Latest Class III: Guesses on Wait Time

Guest SpicyMchaggis

Current NFA Form-4 lead time is 5~6 months. Form-3's are taking about a month and a half. They are extremely backlogged. This is according to the ATF today 12/6.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SpicyMchaggis

They are usually dead on. I just cleared two Form 4's from late June. If anything, the new process is slowing them down. Granted, they are at an all time high for submission.

• 1 month later...
Guest 556or762

I have checked on my Form 1 and Form 4 last week I mailed them in late september they were received 9-29-11 I sent USPS money orders so no check cashing date. The Form 1 went pending oct 19th the Form 4 went pending oct 24th, still not approved. I was really hoping they would be back fast like my last form 4, it took 3 months almost to the day I've been informed that is unheard of so I guess I just got lucky.

Guest 556or762
and now if you live in TN we all get Albert Lamberger luckily! if he is still fast that is. { ATF Open Letter }

just got word my stamp is in @ great outdoor store. pending 6-27, barely under the 5 month window, good job Chris Farris!

I have Dana Pickles doing mine and I live in TN, I would love to say I think they would add jobs to make this work better and go faster but I just dont see it happening with the govornment we have right now.

If you have something to get processed, now is the time.

Looks like the requirement for CLEO sign off will be eliminated soon, which will open the flood gates for all those people who couldn't get a signature and didn't want to go the trust route.

5 to 6 month delay, as it is now, will seem pretty fast.

If you have something to get processed, now is the time.

Looks like the requirement for CLEO sign off will be eliminated soon, which will open the flood gates for all those people who couldn't get a signature and didn't want to go the trust route.

5 to 6 month delay, as it is now, will seem pretty fast.

Where are you seeing the Cleo removal being discussed?

Unless you get someone fairly high up in BATFE's hierarchy, probabaly the most knowledgeable at this time would be the folks at the National Firearms Act Trade & Collectors Association:

NFATCA

Although a lot of guys here on the forum don't like them, NFATCA was the predominate force behind this pending change.

I'll make a call today to get the poop on this.

I have been needing to call for clarification on a few projects I have on the back burner.

Dolomite

I called about the CLEO signature issue today.

It is pure rumor.

The rumor was started by a group. They had discussed and were going to request it but as of right now it is pure rumor. It hasn't even been sent as a formal request, only discussions among group members.

The person also said the wait times are running 5-6 months right now. Not because of any additional applications but because their department has had a substantial number of people retire. And with the cutbacks within the ATF they are not hiring replacements for those who have retired. The person also said because of some process changes internally there is a little bit of a lag getting people up to speed.

I asked about hiring additional examiners and the person said the hiring process for them would have needed to be started about 5 years ago. The person said there are no plans to hire any additional examiners.

He asked for my help in getting our representatives to approve more funding for them.

Dolomite

Personally I like the CLEO signature requirement. If they do away with it you are going to see 1-2 year wait times.

Everyone I know is getting them back in about 5 months, no changes to that timeline for a while. On the other hand, 5320.20s are getting approved faster than ever.

Well I just threw a wrench in that for you. Mailed my form 1 in August. January would have been 5 months.