no CZ love, what's the deal?

byrnemm

Guest mikedwood
mikedwood,

Crossbreed sells a Supertuck model specifically for the P-01.

Also, Top Gun Supply is selling a Don Hume OWB leather holster:

Don Hume H721OT Black, Right Hand, CZ-75 Compact, PCR, P-01 - Top Gun Supply

Thanks for the info and I may do that. I just like trying them out in an actual store. To me holsters are like shoes, hard to fit online. May work or may not and at $50 to $100 bucks a pop.

I have been wanting a supertuck the P01 maybe the perfect gun to try it on.

There is a place on Ebay that I ordered some nice grips from (for my Clot Cobra) that also makes a OWB holster for the P01 oddly enough. I may order one of them, they are only about $20 and the grips were very very nice.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the old CZ pistols that are available via C&R all that (CZ-82)? I've thought about buying a couple over the years but having not ever even held one, much less fired one, I've always hesitated.

We have a bunch of em, actually. CZ is the most underrated gun out there, and are one of the oldest gun manufacturers in the world. The P01 is absolutely the best feeling gun to me in existance right now, and the Tactical Sport model they do for competition shooting is just... freakin phenomenal.

The only models we dont have atm is the RAMI and the Tactical Sport, I believe.

I bought my P01 off the shelf at another vendor in town. Sounds like they're available at the better stores. I agree on the feel.

The main draw backs for the CZ's is a correct holster is hard to find (dare I say impossible) and it would be nice to be able to get a mag without ordering one. If I could find a holster for my P01 it would certainly get some carry time.

Comp-Tac also makes them.

Got my CZ75 off Bud's. It's my carry gun. Best feeling/shooting pistol I've ever shot. CZ's are uncommon because they 1.) Aren't popular in movies/tv/videogames, 2.) Aren't used by government agencies in the US, 3.) Have a difficult to pronounce name, 4.) Have no advertising campaign to speak of in the US. That's what I figure.

I have a Comp-Tac M-TAC holster that was made for my CZ75 and it fits it wonderfully. Makes carrying a full size steel frame pistol quite comfortable.

Edited by Kelemvor
stuff

We also have a ton of CZs in stock, to include 75s, P01s, and Tac Sports.

What I find very interesting, is the number of USED CZs we take in on trade.

I cant figure out why so many experienced shoots have traded in 75s and P01s in the past 6 months.

What didnt they like about them?

*I love my Tac Sport btw....best non-1911 trigger available!

I cant figure out why so many experienced shoots have traded in 75s and P01s in the past 6 months.

that Tac Sport trigger is out of this world and ironically the used P01s you are seeing might have something to do with the trigger.

Guest mn32768

I'm not an experienced shooter but a CZ fan... CZ-75/85 is built like a tank, it's solid metal and with a full magazine it's like wielding a cinderblock. The empty weight of a CZ-75 is almost twice that of a comparable Glock (2.4 lbs vs 22 oz). It might be folks who carry a 9mm prefer something lighter.

Guest mikedwood
that Tac Sport trigger is out of this world and ironically the used P01s you are seeing might have something to do with the trigger.

Yeah might have cause it's an odd trigger. Like more on an oblong cam or something and kind of a gritty feel.

There is a .25 type trigger job you can do on them that makes the trigger great.

I'm not an experienced shooter but a CZ fan... CZ-75/85 is built like a tank, it's solid metal and with a full magazine it's like wielding a cinderblock. The empty weight of a CZ-75 is almost twice that of a comparable Glock (2.4 lbs vs 22 oz). It might be folks who carry a 9mm prefer something lighter.

Those are all strong selling points to me as a buyer... (but then, im a 1911 guy :stunned: )

Guest ArmyVeteran37214
The main draw backs for the CZ's is a correct holster is hard to find (dare I say impossible) and it would be nice to be able to get a mag without ordering one. If I could find a holster for my P01 it would certainly get some carry time.

I ordered a Black DC Special holster from H.B.E. Specialty LeatherWorks. When I spoke with Eric on the phone, he said he had the ability to make holsters for just about every CZ pistol. Coincidentally, my Rami fits the same holster that I had made for my 75 Compact. The Rami leaves about an inch of space at the bottom of the holster, but everything else lines up nicely.

Edited by StreetWK05
Are the old CZ pistols that are available via C&R all that (CZ-82)? I've thought about buying a couple over the years but having not ever even held one, much less fired one, I've always hesitated.

I've owned several 82's and they are by FAR the nicest compact pistol for the money $200-250

That and 9mm Makarov is still dirt cheap, even for hollow points.

-Mike

Guest Lester Weevils

I like the look and feel of Beretta 92, and my hand shoots a 92 more accurately than any other pistol except .22 LR.

It is said that the 92 is 'combat accurate' but not 'target accurate', but dunno if having a pistol more accurate than a 92 would improve MY shooting. Hope springs eternal of course <g>.

Since CZs have a look and feel similar to a 92, and have reputation of accuracy, it is on the 'short list'.

Considering options for a 'target 9mm' just reading reviews, have found these:

1. CZ-75 possibly in some target/competition variant (though it is unlikely I'd ever compete)

2. EAA Witness in some target/competition variant. Apparently the Witness is basically an Italian-made CZ?

3. STI 9mm 1911, or possibly some other brand 'nice' 9mm 1911?

Haven't seen any new CZ's 'in person'. From a Shallow Hal perspective, have seen some older CZ's lookin kinda rough on the outside, maybe closer to a Taurus PT-99 finish rather than a Beretta 92 finish.

Have seen and handled a couple of EAA Witness (just not in the desired configuration) which appeared to have exterior fit&finish similar in quality to Beretta.

Never seen an STI in person, only good reviews online.

Any advice which would be the most promising path of the three for paper punching? Or maybe something else entirely? Hopefully less than $1000, almost definitely no more than $1500?

• Moderators
I thought about picking up a CZ something for my next carry gun but I just don't see them anywhere.

Arms Fair on Trinity has a couple of CZs in the case. Don't quote me, but I think they might have a P-07, I know they have a Rami.

Guest smileyguy

The 75 has been on my wish list for a while. Unfortunately, my wish list is really long, so who knows when/if I'll get my hands on one. It would go nicely with my 52 and 82.

edit:

By the way, Coal Creek has CZs everytime I've been in. I think Frontier Firearms has them as well.

Until a couple of months ago, I had never fired a CZ, either. Then my mom bought a CZ vz 82 at Frontier Firearms. I fired hers and liked it well enough that when I saw one at Farnsworth's that had been taken in trade, I got it. I guess they are heavier than most modern compact carry pistols their size - mine is noticebly heavier than my Kel Tec P11 - but aside from comparing them to plastic fantastics, I don't think they are all that heavy. The mag release and safety release are ambidextrous. It can be carried 'cocked and locked' but it appears to have a 'rebounding hammer' type design and is DA/SA so when I carry it I will probably go with condition 2. Both mom's and mine are impressively accurate with Wolf FMJ and Monarch steel cased 9mm Mak ammo - and since it is a 'commie' gun, I don't hesitate to feed it steel cased ammo. I bought it as much as for a fun gun as anything - and because I didn't have anything chambered in 9mm Mak - but it will get carried, some.

Mom's was something like $246 or so before tax, etc. and came with two mags, a spare mag belt 'sheath', lanyard and a duty type holster. Mine was $199 before tax, etc. and came with just the one mag and none of the other stuff.

I've owned several 82's and they are by FAR the nicest compact pistol for the money $200-250

That and 9mm Makarov is still dirt cheap, even for hollow points.

-Mike

Are you finding cheap Mak ammo locally to you or are you ordering it online? I ask because even the Wolf black box and Military Classic FMJ stuff is up to around $20 or more per box of fifty everywhere I have seen it. I haven't found any JHP at all, yet (but I've only checked a couple of places.)

I do know that the new Academy in Chattanooga has ther Monarch brand in steel-cased, FMJ Mak for just under $10 for a box of 50 - about the same price that Walmart sells the Federal 9mm Luger FMJ for. I tried some of the Monarch in mom's CZ (before I got mine) and it worked as well as the Wolf, IMO. I plan on making a trip to Academy this weekend to pick up a few boxes. I'd like to find some of the Hornady JHPs to try out and honestly prefer to buy ammo in a brick and mortar store - but I will order online or by mail order if I can't find a local source or the price difference is enough to justify paying shipping, etc.

Edited by JAB
I like the look and feel of Beretta 92, and my hand shoots a 92 more accurately than any other pistol except .22 LR.

It is said that the 92 is 'combat accurate' but not 'target accurate', but dunno if having a pistol more accurate than a 92 would improve MY shooting. Hope springs eternal of course <g>.

Since CZs have a look and feel similar to a 92, and have reputation of accuracy, it is on the 'short list'.

Considering options for a 'target 9mm' just reading reviews, have found these:

1. CZ-75 possibly in some target/competition variant (though it is unlikely I'd ever compete)

2. EAA Witness in some target/competition variant. Apparently the Witness is basically an Italian-made CZ?

3. STI 9mm 1911, or possibly some other brand 'nice' 9mm 1911?

Haven't seen any new CZ's 'in person'. From a Shallow Hal perspective, have seen some older CZ's lookin kinda rough on the outside, maybe closer to a Taurus PT-99 finish rather than a Beretta 92 finish.

Have seen and handled a couple of EAA Witness (just not in the desired configuration) which appeared to have exterior fit&finish similar in quality to Beretta.

Never seen an STI in person, only good reviews online.

Any advice which would be the most promising path of the three for paper punching? Or maybe something else entirely? Hopefully less than $1000, almost definitely no more than $1500?

CZ SP01, preferably Shadow, unless you need a decocker. Trigger job and tricked out by Angus Hobdel if you want to rule the world.

EAA Witnesses are trying to recover from some bad importation decisions right now. Has to do with small caliber magazines in large frame guns. They have applied a fix, but its still fresh.

STIs rock. Trojan or Spartan will get you in under 1k.

Guest smileyguy

Are you finding cheap Mak ammo locally to you or are you ordering it online? I ask because even the Wolf black box and Military Classic FMJ stuff is up to around $20 or more per box of fifty everywhere I have seen it. I haven't found any JHP at all, yet (but I've only checked a couple of places.)QUOTE]

I ordered 250 rounds from cheaper than dirt. $9.09 per box of 50 + shipping = 57.80. After shipping that's $11.56 per box of 50.

Guest tbone

I bet there would be a pretty good selection of CZ's on gunbroker. American Rifleman had a good article a while back on the Witness. The article acknowledged the CZ roots and had high praise for the design. I want to try one myself one of these days, but like someone previously posted, there always seems to be something else that gets my attention when I have the money to spend. Too many guns and not enough money....it's almost everyone's dilemma isn't it?

Guest Lester Weevils
CZ SP01, preferably Shadow, unless you need a decocker. Trigger job and tricked out by Angus Hobdel if you want to rule the world.

EAA Witnesses are trying to recover from some bad importation decisions right now. Has to do with small caliber magazines in large frame guns. They have applied a fix, but its still fresh.

STIs rock. Trojan or Spartan will get you in under 1k.

Thanks, McAllyn.

With a Shadow and no decocker, if one wanted to carry it hammer-down DA first shot, like a Beretta 92-- Would you just carefully hang onto the hammer and pull the trigger? Like decocking a revolver?

With a Firing Pin block, would that still be 'pretty safe' if you accidentally lost grip on the hammer, as long as one was smart enough not to pull the trigger all the way back and release the Firing Pin block?

The CZ Custom Shop Shadow Target looks nice. Am thinking I'd rather keep the Firing Pin Block in the gun even if it would prevent the thang from being the 'ideal race gun'. Maybe some time or the other it would be desirable to use for something other than a range toy, and it would be a bummer to accidentally drop the gun and get unintentional discharge?

Maybe I should call CZ Custom Shop and work out the details. Sounds like the Shadow Target would be very desirable, except get them to leave the Firing Pin Block in-place. Gotta have the adjustable sights.

Thanks, McAllyn.

With a Shadow and no decocker, if one wanted to carry it hammer-down DA first shot, like a Beretta 92-- Would you just carefully hang onto the hammer and pull the trigger? Like decocking a revolver?

With a Firing Pin block, would that still be 'pretty safe' if you accidentally lost grip on the hammer, as long as one was smart enough not to pull the trigger all the way back and release the Firing Pin block?

The CZ Custom Shop Shadow Target looks nice. Am thinking I'd rather keep the Firing Pin Block in the gun even if it would prevent the thang from being the 'ideal race gun'. Maybe some time or the other it would be desirable to use for something other than a range toy, and it would be a bummer to accidentally drop the gun and get unintentional discharge?

Maybe I should call CZ Custom Shop and work out the details. Sounds like the Shadow Target would be very desirable, except get them to leave the Firing Pin Block in-place. Gotta have the adjustable sights.

Yeah, basically, grab the hammer with all your strength and control, pull trigger and lower it down. I went with the Tactical because I prefer the decocker (I can be clumsy even when trying VERY hard not to be) According to CZ Custom (Angus or Matt) the trigger in the Tactical can be made almost identical to the Shadow, but not exactly.

I completely agree in leaving in the FPB. Actually, if you're ever going to compete USPSA Production (maybe IDPA also, don't know their rules) you'll need the FPB to be in there anyway. If it wasn't there, you don't need to add it, but if it was in there, you can't remove it.

I started with 92's, still have them, still love them, but my CZ is no comparison. With all the forward weight of the full length dust cover, the super low bore axis, and the grip shape, that gun is just too awesome. I load 132pf 125gn JHP's, and the gun does not move. At all.

I'll echo what mn32768 said. I have a 75b and it's a real pleasure to shoot, but since getting my HCP a few months ago I've been shaping up on selling it to help fund a more carry friendly option (probably a Glock 26).

A coworker let me shoot his 75b a few years back and I bought one within a couple of months. Prior to that I had never heard of CZ. Very underrated pistols. If the economy didn't have me in a sell one to buy one scenario, I'd hang on to it.