Important warning

This has been published in several ''threat'' columns and I received the article in an email from a reliable source.

I know that if there is a capped bottle in my yard, I'm gonna get a rake and whack it & skoot away for awhile.

T&R

Don't pick up any plastic bottles that may be laying in your yards or in the gutter' date=' etc.[/font']

Pay attention to this.

1. a plastic bottle with a cap.

2. a little Drano.

3. a little water.

4. a small piece of foil.

5. Disturb it by moving it; and BOOM!!

6. No fingers left and other serious effects to your face, eyes, etc..

People are finding these bombs in mailboxes and in their yards, just waiting for you to pick it up intending to put it in the trash. But, you'll never make it!!! It takes about 30 seconds to blow after you move the thing.

See "SNOPES" below....it's true.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/bottlebomb.asp

Click here: snopes.com: Bottle Bombs

Click here: Boy Charged With Tossing 'Drano Bomb' In School - Video - WDIV Detroit

Click here: 12-Year-Old Arrested In 'Drano Bomb' Attack - wcbstv.com

Click here: YouTube - how to make a drano bomb

Drano is basically sodium hydroxide (NaOH) in solution. It reacts with the aluminum foil (Caustic catalyzed aqueous oxidation Al(OH)3 to produce hydrogen gas (H2 gas), which ruptures the bottle in a pressure-based explosion. The danger comes primarily from the resulting spray of caustic liquid, the explosion itself can cause chemical burns to face and skin, lost of hand and fingers and blindness.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to me like as soon as someone assembled the "drano bomb", it would explode in short order. How could they assemble it, re-cap it, and leave it in a yard for a victim to pick up without the thing exploding 20 seconds after they put the cap on it?

Guest Glock23ForMe
So I guess they'd have to carefully sit the bottle in your yard. I was picturing some kids throwing a bottle in your yard.

It does look dangerous if you don't know they are there or what is in them... However, if you were building them and blowing them up for pleasure and fun, not for terrorism, it looks pretty sweet.

I remember Drano Bombs from when I was a kid. We didn't do anything nefarious like this with them, but they have been around for a long time. Nothing new here.

I guess when it goes from the innocent 'let's make something go boom' to 'let's hurt someone' that is when it starts getting media coverage.

It is a scary world we live in, but it isn't as scary as some would lead us to believe.

It seems to me like as soon as someone assembled the "drano bomb", it would explode in short order. How could they assemble it, re-cap it, and leave it in a yard for a victim to pick up without the thing exploding 20 seconds after they put the cap on it?

exactly, I am not putting much faith in this. Got it in an email last week

If I had a hydrogen powered car, how far could I go on a can of drano and a roll of aluminum foil? And why have we not capitalized on this energy packed backyard science?

I did see a news report a week or so ago about one of these going off in front of someone's home. Somewhere around Knoxville IIRC. I got the impression that the cops were taking it pretty seriously.

Guest (BH)

Uh yeah. Been there done that (never in a harmful way of course).

We used to love these things in high school. Me and my buddies used to set these off in a big vacant lot near my house.

I guess kids these days can't just have fun with a little innocent mischief, they have to try to injure someone.

If I recall correctly, we used Sno Bowl instead of Drano. The directions that were relayed to me were: Pour some Sno Bowl into a Coke bottle, shred some aluminum foil and put in the bottle, screw on the lid, shake it up, and when it starts smoking; THROW IT!!!!!!!;)

If memory recalls there's something far more potent than drano you can use and it's in the cleaner section at your local wally to this day AFAIK. Also, the receipe we used involved a lil bit of GP . There are certain things you can do to delay the chemical reaction but I don't know that you can neccesarily "boobie trap" it so that it lays in wait for some unsuspecting person to move it. Besides that the ones we built were for shock and awe and came out of R&D in our high school science lab. Sad to see what kids today are doing with them.