no CZ love, what's the deal?

byrnemm

Guest Lester Weevils

I started with 92's, still have them, still love them, but my CZ is no comparison. With all the forward weight of the full length dust cover, the super low bore axis, and the grip shape, that gun is just too awesome. I load 132pf 125gn JHP's, and the gun does not move. At all.

Thanks, McAllyn

What is the scoop on adjustable rear sight? I shoot pistol right-hand with left eye, and the sight typically works better for me if I can push it around a little. Once I find a sweet spot it usually stays there, but rarely maybe if my technique gets better or changes, the sight will get adjusted a click or two. That is so much easier to do with an adjustable sight.

Had bought an adjustable sight maybe from Dillon long ago and put it on the Inox 92. It was enough hassle maybe I'd have paid a gunsmith to do it in retrospect, but was just a drop-in replacement ignoring all the hammer-pounding on a brass punch.

The CZ Custom shop, maybe am reading the site wrong, but it looks like they have a 'competition sight' that is just a bigger piece of metal that is only drift-adjustable, and then they have an adjustable target sight they machine into the slide.

Is there no nice adjustable sight for a CZ that you can just pound out the old sight and pound in the new one? Is the factory slide cut way non-standard compared to something like a Beretta 92?

Thanks!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I own 2 of the same pistol for carry. The CZ P01. It was created for my hand, is completely reliable, eats all ammo fed to it, is compact yet holds 14+1 and in my opinion is the only pistol I need or want.

I own 2 of the same pistol for carry. The CZ P01. It was created for my hand, is completely reliable, eats all ammo fed to it, is compact yet holds 14+1 and in my opinion is the only pistol I need or want.

Ben the grip on the P01 is pretty thick. Has it ever given you a problem concealing? Do you mind sharing what holster you use?

Thanks, McAllyn

What is the scoop on adjustable rear sight? I shoot pistol right-hand with left eye, and the sight typically works better for me if I can push it around a little. Once I find a sweet spot it usually stays there, but rarely maybe if my technique gets better or changes, the sight will get adjusted a click or two. That is so much easier to do with an adjustable sight.

Had bought an adjustable sight maybe from Dillon long ago and put it on the Inox 92. It was enough hassle maybe I'd have paid a gunsmith to do it in retrospect, but was just a drop-in replacement ignoring all the hammer-pounding on a brass punch.

The CZ Custom shop, maybe am reading the site wrong, but it looks like they have a 'competition sight' that is just a bigger piece of metal that is only drift-adjustable, and then they have an adjustable target sight they machine into the slide.

Is there no nice adjustable sight for a CZ that you can just pound out the old sight and pound in the new one? Is the factory slide cut way non-standard compared to something like a Beretta 92?

Thanks!

CZCustom sells LPA TPUs that are drop in on the 75 slides, item 30042. They also have Bo-Mar style LPAs for the Tactical Sport. I'm not a huge fan of adjustable sites for my comp guns simply because they can take some abuse, and its not easy to rezero in the middle of a match.

If I notice my POA has changed, I know there's a problem. I'll look for the problem, before I click to adjust.

Mac

Ben the grip on the P01 is pretty thick. Has it ever given you a problem concealing? Do you mind sharing what holster you use?

I at first thought so as well (a couple of years ago) so I bought a pair of thin aluminum grips from CZ custom. They certainly thinned the grip, I was able to really wrap my full hand around...but...my grouping was all of a sudden turning to crap during rapid fire (the only way i fire..lol).

I switched back to the stock rubber grips and it was back to normal again.

The rubber grips also hold up very well when i sweat during long training days.

Regarding holsters....

I have owned, used and put away in storage at least 7 holsters (all "custom" type holsters) and I have fallen in love with the Comp Tac Minotaur: Inside Waistband Holsters - Minotaur Holsters - products new home - Minotaur MTAC Holster

It is an IWB holster, stays in position, is concealable and tuckable, cantable etc... It is truly a great holster for everyday carry and training. It is leather and kydex mix. I have had it soaked several times in pouring rain during training...It has been sweat on, bled on and worn at least 12 hours a day, every day, for the past 8 months and it is a champ.

Just to compare...I also have the Milt Sparks VM2 (I have 2 of them...one new in package and one I have used) and I like the Milt sparks but the Comp Tac wins out in my opinion. Again, the Milt Sparks VM2 is a great holster and would be my second choice if I lost my Comp Tac.

I have had the P01 trigger job done by CZ Customs and I love the trigger pull/feel. Well worth the $ for me.

As far as mag pouches, i find that the Blade Tek single mag pouch works best as it rides higher and conceals better and does not dig in to my side like other mag pouches do. For group training I typically carry a double mag pouch by Fobus, just like this

Fobus Holsters 6900RP Double Magazine Pouch, Glock 9/40, Roto Paddle

I like to have that 3rd mag for training as I carry the 3rd mag when doing protective work etc...

Ammo is the Hornady FTX Critical Defense

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Handgun :: Choose by Product Line :: Critical Defense®

I am possibly switching ammo to the Winchester Bonded PDX1 9mm 147gr as i like a heavier bullet (instead of the 115gr Hornady FTX).

• Admin Team
I am possibly switching ammo to the Winchester Bonded PDX1 9mm 147gr as i like a heavier bullet (instead of the 115gr Hornady FTX).

I switched to the 147gr Federal HST a couple of years ago, and love the heavier round. Whether it's the heavier bullet, or a reduced charge to keep them subsonic or a combination of both, my recoil management is noticeably better with the 147gr round.

Guest Lester Weevils
CZCustom sells LPA TPUs that are drop in on the 75 slides, item 30042. They also have Bo-Mar style LPAs for the Tactical Sport. I'm not a huge fan of adjustable sites for my comp guns simply because they can take some abuse, and its not easy to rezero in the middle of a match.

If I notice my POA has changed, I know there's a problem. I'll look for the problem, before I click to adjust.

Mac

Thanks for the great info, Mac!

I have had the P01 trigger job done by CZ Customs and I love the trigger pull/feel. Well worth the $ for me.

How much was the trigger job? I love my P01 (shot it today), but wouldn't mind a better trigger.

How much was the trigger job? I love my P01 (shot it today), but wouldn't mind a better trigger.

The trigger job was around $225+ I believe. It seems steep but it is a great improvement. I am getting it done on my second P01 asap.

Guns & Ammo on Summer had a bunch of them when I was there May 8th. 75's, P01's, RAMI's and the elusive CZ-75 D PCR.

They are great guns. The triggers take some getting used to but the accuracy is amazing.

Maybe if they were seen more in the movies and on TV they would be more popular. :hat:

I waited a couple of months before my "elusive" PCR came up on Angus' site. Kevin at K&D made me a great holster for it and it's my regular weekend OWB carry.

My G19 gets more weekday carry in a Smartcarry holster because it doesn't have the "beavertail" to poke in to me when I sit down.

The PCR is an awesome gun though!

Guest mikedwood

I thought of this thread yesterday. I took my girlfriend to the range for her 1st shots :D she did awesome and i'm so proud of her.

We went to Austin's TN firearms afterwards so she could handle some of them cause my Glock and Sigs grips were to big for her really.

The 1911 fit her pretty well, the XD was no better than the Glock but I got a CZ P07 for her to hold and her beautiful eyes lit up and she said "I really like this one"

I thought that was pretty neat and it's certainly a gun that needs looked at by people with smaller hands.

Just bout a CZ Sp-01 Phantom yesterday. Any ideas on good belt holsters. Will probably get a Supertuck for summer, but I like a nice leather holster for wearing under my sport coat during the winter. 2 rules, must be black and must have a good shiny finish, but not patent.

Just bout a CZ Sp-01 Phantom yesterday. Any ideas on good belt holsters. Will probably get a Supertuck for summer, but I like a nice leather holster for wearing under my sport coat during the winter. 2 rules, must be black and must have a good shiny finish, but not patent.

If it's the same size as the regular P01, I have a Galco CON250B that's great.

Guest Bronker

I have, and love, a CZ Phantom as well. It is NOT the same size as the SP-01's or any of their variants however. So, the holsters are not interchangeable.

However:)...

I just happen to own a few XD's, and multiple holsters for each. My Phantom will fit each of my leather XD full size holsters, very well. The main reason is because of the squared-off front trigger guard.

It fits very well into a couple of Don Hume's made for full size XD's:

IWB's, like the H715

h715mwc.jpg

And some Tagua open top leathers like the OWB pancake:

REKB.jpg

So far, I have found most leather holsters made for a full size XD will fit the Phantom. YMMV.

Hope this helps!

• 4 months later...
Are you finding cheap Mak ammo locally to you or are you ordering it online? I ask because even the Wolf black box and Military Classic FMJ stuff is up to around $20 or more per box of fifty everywhere I have seen it. I haven't found any JHP at all, yet (but I've only checked a couple of places.)

I do know that the new Academy in Chattanooga has ther Monarch brand in steel-cased, FMJ Mak for just under $10 for a box of 50 - about the same price that Walmart sells the Federal 9mm Luger FMJ for. I tried some of the Monarch in mom's CZ (before I got mine) and it worked as well as the Wolf, IMO. I plan on making a trip to Academy this weekend to pick up a few boxes. I'd like to find some of the Hornady JHPs to try out and honestly prefer to buy ammo in a brick and mortar store - but I will order online or by mail order if I can't find a local source or the price difference is enough to justify paying shipping, etc.

Silver Bear JHP's $8-12 a box of 50

CZ's are nice guns. I have a 452 Varmit 22LR and shoot it all the time. It is a quality gun for the money. If i had money, I would buy a CZ centerfire handgun, probably the CZ 75 in stainless. The SP01 is nice too. The CZ handguns give my 1911 a run for its money because they can be kept cocked and locked and there is a guy in Conway, AR that does trigger jobs on them. I've heard he is pretty good.

Guest carbonarcher

I love my CZ 75b! As repeated in the thread, it is one of the most under rated guns out there. For the money, it's hard to beat.

Not to long ago, I read a story that the SAS had been testing the CZ 75b against the Sig 226, supposedly they liked it more then the sig, yet due to it being a com-bloc country, they went with the Sig 226.

Guest FiddleDog

I've been drooling over a P-06 for some time. I would gladly swap out my Glock for it...not saying that i don't love Glocks....but, there is just something about P-06!

Just past 3500rds through my SP-01 without a single issue or bobble of any kind to report (and it's only been cleaned 3 times over that stretch, 1 detail-stripped "for real" cleaning, and 2 "wipe & lube" quickies). Have to say it's made me a full-on convert to the CZ cult.

So far the only problem I'm having is that I couldn't resist going ahead and trying shooting it with the FPB removed, so now I'm going to have to buy the "Shadow" version which already comes without it from the factory...

(in-case anyone is wondering if having no FPB makes the gun less-safe, the answer is: it's strictly a matter of one's personal opinion, as just about any decent 1911 out there is based on a 70's series which does not have a FPB and also that CZ's fire control, like a 1911's, is based on the "inertial firing-pin" scheme which means with the hammer sitting flush the firing pin does not protrude beyond the breech-face and requires a full hammer-fall to extend and light a primer, so short of hammer-follow do to poor gunsmithing or dropping it squarely onto the back of it's hammer from several feet up, things are just fine.)

I've installed a CZ-Custom's competition rear sight as well as their competition hammer, a Dawson front blade, and lighter recoil and mainsprings, now, other than the smaller safeties and stock trigger it's pretty much a Shadow Custom.

With the drop in parts and only some minor polishing the DA pull is now a smooth-as-butter 5.5#, and SA is a super-crisp, creep-free 2.5#, the trigger-reset W/O the FPB is as short or shorter than a good 1911, with FPB installed it's just a hair longer than a Glock but still shorter than an M&P... except, either way, reset happens with near as much "snap" as a Glock and is much more authoritative than one might expect.

As good as the trigger is now, If/when I get a Shadow, this one will be getting a single-action-only trigger taking it fully into "trigger-nirvanna" as any and all pre-travel and/or over-travel will be eliminated. I think his gun has put my plan to buy an STI or other 9mm 1911 pretty much permanently on hold, as I've never seen or heard of any one of them running like this one does, and accuracy-wise it can hang with any of them.

It now also wears VZ G10 grips which make it thinner than a 1911 wearing slim grips yet light enough to make weight for IDPA SSP with an empty 19rd mag at just under 39ozs.

492914ed.jpg

Edited by CK1
NO FPB explanation...