summer gun substitute as EDC

Mike.357

I did not want to jack the other thread so hence this one.

Does anyone else carry a different gun in the summer?

I normally carry my XD45 in colder months when more clothes makes concealment easier. In the hotter months I go with a smaller gun.

Currently summer carry for me is either a Model 70 Berreta or the SP101. Both of which are smaller and way easier to hide.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to carry my 'summer gun' 90% of the time, winter and summer. Smith J-frame in a Kramer pocket holster. The other 10% it's a K-frame in .357.

A few years ago I tried carrying only revolvers for a year. I haven't gone back to semi-autos yet.

I don’t carry all the time, but I usually carry either a J-frame (36) or a K-frame (2 ½†66) during the summer.

During the winter or if I’m going to Memphis I carry a full size M&P 40 or a Compact M&P 40.

Everything is application driven.

Guest Bronker

Year-round I carry pretty much the same gun. An XD40sc, and occasionally the XD45.

Just recently I picked up a G19, and plan to give it a whirl at some point.

I am curious, Mike, how you carry your SP101. I'm really considering a hammer-bob to make it easier to deploy from pockets. If I were to carry IWB or OWB, I might as well carry one of my semi's.

I am curious, Mike, how you carry your SP101. I'm really considering a hammer-bob to make it easier to deploy from pockets. If I were to carry IWB or OWB, I might as well carry one of my semi's.

i carry it either IWB or OWB at about 4 O'clock. I always carry in that position no matter what gun it is. inside or out is a matter of how much concealment I need. Aside from the vest pocket FN .25 which I either put in a shirt pocket or in a pocket holster in one of my front pants pockets. And that is only if I really feel a need to have a "get off me gun on my person."

I dunno how you all pocket carry the SP101, feels way too big to me.

Guest Bronker
...I dunno how you all pocket carry the SP101, feels way too big to me.

Only in certain kinds of dress. I often wear cargo style pants at work (when not wearing scrubs) and those tend to have more baggy pockets. It is rather heavy though.

Thinking of getting a Kahr PM9 at some point. My wifey has one, and it's perfect size for pocket carry, IMO.

Guest Bronker
I shot a PM9 today, at least I think thats what it was. OS's pistol. I liked it a lot.

That's what it was. We had an hour long conversation about them when I had major issues with my PM9 the first range sessions.

That's what it was. We had an hour long conversation about them when I had major issues with my PM9 the first range sessions.

At any rate the Kahr for me would be too big for a front pocket, I would definitely want it in some sort of holster. But I did find the pistol a good shooter and accurate. I was able to hit a spinner target set at about 20 with regularity. While the trigger pull seemed long it was not real stiff. Its a heck of a pistol!

At any rate the Kahr for me would be too big for a front pocket, I would definitely want it in some sort of holster. But I did find the pistol a good shooter and accurate. I was able to hit a spinner target set at about 20 with regularity. While the trigger pull seemed long it was not real stiff. Its a heck of a pistol!

Just saw this thread...

Yeah, Mike shoots it better than I do. Garufa, too.

Then again, that's all normal.

You need to try in pocket sometime, Mike.

That's why I bought it and how I carry it. Many, if not most, do too. It's the whole reason for spending the big bucks on the PM9, to get reliable firepower of 9mm in yer pocket.

- OS

Guest Bronker
Just saw this thread...

Yeah, Mike shoots it better than I do. Garufa, too.

Then again, that's all normal.

You need to try in pocket sometime, Mike.

That's why I bought it and how I carry it. Many, if not most, do too. It's the whole reason for spending the big bucks on the PM9, to get reliable firepower of 9mm in yer pocket.

- OS

What he said...

I would probably choose a thin kydex option for it like the AHolster.

That is when I get one.

I would probably choose a thin kydex option for it like the AHolster.

You've seen it before, but yeah even though I'm mainly leather kinda guy dontchaknow, I do think Kydex is best choice for pocket carry. As Kahr says, "thinner is better".

Kahr-Stellar-sm.jpg

Btw, this Stellar Rigs model became quite popular, and Kahr now sells them from Kahr.com site.

- OS

Guest Bronker
You've seen it before, but yeah even though I'm mainly leather kinda guy dontchaknow, I do think Kydex is best choice for pocket carry. As Kahr says, "thinner is better".

Kahr-Stellar-sm.jpg

Btw, this Stellar Rigs model became quite popular, and Kahr now sells them from Kahr.com site.

- OS

I like that rig.

I like that rig.

It's not "speed tactical" since you'd have to go into same pocket to get spare mag, but it does keep it all together in same overall square space that just the gun alone would occupy.

It also looks like it would problematic getting gun out, but quite the contrary, just as your back couple of fingers nudge into the gap tween bottom of grip and top of spare mag, the gun just pops out of retainment right into hand.

I'm as quick getting this into play as my XD from IWB. Actually, MUCH quicker IF I already had hand in pocket.

I generally only carry it on the rare occasions I have to do the coat and tie thing, but I've been shooting the Kahr a little more lately, as have a place I need to go off and on where, um, well, let's say it would be better to be 150% concealed, so the Mighty Mite will see more carry than usual.

- OS

I suppose the Karh would work in a pocket. obviously it does for some of you.

It is light enough which is one reason why the SP101 does not work for me with pocket carry.

What do you do with whats in your pockets though? I have ID's and such in a small packet along with keys in my right pocket, folding knife for work in my left pocket.

No room for a gun. But then that is my situation.

(PS: thanks to the Moderator who moved this. I had too many windows open I guess when I OP'd)

What do you do with whats in your pockets though?

If you are right handed… Car keys, change, etc goes in front left pocket. ID’s and such go in your wallet in your back pocket. If you carry a knife it either clips to your belt or goes beside your wallet in your back pocket. Right front pocket is free for a gun.

At least that’s how I see it. :tinfoil: