1249_large.jpg

Edited by Smith
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure about the legalities of carrying it in a vehicle. Personally, I don't think I would do it on a regular basis. I would feel okay with it in the vehicle if I were going camping, etc. but that is just me and IANAL.

FWIW, I've looked at the KABAR version in person. Seemed plenty strong and sharp but is made in either China or Taiwan, can't remember which. Of course, what isn't made in China or Taiwan these days?

Also what are the legalities with these? Can I have it in my vehicle as long as I'm not carrying it like Conan or what?

It would fall under Unlawful Possession of a Weapon (TCA 39-17-1307). I'd say that as long as it's not "within reach" in the vehicle, you're probably fine. Comes down to the "intent to go armed" thing.

From TCA:

39-17-1307. Unlawful carrying or possession of a weapon. —

(a) (1) A person commits an offense who carries with the intent to go armed a firearm, a knife with a blade length exceeding four inches (4²), or a club.

What tool would you guys use for the ultimate survival/utility/defensive blade?

Have you looked into the Cold Steel shovel? It's like a much better made version of the Russin military shovel and looks pretty evil. :D

Go search youtube for some videos of one. You'll probably be as surprised as I was. I plan to pick one up sooner or later.

I keep a Cold Steel Kopis Machete in my trunk. I've used machetes for years and I think they make dandy survival tools. I used one at work when I was surveying. That was what we used to clear line with. Didn't wear you out like a bush axe would. We thought nothing of taking down a 8 to 10" tree with one. Kept them sharp with a bastard file.

I picked the Kopis because it had the sharpest point of any machete I'd seen. I want it to be able to cut and thrust. However the bad news is Cold Steel has dropped the Kopis from it's line. Now I'd get the Super Kukri or the Latin Machete with the longer blade. You can got to Cold Steel and watch the video at the beginning of the machete section. Watch them drive a nail into a couple of 2x4s with the 18" Latin Machete.

I'd also look for either a Mil Spec collapsible shovel or perhaps the Cold steel version of the Spetnez shovel mentioned above. You can use them for anything, including a club or axe in combat. The Cold Steel Shovel would probably be a bit easier to swing though since it doesn't have the D-ring handle like the Mil-spec shovel. Still either would be a great addition to your kit.

Edited by Moped

I have the KA-Bar Kukri. I use it to "prune" the large trees in the backyard when the branches get to big. As far as a multipurpose survival tool/weapon combo goes, the machete is the way to go. The reason I chose the Ka-Bar is because they make the knives for the USMC.

I've got the small CS Kukri machete, and I like mine a lot. It's a good, versatile blade. I had gotten mine as a "one blade" solution, and it works well in that role. However, I currently like the small knife/hatchet combo.

It's still a machete though, so the blade is thin. The factory edge will also suck. It will have a hollow grind bevel with heavy machining marks. I filed mine to a flat grind, which has worked well. I've heard that a convex edge works well, but I don't care enough to try it.

The checkering on the hard plastic grip may be a bit aggressive at first. It would try to dig into my hand while chopping, so a bit of sandpaper and some smoothing may be in order there. I had originally wrapped the grip of mine with tennis racket grip tape, which worked well. I've since taken it off and have been trying it without.

• 1 year later...
Guest G8trdone

I bought a hand made kukri from Kathmandu, Nepal. I picked one with a 10" blade and a western style handle but it weighs 1000 grams. It hacks through trees with ease but the blade is too wide for batoning wood and at over 2 lbs is a little on the heavy side for extended use. Still love the design, and utility. The carbon steel they used, from leaf spring steel, is very strong and keeps and edge very well no matter how hard I whack stuff... Next one I purchase will be a lot lighter!

kukristump.jpg[/img]

Have you looked into the Cold Steel shovel? It's like a much better made version of the Russin military shovel and looks pretty evil. :)

Go search youtube for some videos of one. You'll probably be as surprised as I was. I plan to pick one up sooner or later.

That's an impressive shovel!

You might wear yourself out faster hacking at stuff than you would with a machete, but not nearly as fast as you would trying to dig a whole with blade, LOL.

That's an impressive shovel!

You might wear yourself out faster hacking at stuff than you would with a machete, but not nearly as fast as you would trying to dig a whole with blade, LOL.

I have one in with my camp/bugout gear. It is a very nice and stout shovel well worth to 20 bucks or so on Amazon.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up a Marbles Devil's Tail Shovel at SMKW this week. I've been researching them and most that have used the CS shovel liked the Devil's Much better due to the square handle. They don't turn in your hand as much. The one drawback I see in them verses the CS shovel is they weight another pound. It's also a lot bigger head, but has a defensive weapon or chopper, they should be much better!

Marbles Shovel compared to CS special Forces - YouTube