Guns & Ammo, Memphis

Most likely the no tax for cash had to do with saving credit card fees. The amount paid in tax could have been within just a few percent of what they lost in tax that it was a way to create an incentive for people to make their purchases there. Much like the way truck stops offer a discounted price on diesel for cash purchases.

Yep, I asked them about it one time and that's the reason they gave me. But fear not, you were still paying the tax, they just worked it into the sales price. That's why many folks ended up going elsewhere and buying the same gun cheaper or for the same price after tax.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know some littlin's are allowed at RUSA, right?

Yeah, but I took her with me one day to pick up a gun I transferred in. We were there maybe 15 minutes and she was all over the place and into everything. She'll definitely be going back and to the range with me - when she's a bit older. :tinfoil:

:koolaid:I wish that Range USA had a bigger selection, because those guys make you feel like a platinum club member when you visit them. I shoot there, I have trained there and done a weapons transfer and they have always been great. Hell, even the other customers treat you well. :tinfoil:

Guest Knightsr25

I have purchased over 300 guns from Guns & Ammo on summer ave. I was always treated well, even as well as judge Joe Brown. Richard actually runs the store now although Burt owns it. They always had the best prices and selection when I was there. I recommend them to everyone. Thankfully I left Memphis 10 years ago,but still buy a few every now and then.

i have never had a bad experience at g&a

one thing i find crazy though is they have a beef with the beratta/benelli group they will not buy anymore of those

i believe g&a on summer ave sell more pistols than any single store in tennessee and you will not be able to get a berreta there

Where did this info come from? I purchased the gun below from them back in January.

M9.jpg

• 1 year later...
Guest RichieRich
:koolaid:I wish that Range USA had a bigger selection, because those guys make you feel like a platinum club member when you visit them. I shoot there, I have trained there and done a weapons transfer and they have always been great. Hell, even the other customers treat you well. :lol:

How true.

I had never fired a gun in my life until I took a class at Range USA (I grew up in Philadelphia, which is pretty close to Chicago and DC with regard to gun rights). I've taken over a half dozen classes there since, and bought as many guns, and have always been made to feel like a valuable customer, and never like a dumb a&& (even though I was with some of my questions!).

It sure would be nice if they carried a bigger inventory in their case. I've made two purchases of new guns in the glass just on a whim, and suspect they'd move a lot more volume if they embellished their inventory.

I've bought several guns at G&A on Summer and I've personally never had any problems. The staff has always been courteous and friendly, but very businesslike. If you're not ready to be helped when they ask you, be prepared to wait a while as they help other customers. I think the main issue is that they are very busy, so not everyone can get the red-carpet treatment just due to the staff-to-customer ratio.

If you want a shop with really friendly staff, then Arms-Fair out in Cordova is a great place. Problem is that their in-store selection can be somewhat limited, and their prices are a bit higher. However, they are a GunGenie dealer so anything you want to order from Davidson's will be there the next day for you to pick up.

Classic Arms, which is a little further north off Germantown Rd near Corky's Barbecue, is another nice little shop with friendly staff. Again, limited selection but competitive prices and also a GunGenie dealer.

The G&A in Southaven, MS just across the state line seems friendlier because they are ususally less busy. Downside is their prices are a little higher on identical guns compared to the Summer Ave store, and you can't take the gun home with you that day if you live in TN. However, they will transfer it to the Summer store at no charge for you to pick up there the next day.

People have already talked about how nice the folks are at Range USA, and I agree, but they usually have a very limited selection of guns for sale in stock, and their prices are a bit high on the ones they do have.

Guest bnoland

The thing that made me mad about them more than there attitude is there poor assistance to those who don't know guns very well. They sold my mom a POS Kel-tech and told her how great a gun it was. She bought it new and the rear sight was missing! I took it out to shoot it, it's a 9mm. My hand was hurting from only a few rounds. 75 out of the first 100 rounds hung on the slide causing a malfunction. Had my mom been in the situation were she needed the gun to save her, she would have been dead.The times I have gone in there I knew what I knew what I was looking for. Both those experiences I would say were pretty good but I really didn't ask many question other than do you have this with these options. When the answer was yes then i said I wanted it and handed them my ID to get the process going. I had a friend i went with that picked up two mp15, one for him and one for his mom, a glock, and a Remington 870 tactical and needless to say it was like he was a God to them since he was dropping so much cash in there. They do seem better the last couple times I have been in there and i hope it continues. They typically have what I want but I am not going to give that much of my hard earned money to someone who treats me like i have seen some treated in there.

They sold my mom a POS Kel-tech and told her how great a gun it was. She bought it new and the rear sight was missing! I took it out to shoot it, it's a 9mm. My hand was hurting from only a few rounds.

How is it G&A's fault that a Kel-Tec hurt your hand?

I've driven by there a few times the past few weeks and noticed the parking lot has been almost empty. I stopped in one afternoon looking for a holster and the place was grave yard dead. Everyone was nice and pleasant, especially the guys over in the wheel gun section where I just happened to be shopping. It was a good experience and as the OP said, it was a nice change.

+1 on Arms Fair. They are good people and will work with you to help you find whatever you want. It's not a big shop, but they're growing. They've only been in business a few years and it just takes time. I highly recommend them if you're out that way.

Guest bnoland
How is it G&A's fault that a Kel-Tec hurt your hand?
My point is they sold my mom a pos gun and talked it up to her like it was Gods gift to earth. Technically none of the issues with the gun have anything to do with them but for them to talk this gun up and say how great it is and sell it to someone who doesn't know much if anything about firearms is not good customer service.
My point is they sold my mom a pos gun and talked it up to her like it was Gods gift to earth. Technically none of the issues with the gun have anything to do with them but for them to talk this gun up and say how great it is and sell it to someone who doesn't know much if anything about firearms is not good customer service.

I've been happy with my Kel-Tec.

Guest bnoland
I've been happy with my Kel-Tec.
Good for you, this one is a cheap pos excuse for a gun that would have gotten her killed had she needed it in a life or death situation. The point is NOT about the gun itself so much as the fact of how they handled the sale and treated a customer that has little knowledge about what they were buying.
Good for you, this one is a cheap pos excuse for a gun that would have gotten her killed had she needed it in a life or death situation. The point is NOT about the gun itself so much as the fact of how they handled the sale and treated a customer that has little knowledge about what they were buying.

Kel-Tecs are not top-of-the-line guns, but I wouldn't call a Kel-Tec a POS. Perhaps some operator error was at play.

Guest bnoland
Kel-Tecs are not top-of-the-line guns, but I wouldn't call a Kel-Tec a POS. Perhaps some operator error was at play.
Holy ****, give it a damn rest. I tell you what, if my mom still has that pos I will give it to you so you can get off to your damn Kel-Tec fetish. I am sure some of their guns are decent but this model is crap. It was not operator error. I looked into after if happened so much and I found a lot of issues out of that model. It was recommended to get the ramp cleaned up on the barrel but its not worth putting it into to a $250 gun.