I was humbled at the range today

No kidding...if he is hitting the actual 1.5" golf at 45 yards freehand he would have place top 5 in last weeks silhouette competition at my local club...and they were using custom built CZ target rifles!

Were you guys trying to hit the milk jugs and using the golf balls as an indicator as a hit or were you guys actually hitting the actual golf balls?

Either way that is really good shooting!

Just to clarify. The distance was 35, 45 YARDS, not FEET?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What he said! I might be hard pressed to hit them at 45 feet with a subcompact!

Of course I just blame my eyesight.....

Hey! That's my excuse...er, reason for missing the 10 ring. Really though, I know a lot of us are getting to where we can see the rear sight, front sight, or the target clearly. But sometimes not any two or three of them together anymore. And that really is crappy.

Guest Jamie
Coat his balls in superglue.

You're trying to get the boy shot, aren't you?

Besides, I doubt even an old man would stand still for that... :poop:

J.

Guest Plainsman

Not too long ago I shot with a good friend of mine who was in SF. We were playing HORSE and the first shot was shooting at a plum set up in the middle of the target at about 18-20 yards. I was shooting my G17 while he had his 92fs. I shot first, about an inch left, inch high. He shoots and the plum explodes. I knew from that point that I was about to lose that game, which I did. I didn't even get the chance to get a letter on him.

Open your ears and soak up everything they have to offer. Ask basic questions. Then as already stated, practice x3. Fortunately for them, they have their ammo provided!

Golf balls at 45 yds, wow! I think I could hit the milk jug at that range fairly regularly, but to pick the golf ball off the top... that's very, very impressive.

If he seems the type that would be a good instructor, offer to cover his ammo costs for some lessons.

I also like the advice above in using a small portion of a big target for practice. I try to do that when I go to the range using the standard sillouette. Shoot the X out. Once it's big enough that you can't tell where the bullets hit, then shoot out the #7 at all 4 clock positions (12, 3, 6 ,9). Then give it a smiley face. That gives you 6 targets a couple inches across for 6 different distances w/o having to change paper.

Guest mustangdave

Parrothead...the best advise I can give you, is to sit at the feet of the MASTER and soak up all his knowledge. Your youth is your undoing...yes practice will help you improve...absolutely. Take this humbling experience and use it as a teaching moment...not as a challenge to your manly skills. If you let your ego get in the way your boss will hand you your ass in brass every time.

As a 23 year old, it shlould be pretty easy for you to get a video of these golf ball shots and post it on youtube. I'd love to see it.

I enjoy the tv show Impossible Shots. Watching people but a bullet though the hole in a washer thrown in the air (in super slow motion) is always cool...

Guest FiddleDog

+1 Mustang. If the man is up for spending some 1 on 1 time, then he's all but offered himself as a resource to help you get to where he is.

Just to clarify. The distance was 35, 45 YARDS, not FEET?

Yeah....thinking about it more that would have got in the top 3 at the 1800 Bullseye competition also if he could have done the same at 50 yards. And those guys are hard core!!!!! Most pistols can not even group 1.5" at 50 yards - not even close.

Not too long ago I shot with a good friend of mine who was in SF. We were playing HORSE and the first shot was shooting at a plum set up in the middle of the target at about 18-20 yards. I was shooting my G17 while he had his 92fs. I shot first, about an inch left, inch high. He shoots and the plum explodes. I knew from that point that I was about to lose that game, which I did. I didn't even get the chance to get a letter on him.

Open your ears and soak up everything they have to offer. Ask basic questions. Then as already stated, practice x3. Fortunately for them, they have their ammo provided!

heheheh, Your response reminded me of when I was a unit armorer for a personnel service company (a bunch of clerks.)

The only thing I did all day for a year was to maintain weapons that went to the firing range ONCE a year and go to the range.

at the end of my first fiscal year in that unit the SGM called me into his office and asked me why there was a 32,000 dollar bill from the known distance range for ammo allotment. I told him I had no idea! he said their budget only allowed for 25,000 for the Battalion and why did I need to shoot so many rounds? I confessed to him that I didn't want to be pulled for some supply job so I just took 5 rifles out to the range and test fired them all day, when I didn't have scheduled maintenance on them and reminded him that I was an 11 series (infantryman) in a personnel unit which had NO T.O.E requirements for an 11 series.

He told me "don't do that anymore", and gave me a 1000 dollar allotment for the next year.

I dodged the bullet on that one..and didn't take me long to get out of that unit and back into a unit that spent time on the range...a line company.

Don't think it has been mentioned but if you don't have a decent .22 pistol it is a damn good investment. Have it mimic your "regular" gun(s) as much as possible and it can help more. I got an AA Conversion for my G20 and it's great. Other than being lighter (aluminum slide) everything else is exactly the same. Same sights/trigger pull/etc and I can shoot the crap out of it cheaply. My normal range routine is to show up and shoot at least 100rds of .22 and then whatever feels good for the 10mm. It's been a good system for me.

You will learn more about being humble as you get older. I had a shooting lesson from a 19 year old kid last week. I went from shooting 4 inch groups to shooting 2 inch groups. That kid can sure shoot.

You will learn more about being humble as you get older. I had a shooting lesson from a 19 year old kid last week. I went from shooting 4 inch groups to shooting 2 inch groups. That kid can sure shoot.

+1. A wise man once said that the surest way to humility is through humiliation.

My dad has a Beretta Bobcat in.22 I cannot hit anything with it at any substantial distance (dad always likes to shoot his pistols from the 25 yd line at the rifle range )when he went up to the club house to use the restroom while he was gone I put about 50 rds downrange at a clay pigeon on the target board never hit it. he came back shot it first time then Turned the pieces into dust with it . That my friend was lesson in total humility. I can shoot all day long pretty well with my ruger .22 MKIII but couldnt hit the broadside of the proverbial barn with that bobcat.

Guest friesepferd

he is older and more experianced than you and still shoots. you will never be better than him. exept that fact, keep practicing, and when you are older you can challege the younger shooters and beat them.

Guest peacexxl

I am 38 now but I learned long ago that it is better to be humble than to be humbled. It gets you much more respect.

I love when a guy wet behind the ears and still pooping yellow doubts an old fart strictly based on age.

Yoda was an old fart but he was one of the baddest of the Jedi right up until his death, and you soon are NOT Luke Skywalker.