1911 owners I have a question

Guest REDDOG79

Guest REDDOG79

For those of you that own 1911s when do you replace the recoil spring? Kimber's website suggests every 800 rounds. My Pro Carry II was not returning to full battery last time I shot it So I ordered a new recoil spring and replaced it. There was a huge difference between the two springs when I had them side by side. My Kimber has probably 2000 rounds through it with the original spring.

here are the 22 lb springs (top one is new bottom is old)

RECOILSPRINGS.jpg

I think I may have messed up when I sent my slide off for night sight installation as I left the spring compressed on the recoil guide rod while I waited for it to be returned. Just a friendly question as I am wondering if you replace it regularly or not?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would follow the manufacturer's recommendation. What works for one 1911 may not work for another - they're not all created equal. Replacing the recoil spring was not scheduled maintenance on the military model.

Guest REDDOG79

I have a Springfield M1911A1 that is the full size model that was my grandfathers and as far as I know it has never had the recoil spring changed

I have a Springfield M1911A1 that is the full size model that was my grandfathers and as far as I know it has never had the recoil spring changed

I have owned the same for 20 years, have never fooled with the springs and it runs like a champ.

Guest yellowsulphur29

I have the Kimber Crimson Carry II which is basically the same as yours, only difference is the crimson trace grips. I have easily put more than 1200 rds through it and have not had a hiccup once. I can't see any signs of wear on the spring either.

yeah man, that spring needs replaced. Once it stops returning to battery the first thing to check is the recoil spring. I have an eclipse pro, had the same problem, and fixed it the same way! Id say 2000 rds is about the life of a spring. Id buy Wolff springs to replace it with. Id say 800 is a little low to be replacing the spring.

I take out the spring and just keep my thumb up to push the slide back.

I accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

Edited by SHbicycle
Guest REDDOG79
I take out the spring and just keep my thumb up to push the slide back.

I accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

I think I will pass on this advice but thanks:rolleyes: It feels much better with the new spring installed. have to give it a test run maybe tomorrow in the backyard. It just sucked when it started failing to return to battery on my Classifier shoot at IDPA last month. It ran fine after a cleaning but replacing the spring was the best fix.

Kimber even sells 3 packs of the recoil springs so I may pick one up to have a few in reserve. I figure it had about 2000 rounds thru it before any problems.

Your Kimber has a completely different recoil system than standard 1911s (I've owned both)...comparing their recoil spring lives is apples / oranges and a mistake.

Kimber isn't kidding when they say 800 rounds with a ProCarry.

A standard 1911 can go much longer.

Guest cheez

The owner's manual for my Kimber says to replace the recoil spring at 2000 rounds. I can't say for sure when it needs to be replaced. I'm used to Glocks that don't need parts replaced for multiplied thousands of rounds. :-)

if its a carry gun, then I would be proactive in checking and keeping up with round count on the spring. if its not a self defense issue, just wait till you get about 2000 or it fails to return to battery. Id still stick with the Wolff Springs

Guest ColdSteel

In agreement with ThatGuy, the Pro series is a different animal and will wear a recoil spring slap out. The standard 22lb spring must be replaced every 800 rounds. The Wolff XP spring, for the Pro, is the way to go. The gun will run better than ever and you can go 1500 rounds on it. It's imperative that you replace the recoil spring, as scheduled, or you will crack in your frame in front of the slide stop. This crack may or may not impair the operation of the weapon, but it does suck.

Change springs on the Ultra and pro at 800 rds. Change on the 5" custom at 2000 rds.

From what I have read, Kimber buys their springs from Wolffe. If you buy from Kimber, you're just paying a premium for Kimber packaging.

Thanks for the advice guys - this is something I hadn't even thought about before reading your posts. I'm probably at about 1000 rounds through my Kimber, so I just ordered a spring from Wolf.