Flood Damaged Ammo

Guest HvyMtl

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you notice at the end of the article it said to tell them if it was flood damaged or just extra?

Another reason I think I am going to store my extra ammo in vacuum sealed bags. Easier to be safe than sorry...

Mark

Did you notice at the end of the article it said to tell them if it was flood damaged or just extra?

Another reason I think I am going to store my extra ammo in vacuum sealed bags. Easier to be safe than sorry...

Mark

why not just use sealed ammo cans. Isn't that what they were designed for?

Guest HvyMtl

In some cases, ammo is compromised from being in filthy water for a few days...

And in some cases, people do not know what to do with water logged ammo.

So, this is a safe way for them to dispose of it.

Please do post how to safely clean, dry and restore affected ammo...

Anyone in the South East Davidson County area wanting to get rid of 45 or 7.62x54r ammo, pm me.

Guest hickok45

I just saw the last part of a report that encouraged anybody who has flood damaged ammunition to bring it to the police department in Franklin for "proper disposal."

If you have a substantial amount of ammunition that was in flood water, please contact me here. I'm happy to take it off your hands and "dispose" of it properly for you. I can "dispose" of it under controlled conditions and put it to good use.

Thanks,

Greg

About the only ammo I would worry about would be rimfire. Even rimfire may not be bad depending on how it got wet.

I have tons of loaded rimfire ammunition that has fallen through the cracks under my porch. One day I went under there and grabbed as many as I could find. Most have been there for 2+ years. I loaded them and better than 75% fired. It gets wet under there regularly, not stading water wets but definitely not anywhere close to being dry.

Centerfire I would not worry about unless it sat under water for a very, very long time. The floods in Nashville wouldn't have been long enough for me to worry about centerfire ammunition.

Dolomite

Guest Straight Shooter

To DRY water logged ammo...just put it on a big pizza pan in the oven for about 25 minutes on 350-400 degrees. THATLL DO IT!!!

{um..just jokin...for you knuckeheads out there..}

Guest TargetShooter84
To DRY water logged ammo...just put it on a big pizza pan in the oven for about 25 minutes on 350-400 degrees. THATLL DO IT!!!

Hmm...that's a good idea....I'll need to try this since my ammo fell into the lake edge one time and I was able to scoop it out...

thanks! ;)

Like several others here, I have a couple thousand rounds of assorted calibers that were under water for a period of time til I could get back into the house and move it.

38/357/40/41AE/ and about a thousand rounds of Ranger 9mm. All of it has discoloration on the casings and the 38/357 are lead nose blazer ammo and have tarnished and have fuzzy white oxidation (?) on the lead nose. I've been using a dremel and polishing tool to clean all of them up. I really hate to loose any ammo these days, but as previously said, I'll use them for range only.

Also have a new respect fo the swabbies out there. My father in law brought me some large 30/50 cal cans for storage now. When you fill those, they are really heavy. I put about 2500 rounds of 45 in one, closed the lid, and tried to pick it up. Thought twice about. Then called for help. A two man job.

Anyway, if anyone has any special cleaning tips, I would like to hear them. Thanks.

Guest hickok45

I think I'm in the Twilight Zone or something. I started the first thread on this subject, I thought. Now, my comments are just a part of a newer thread. Oh well.

Anyway, I did some pretty extensive testing about 15 years ago, soaking ammunition in oil, water, cleaning lubes, etc. I had intended to write an article and submit it to one of the gun rags.

It didn't matter what I soaked it in, generally; it all still worked fine. Modern ammo, especially carry ammo, is sealed really well.