What barrell length?

Guest abailey362

Guest abailey362

Guys, I'm thinking about getting a 1911 for a ccw (IWB) and was wondering what the pros and cons of the 3", 4", and 5" barrells are.

How is the 3" shooting? I fondled a nice Kimber Ultra Compact II tonight at On Target and really liked the feel and weight of it, but don't want to go too short.

I know ultimately it's up to me, but I wanted to get opinions from the group.

I will also use it a decent amount at the range, so I'd like it to be comfortable for firing multiple rounds.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Barrel / slide length have very little impact on IWB comfort with a 1911 unless you go for a true long-slide version. That said, I'd still recommend a Commander length (Pro Carry) version instead of the Ultra Carry. Better accuracy and you'll likely have better reliability out of the longer slide version than a shorter slide version.

i carry a full size 1911 IWB, and prefer the sight radius of the 5 inch slide. i dont think you could go wrong with the full size or 4 inch, but as stated above reliability may be a problem with the 3 inch compacts.

Well you start with a full size steel or stainless 1911 and everything is a trade off from there. Obviously a full size 1911 is big and heavy for concealed carry; but then that is not what they were designed for. You trade off accuracy as you shorten the barrel and you trade off controllability as you lighten the frame.

Now having said that… accuracy should not be a real big issue (Assuming a quality 1911) as you should not be using sights on your carry weapon and you will be shooting at very short distances. Controllability is a big issue. If you can’t come back on target quickly and accurately for that second round; pick something else.

Guest 270win

I can shoot a 4 or 5 inch 1911 better than i can my own Glock 19 9mm (it has a 4 inch barrel). I think it is because of the crisper trigger and thin single stack grip. You can't go wrong with a 1911.

Guest bkelm18

The 1911 is a good gun if you leave it the way it was designed. The further you get from that, the more problems you're going to have. You're probably not going to get much trouble out of a 4" but from what I've seen the 3" seems to have a lot of issues.

Guest triggertime
Barrel / slide length have very little impact on IWB comfort with a 1911 unless you go for a true long-slide version.

Actually, when it comes to IWB carry, barrel/slide length and

comfort is entirely dependent upon the individual and the

position that the gun is carried. Holster design plays a part too.

You can aggravate the sciatic nerve quite easily if you don't

choose the proper barrel/slide length, position and holster

design.

Unfortunately, this requires experimention and trial and error.

Guest abailey362

Does anyone know of a shop that would

A) have both the 3" and 4" in stock

:rofl: have decent IWB holsters for both

C) let me try em both on and walk around the shop for a while with each.

I haven't found anywhere yet that has both in stock at the same time :woohoo:

:rofl: have decent IWB holsters for both

I haven't found anywhere yet that has both in stock at the same time :woohoo:

Hero Gear has a largest selection of 1911s I am aware of within driving distance. Joe & Dan are top notch in accomodating their customers.

1-877-962-HERO (4376)

Guest EasilyObsessed

:D have decent IWB holsters for both

I haven't found anywhere yet that has both in stock at the same time :)

+2 On Hero Gear.

• 8 months later...
Guest B J Elliott

MY .02 is that the shorter the barrel, the less the acuracy, if carrying is a problem for you with a longer barrel, I use a simple, cheap fanny pack that I carry just under the ole belly with a shirt long enough to conceal it. Works for me! BJ

To each his own but I have a Para Warthog that is extremely reliable and more accurate than I would have ever thought from a 3" barrel. There is a small issue with muzzle flip but a .45 is kind of a cure for a double tap anyway, right. I find the Defender size to be very concealable and the Warthog holds 10 +1! I have this gun for trade in the other forum but that's only because I normally wear dress slacks and a tie. (no jacket) The best thing I can conceal is my P3AT. I'm wanting to trade it for a nightstand gun.

Guest Todd@CIS

I like Commander length 1911s...I shoot them better than fullsized guns. I've owned 3 different Series 1 Kimber ProCarrys that were 100% reliable. I wouldn't go shorter than a 4" 1911.

You might also look at Springfield's fullsized LightWeight...I had one and it was a great shooter.

To each his own but I have a Para Warthog that is extremely reliable and more accurate than I would have ever thought from a 3" barrel. There is a small issue with muzzle flip but a .45 is kind of a cure for a double tap anyway, right. I find the Defender size to be very concealable and the Warthog holds 10 +1! I have this gun for trade in the other forum but that's only because I normally wear dress slacks and a tie. (no jacket) The best thing I can conceal is my P3AT. I'm wanting to trade it for a nightstand gun.

Not sure if you have tried or your build but you might consider the CTAC or MTAC for IWB carry. I carry a XD40 service (4" barrel), all day, every day, wearing a shirt and tie, no jacket. Once I upgrade to the Velcro clips, you will see nothing.

beltlh5.jpg

There is some consensus for "not" having anything shorter than a 4.25 barrel in a 1911 style pistol. It was designed with a 5" , and performs at its best in that configuration. Now that does not go for poly pistols, only Browning designed pistols. Internals are different and things like ramp angle, velocity ;):blah:. Anyway Thats what alot of very intelligent people say

Not sure if you have tried or your build but you might consider the CTAC or MTAC for IWB carry. I carry a XD40 service (4" barrel), all day, every day, wearing a shirt and tie, no jacket. Once I upgrade to the Velcro clips, you will see nothing.

beltlh5.jpg

nice setup