Latest Class III: Guesses on Wait Time

Last year the NFA branch processed 1,135,867 (1.1 MILLION) NFA firearms in total. Of that 5,477 were self builds on Form 1's and 33,816 transfers of existing NFA items. Now divide that by the number of examiners there are and I say that we are doing pretty good. I would expect years delays like a few decades ago.

And by the way our state, Tennessee, has 65,524 NFA items as of March 2012. California has the most registerd NFA items with 268,479.

Last year the NFA branch processed 1,135,867 (1.1 MILLION) NFA firearms in total. Of that 5,477 were self builds on Form 1's and 33,816 transfers of existing NFA items. Now divide that by the number of examiners there are and I say that we are doing pretty good. I would expect years delays like a few decades ago.

And by the way our state, Tennessee, has 65,524 NFA items as of March 2012. California has the most registerd NFA items with 268,479.

Where did you get that information? I am wondering what the numbers are for Arkansas. I know we only have one examiner for the entire state now.

I'm about to send off another form 4 for a Gemtech Outback IId. I figured I needed a .22 suppressor to compliment the .45 can. Also I wanted to send it off before the wait times become a year or more, haha.

Anyone have experience with the outback line from Gemtech? It is now user serviceable (which was a must for me) and is super light.

Using those numbers, each examiner is processing around 80 PAID forms per week. That doesn't include Form 5 or Form 3 transfers, tax exempt Form 1's, etc.

And then there are the 5320.20's.

I think the people that believe that there is some kinda conspiracy to slow things down should look at those numbers.

The system is just currently flawed.

They could speed up the process tremendously with more examiners (won't happen because of the hiring freeze), digital application system like NICS, etc. They aren't intentionally slowing things down, they are just stuck in the dark ages.

Where did you get that information? I am wondering what the numbers are for Arkansas. I know we only have one examiner for the entire state now.

I'm about to send off another form 4 for a Gemtech Outback IId. I figured I needed a .22 suppressor to compliment the .45 can. Also I wanted to send it off before the wait times become a year or more, haha.

Anyone have experience with the outback line from Gemtech? It is now user serviceable (which was a must for me) and is super light.

Arkansas numbers as of March 2012.

AOW: 591

DD: 41,962

MG: 4,827

SILENCER: 7,218

SBR: 1,091

SBS: 1,017

FFL's: 1,812

The Stainless Sparrow is the easiest to clean which should be a big consideration with a 22. They do have a first round pop but gel can mitigate that some. I have a friend who has a Outback and it is quiet and lightweight.

Dolomite

Arkansas numbers as of March 2012.

AOW: 591

DD: 41,962

MG: 4,827

SILENCER: 7,218

SBR: 1,091

SBS: 1,017

FFL's: 1,812

The Stainless Sparrow is the easiest to clean which should be a big consideration with a 22. They do have a first round pop but gel can mitigate that some. I have a friend who has a Outback and it is quiet and lightweight.

Dolomite

Ok, thank you. Yes I've read that the sparrow is the "best" to get but noone around here is a dealer for silencerco. The only other options I had were some YHM products. Everything I have read rates the Outback quite a bit above the YHM line. The only thing I don't like is that it is rated for .22lr only. I dont own a .17 or .22 mag but it would be nice to be able to use it on one should I purchase one in the future.

Ok, thank you. Yes I've read that the sparrow is the "best" to get but noone around here is a dealer for silencerco. The only other options I had were some YHM products. Everything I have read rates the Outback quite a bit above the YHM line. The only thing I don't like is that it is rated for .22lr only. I dont own a .17 or .22 mag but it would be nice to be able to use it on one should I purchase one in the future.

You do not need a stocking dealer or a dealer that is a silencerco affiliate. You just need a dealer that can accept the silencer. You pay for the silencer than have it transferred in just like a firearm. Once it is at the dealer then you need to do the paperwork to get approved.

I was going to buy an Elite Iron suppressor and called them. They said they could take a credit card over the phone for the silencer I wanted. Then they would transfer it to the dealer of my choice.

In the end I just made my own. It is a better performing silencer than most you can buy.

Dolomite

You do not need a stocking dealer or a dealer that is a silencerco affiliate. You just need a dealer that can accept the silencer. You pay for the silencer than have it transferred in just like a firearm. Once it is at the dealer then you need to do the paperwork to get approved.

I was going to buy an Elite Iron suppressor and called them. They said they could take a credit card over the phone for the silencer I wanted. Then they would transfer it to the dealer of my choice.

In the end I just made my own. It is a better performing silencer than most you can buy.

Dolomite

Yes, but my dealer charges $100 for NFA transfers + about $500 for the sparrow + stamp....$800 for a .22 suppressor did not appeal to me. I got the Outback for 325 + stamp. I feel like it was the best performer for the price at my local dealer.

Edit-I wish I had the tooling to produce one of my own. Do you mind posting a pic of yours? I would like to see it.

Edited by samson7x

There are some great threads about how to build a freeze plug suppressor on Silencer Talk. BTW been pending since Oct 31. I was expecting to get the call from my FFL this week. Maby next week. Another thing, I mailed a form 4 on 3/12/12 and the ATF has not cashed the check yet. Any ideas?

There are some great threads about how to build a freeze plug suppressor on Silencer Talk. BTW been pending since Oct 31. I was expecting to get the call from my FFL this week. Maby next week. Another thing, I mailed a form 4 on 3/12/12 and the ATF has not cashed the check yet. Any ideas?

Not sure. I mailed mine last Tuesday and they cashed the check yesterday. But calling isn't going to help. Did you ship it with delivery confirmation or anything? It could be still in the mail.

My FFL sends all the paperwork off and they assured me that they had. They have done transferes for me before and they went thru fine. In fact they are one of the sponsors of this forum. As for the freeze plug suppressor I thought the poster was talking about a 22 can. I would think it would be durable and easy to construct but would not make one for a larger caliber weapon.

Well still no record of the suppressor so I'll have to resubmit all my paperwork. The good news is my other form 4 was approved May 1. This has been the longest 185 days of my life. Pending Oct 31 Examiner Pickles. Now just waiting on the USPS. Great.

Guest 556or762

Woo Hoo! I got some paperwork back finally. ATF form 1 for SBR - LEO= 3/30/11, sent 9-24-11, pending= 10-19-11, approved 4-24-12, received 5-2-12. ATF form 4 for Suppressor - LEO 9-15-11, sent 9-24-11, pending 10-25-11, approved 4-19-12, received 5-2-12. I wondered how long this would last and I guess it wasnt that bad but I still dont think it takes that long for a background check. I was actually approved for a DOD Common Access Card for overseas installations faster! I guess this ones over now to go buy another suppressor and build an AK in SBR format and do it all over again.

-

Another 6 months to the day....

I call BS that there is no intentional delay built in the system

They are overwhelmed. They are not just sitting on paperwork just to create a delay. It is a money making endeavor for them so the quicker they can do it the better they are. Complain enough and some well to do legislator may try to remove the whole process because it is inefficient and costly. I would be willing to bet the government is not even breaking even. Best to not complain too loud.

Look at my previous post from a few pages ago. I spoke to one of the big wigs up there and they are short staffed but working as fast as they can. There have been several retire and they are not allowed to hire any replacements.

Another thing to consider is the $200 stamp has not increased since 1934. Imagine if it had increased based on cost of living increases. The $200 represented roughly 1/7th of the annual income in 1934. In 2008's economy 1/7th would be approximately $7,500.

So I wouldn't complain too much about the time frame. It could be worse. They could be charging a lot more which would no doubt reduce the time frame. Personally I would like to pay $200 and have a 6 month wait than a 2 week wait and have to pay thousands. So soon we forget, back in the 80's getting your approval back in 12 months was considered extremely quick.

Dolomite

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sammopar

They are overwhelmed. They are not just sitting on paperwork just to create a delay. It is a money making endeavor for them so the quicker they can do it the better they are. Complain enough and some well to do legislator may try to remove the whole process because it is inefficient and costly. I would be willing to bet the government is not even breaking even. Best to not complain too loud.

Look at my previous post from a few pages ago. I spoke to one of the big wigs up there and they are short staffed but working as fast as they can. There have been several retire and they are not allowed to hire any replacements.

Another thing to consider is the $200 stamp has not increased since 1934. Imagine if it had increased based on cost of living increases. The $200 represented roughly 1/7th of the annual income in 1934. In 2008's economy 1/7th would be approximately $7,500.

So I wouldn't complain too much about the time frame. It could be worse. They could be charging a lot more which would no doubt reduce the time frame. Personally I would like to pay $200 and have a 6 month wait than a 2 week wait and have to pay thousands. So soon we forget, back in the 80's getting your approval back in 12 months was considered extremely quick.

Dolomite

You must be a goverment employee.....

I wasn't going to say anything but that comment pushed my buttons.

The government works for you and me- they do not exist for us to be servile.

The $200 stamp was designed to make these Nfa weapons so cost prohibitive that they would not be accessible to the average person. This tax was needed because they could not just prohibit the weapons outright due to the 2nd amendment. As inflation marches along the cost impact of $200 is surely lessened, but I should not be "happy" that it was never increased by the beneficient government. I understand the notion of "let sleeping dogs lie" but that doesn't mean I have to be happy about deliberately poor government service

Edited by Hershmeister

My comment has nothing to do with the price of the stamp. I'm tired of hearing people say that they are deliberately holding applications just because a few came back in exactly 6 months. Its garbage. And so Dolomite used research, logic and common sense to explain it to the guy and the fella calls Dolomite a government employee. He is apparently allergic to reason.

I am about as far from govt employee as one could get.

It just so happens someone at the ATF gave me his information and told me to call anytime. So anytime I hear a rumor that doesn't make sense I call him.

I also write letters for clarification all the time or used to and guess what, I still have my dogs and they are still breathing.

Dolomite

You miss my point - the ATF is deliberately not staffing up to meet the demand - thus they are responsible for the delays. It's quite curious that 6 months is the magic number but it can easily be made faster with more staff. Let's be honest - you don't need to be a highly paid and trained gov employer to a background check and stick a stamp in a paper- TICS does it for $10 in minutes