Unions Are the Bestest

Guest SUNTZU

Guest SUNTZU
(FORTUNE) -- Every journalist loves a peaceful protest-whether it makes news, shakes up a political season, or holds out the possibility of altering history. Then there are the ones that show up on your curb--literally.

Last Sunday, on a peaceful, sun-crisp afternoon, our toddler finally napping upstairs, my front yard exploded with 500 screaming, placard-waving strangers on a mission to intimidate my neighbor, Greg Baer.

Baer is deputy general counsel for corporate law at Bank of America (BAC, Fortune 500), a senior executive based in Washington, D.C. And that -- in the minds of the organizers at the politically influential Service Employees International Union and a Chicago outfit called National Political Action -- makes his family fair game.

Waving signs denouncing bank "greed," hordes of invaders poured out of 14 school buses, up Baer's steps, and onto his front porch. As bullhorns rattled with stories of debtor calls and foreclosed homes, Baer's teenage son Jack -- alone in the house -- locked himself in the bathroom. "When are they going to leave?" Jack pleaded when I called to check on him.

Baer, on his way home from a Little League game, parked his car around the corner, called the police, and made a quick calculation to leave his younger son behind while he tried to rescue his increasingly distressed teen. He made his way through a din of barked demands and insults from the activists who proudly "outed" him, and slipped through his front door.

"Excuse me," Baer told his accusers, "I need to get into the house. I have a child who is alone in there and frightened."

When is a protest not a protest?

Now this event would accurately be called a "protest" if it were taking place at, say, a bank or the U.S. Capitol. But when hundreds of loud and angry strangers are descending on your family, your children, and your home, a more apt description of this assemblage would be "mob." Intimidation was the whole point of this exercise, and it worked-even on the police. A trio of officers who belatedly answered our calls confessed a fear that arrests might "incite" these trespassers.

What's interesting is that SEIU, the nation's second largest union, craves respectability. Just-retired president Andy Stern is an Obama friend and regular White House visitor. He sits on the President's Fiscal Responsibility Commission. He hobnobs with those greedy Wall Street CEOs -- executives much higher-ranking than my neighbor Baer -- at Davos. His union spent $70 million getting Democrats elected in 2008.

In the business community, though, SEIU has a reputation for strong-arm tactics against management, prompting some companies to file suit.

Now those strong-arm tactics, stirred by supposedly free-floating (as opposed to organized) populist rage, have come to the neighborhood curb. Last year it was AIG executives -- with protestors met by security guard outside. Now it's any executive -- and they're on the front stoop. After Baer's house, the 14 buses left to descend on the nearby residence of Peter Scher, a government relations executive at JPMorgan Chase (JPM, Fortune 500).

Targeting homes and families seems to put SEIU in the ranks of (now jailed) radical animal-rights activists and the Kansas anti-gay fundamentalists harassing the grieving parents of a dead 20-year-old soldier at his funeral (the Supreme Court has agreed to weigh in on the latter). But that's not a conversation that SEIU officials want to have.

When I asked Stephen Lerner, SEIU's point-person on Wall Street reform, about these tactics, he accused me of getting "emotional." Lerner was more comfortable sticking to his talking points: "Millions of people are losing their homes, and they have gone to the banks, which are turning a deaf ear."

Okay, fine, then why not continue SEIU protests at bank offices and shareholder meetings-as the union has been doing for more than a year? Lerner insists, "People in powerful corporations seem to think they can insulate themselves from the damage they are doing."

Other reasons why SEIU might protest

Bank of America officials dispute Lerner's assertion about the "damage they are doing," citing the success of workout programs to help distressed homeowners, praise received from community groups, the bank's support of financial reform legislation, and the little-noticed fact that Bank of America exited the subprime lending business in 2001.

SEIU has said it wants to organize bank tellers and call centers -- and its critics point out that a great way to worsen employee morale, thereby making workers more susceptible to union calls, is to batter a bank's image through protest. (SEIU officials say their anti-Wall Street campaign has nothing to do with their organizing efforts.) Complicating this picture is the fact that BofA is the union's lender of choice -- and SEIU, suffering financially, owes the bank nearly $4 million in interest and fees. Bank of America declined comment on the loans.

0:00 /4:27Banks: The new punching bag

But SEIU's intentions, and BofA's lender record, are ripe subjects to debate in Congress, on air, at shareholder hearings. Not in Greg Baer's front yard.

Why the media wasn't invited

Sunday's onslaught wasn't designed for mainstream media consumption. There were no reporters from organizations like the Washington Post, no local camera crews who might have aired criticism of this private-home invasion. With the media covering the conservative Tea Party protesters, the behavior of individual activists has drawn withering scrutiny.

Instead, a friendly Huffington Post blogger showed up, narrowcasting coverage to the union's leftist base. The rest of the message these protesters brought was personal-aimed at frightening Baer and his family, not influencing a broader public.

Of course, HuffPost readers responding to the coverage assumed that Baer was an evil former Bush official. He's not. A lifelong Democrat, Baer worked for the Clinton Treasury Department, and his wife, Shirley Sagawa, author of the book The American Way to Change and a former adviser to Hillary Clinton, is a prominent national service advocate.

In the 1990s, the Baers' former bosses, Bill and Hillary Clinton, denounced the "politics of personal destruction." Today politicians and their voters of all stripes grieve the ugly bitterness that permeates our policy debates. Now, with populist rage providing a useful cover, it appears we've crossed into a new era: The politics of personal intimidation

Check out the picture at the link.

Article

**** unions.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest m&pc9

I heard on the news Alcoa United steelworkers union is prepared to strike if they dont get their way on a contract at the end of May.

With the unemployment at 10% Alcoa should tell them to go ahead, And replace everyone of them. It doesnt make sense to strike the best job in town.

We are supposed to feel sorry for a Senior Exec of Bank of America? **** that.

It doesn’t sound to me like his kid was in danger. But if he was; Baer should be ashamed that his business practices put his family in danger.

Maybe when the son gets done hiding in the bathroom he will do some research and find out what kind of guy good ole Dad is.

Guest 6.8 AR

So, what if that was your kid stuck in that house? Maybe

he makes more money than you or I. And maybe you

think SEIU thugs in a neighborhood protesting an in-

dividual is okay. The man has a job. He works for a

bank. If SEIU has a beef, they should be picketing the

bank. They were on his private property. What don't

you understand about that?

Learn about Andy Stern and his extortion tactics before

you defend them.

What's any different between that man and you or I? If

they showed up in my front yard and the police wouldn't

do anything, that bunch may get one warning shot before

the bloodbath.

We are supposed to feel sorry for a Senior Exec of Bank of America? **** that.

It doesn’t sound to me like his kid was in danger. But if he was; Baer should be ashamed that his business practices put his family in danger.

Maybe when the son gets done hiding in the bathroom he will do some research and find out what kind of guy good ole Dad is.

I do not even know where to start to reply to that tripe.

To speak in support a mob of paid thugs to trespass on personal property for a political issue, to validate intimidation is so anti-American that it is hard for me to fathom how anyone could condone such an action. A bus load of union thugs shows up on my front porch, at my personal home, with my child in the house alone, is going to find a much different response. That crap may fly in Yankee land, it will not in Tennessee.

Best not instigate a situation like this in a State that has a Castle Law.

Folks:______________

The State of West Virginia is dotted with little community graveyards that are full of folks that died in labor strife at the hands of misguided strikers who killed their brothers over working for a living; and those killed by real union operative thugs with criminal and "One Big Union (...read that Red or Communist...) leanings that thought it was ok to kill people who didn't agree with their politics and thoughts on union membership. Lots of this happened in communities that when the cases were tried; the witnesses were either too intimidated or just plain afraid to tell the truth of what happened; so the killers got off on mistrials and clearly wrong verdicts. The end result was that the union could murder or intimidate anyone they wanted to without worrying too much about any consequences or niceties of the law. This all happened from the era of about 1905 thru the New Deal when the great god Roosevelt sided with the unions and gave them the upper hand to unionize wherever (...and whatever...) they chose. This allowed the UMWA to organize and operate with impunity over the next 40 or so years and hold the heavy industry of the USA hostage to "miner's holidays" and strikes. The UMW was the only union to strike in wartime -- during WWII. The coal mine operators finally finished the reign of the UMW by developing and applying mechanized mining methods to coal operations. Today, the UMWA is a shell of what it once was; and overall union membership is about 12% (...link here: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/14/business/14count.html ...).

A core constituency of the Demorat party is the unions. They see the opportunity to strong arm whoever they can to increase that 12% membership (... which is, by the way, mostly government ---think about it...). That is why, for the first time in a long time, that they feel free to do whatever they want to do (... including thug tactics like targeting individual corporate officers...). They know that they have "friends in high places" if it comes to prosecution time. You are seeing this resurgence of these philosophies and tactics because you have radical leftists governing in the majority in this country who are the sons and daughters of the original thugs and "Reds" that thought this stuff was ok at the beginning of the last century.

I can’t wait for 2012 to come around; and im a pretty old guy and probably can’t afford to fritter away a couple of years at my advanced age.

Food for thought; and thanks for posting the article!

Folks need to wake up.

Leroy

Guest 6.8 AR

The SEIU has been exposed for the filth they are, just

like that ACORN filth. It doesn't matter which group

they are a member of, union or not. Getting I'm his

front yard to picket just so they can unionize a bunch

of bank tellers is wrong.

I agree with you, Leroy, about the history of union

struggles, but this doesn't compare to the thuggery

of Andy Stern and his little bolshevics. Their agenda

is a little different.

All:____________

Just found this in the opinion section of the Pittsburg Tribune-Review:

Friday, May 21, 2010

Rewarding Big Labor for political support, the Obama administration is virtually shutting nonunion contractors out of federal construction projects worth at least $25 million -- and sticking taxpayers with untold millions in higher costs.

Just weeks after taking office, President Obama signed an executive order encouraging use of project labor agreements (PLAs), which require contractors to agree to union representation and work rules. A federal rule implementing that order took effect May 12, benefiting the 15 percent of construction workers who are unionized -- and hurting the 85 percent who aren't.

This, in an industry with 27 percent unemployment. And with study after study showing PLAs hike costs 10 percent to 20 percent -- and the rule essentially ending open, competitive bidding for federal construction contracts -- taxpayers will feel plenty of pain, too.

But never mind. This White House has major political backers to pay off -- by giving organized labor a stranglehold on federal construction contracts that, by the way, practically guarantees increased contributions to union retirees' underfunded pension plans.

This new rule is, as The Wall Street Journal put it, "a raw display of political favoritism." And a sickening one at that.

Images and text copyright © 2010 by Trib Total Media, Inc.

Reproduction or reuse prohibited without written consent.

Link here: The union label: Paying off Big Labor - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review#

Leroy

So, what if that was your kid stuck in that house? Maybe he makes more money than you or I. And maybe you

think SEIU thugs in a neighborhood protesting an individual is okay. The man has a job. He works for a bank. If SEIU has a beef, they should be picketing the bank. They were on his private property. What don't

you understand about that?

Protesting and picketing is done all the time at the private residences of businesses people, Politicians, and any one else that finds them selves in the limelight.

When you are taking peoples home you can say you are just doing a job if you like; that doesn’t mean much to those losing their homes.

Learn about Andy Stern and his extortion tactics before you defend them.

I’m not defending anyone. I just don’t feel sorry for this guy; but that has nothing to do with unions.

If they showed up in my front yard and the police wouldn't do anything, that bunch may get one warning shot before the bloodbath.
That crap may fly in Yankee land, it will not in Tennessee.

Best not instigate a situation like this in a State that has a Castle Law.

You murder a protester on your lawn they will put you exactly where you belong… in prison; I don’t care where you live.

If you think Castle law has anything to do with killing an innocent person in your front yard; you are totally clueless as to what the Castle Doctrine is.

I'm going to start dressing as a senior bank executive. That's not considered a baited field, is it? :mad:

Ooh! I work for a bank so I can help you with your outfit! Shirt, tie, breifcase, straps of money bulging from your pockets, and dead kittens strung around your neck. :panic:

DaveTN, anybody in my yard not an invited guest isn't an innocent person. They are what is referred to as a trespasser in some circles... and protesting doesn't get them a free pass.

There is another term used to describe someone in my yard who is deliberately frightening my family. Out of consideration for the gentlefolk who might be upset, I will leave that term as an exercise for the class.

Got Shovel?

Guest 6.8 AR

No, Dave, not at their private residences. This is a bull****

tactic by a corrupt bunch of thugs for political and union

gain. It is not done all the time and it is not justified at

all.

If you think a mob showing up on your property with

signs, bullhorns and making threats is justified, you're

living in a dream world. It is something that has to

stop.

I am curious, what part of people losing their homes is the banks fault?

Did people not know they borrowed more than they could repay?

Or did they lose their jobs and then could not pay, so then it is the banks fault for seeking a repayment.

maybe I am wrong, but I believe the repercussions of not repaying my mortgage in the agreed upon manner is somewhere in the papers I signed at closing.

What a great place we live in. No personal responsibility required.

Guest 6.8 AR
I am curious, what part of people losing their homes is the banks fault?

Did people not know they borrowed more than they could repay?

Or did they lose their jobs and then could not pay, so then it is the banks fault for seeking a repayment.

maybe I am wrong, but I believe the repercussions of not repaying my mortgage in the agreed upon manner is somewhere in the papers I signed at closing.

What a great place we live in. No personal responsibility required.

That is exactly the problem, Mike, and it was caused by politicians

during the Carter Adminostration. It has also been a

tactic of SEIU and ACORN to extort money from banks by

bullying and pressuring them and politicians to cave on

there demands. The end result was a bunch of bad

mortgages given to non creditworthy borrowers. And

every bit of it is being paid for by you and I.

I'm sure DaveTN will find some kind of dirt on this

banker from BOA, but it will be nothing compared to

what caused the collapse.

Guest mustangdave

Stunts like this is just one more reason to have a supply non-lethal chemical agents to throw /shoot into the crowd from the second story of your residence

and it was caused by politicians

during the Carter Adminostration.

Explain further.

When I got my original home loan here in TN, I was a first time buyer and received a loan that was a " no income verification" loan. And I was pre- approved for some gawd awful amount I new I could never afford payments on.

I used my own personal responsibility to purchase a home I could afford to pay for each month. If I was a total dumb ass I could have bought a house that cost three as much and would not have been able to make payments on unless the sun, moon and stars were all properly aligned.

I’m not defending anyone. I just don’t feel sorry for this guy; but that has nothing to do with unions.

It may not have anything to do with unions in general, but it has everything to do with the trash that is the SEIU

You murder a protester on your lawn they will put you exactly where you belong… in prison; I don’t care where you live.

If you think Castle law has anything to do with killing an innocent person in your front yard; you are totally clueless as to what the Castle Doctrine is.

You assume to understand the gist of my post would be some random act of violence. I can promise my actions, faced with such a situation, would be anything but pursued without thought. I understand the principals of the Castle Doctrine quite well. If you are chased to your domicile (or personal vehicle for that matter) and fear for your life, your actions are called self defense.

Murder connotes the taking of another’s life without just cause, and if I have not already committed such an act responding to previous stimulus, I would not do so under these circumstances. Shots would not have to be fired, the cattle would be herded off the grass though.

For starters, in Tennessee, any person that is on another's property, is asked to leave, and does not, is trespassing. That bunch of asses might stand and bray in the street, on the Public right-of-way, but they would not have done so on my land. Their mere presence after being told to leave private property makes them criminals. 14 buses with what, 30 people each, would lend itself to creating a situation where one might construe intent to do harm on the part of the assembly. We do not take kindly to such odds in Dixie; rather we prefer a more even contest.

I have dealt with this type of scum before, and know that the mob mentality does not lend itself to inclusion of much intestinal fortitude individually. Cowards do not need much instigation to get them to run from perceived trouble.

May just be the small town in me, but I was not raised to include the family of an antagonist in our differences, and to do so is base. People who live where they can not provide for their own defense may have to acquiesce to such intimidation, but where men are still free to command the space around them, there is no need to accept such treatment.

Edited by Worriedman
Guest HvyMtl

Unions, at a specific time in world history, were crucial. Were it not for unions, you would not have workers compensation. You would be let go if you got injured on the job, and someone else would have your job. Lost a hand due to the poorly designed machinery used in the factory? Tough. You would have no recourse, no job, and be plunged into poverty for the remainder of your pathetic life. Were it not for unions, 8 year olds would be used and disposed of by corporations. Child labor would be rampant. Your 9 year old get killed in the factory? Tough crap. Send your other child to work in their stead. In return, get crap wages, be forced to live in the Company Town, shop at the Company Store, and live and die in debt to the Company.

There would be no employment rights, no minimum wage, no 40 hour work week, and no vacation.

A company could out right kill you and there was no recourse for your family. The fault was all on the worker...

This said. A lot of the present unions, are just another layer of abuse.

I really appreciated the fact I could not get a job at the local grocery chain, unless I joined the union. I refused to join, and did not get hired. That is raw discrimination in my view.

In some cases, the "union bosses" are nothing but corporate officials, twisted to what the corporation wants and needs, and not for the employees.

In other cases, the unions have become overly corrupt and out lived their usefulness. Apparent back in the day of Hoffa and the Teamsters,corruption is now far more subtle. The "boses" of several want to keep the power they have, even if the union has become more and more irrelevant to the employees welfare and their safety.

Worse, some unions foster the concept of the "welfare society" in their members.

Worse still,some employers / businesses would like nothing more to kill off unions to ensure they no longer have to ensure certain levels of pay, rights, and safety of workers.

So. Where do I stand? Somewhere in the middle, where the ethical treatment of workers would end the need for unions, and the unions would close when their needs were removed. In other words, no where near reality...

These people did over step their rights, when they trespassed. I would have called the police on them and had them forced to stay on the sidewalk. I wonder if the locality has a "permit to assemble," where to have a group protest, or merely assemble on public property, such as the street and sidewalk, a permit had to be issued. If not, make sure the union pays the fine for no permit.

Edited by HvyMtl