Plastic Pistols losing a little popularity?

Guest Lester Weevils

Guest Lester Weevils

Maybe am seeing a pattern that doesn't exist, but a year or two ago I noticed that gun shops had mostly plastic pistols in the display cases, with very few metal pistols.

The plastic pistols are certainly lighter for carry purposes, but there were so many plastic pistols for sale, I thought maybe most folks nowadays just prefer plastic and so that was what the gun shops were selling. The customer is always right.

All the Beretta's were the new plastic models. Didn't see many 92's for sale.

Have had a 92FS Inox stainless for a long time and it is a favorite gun. Decided to get another 92FS Inox as a spare, since it didn't look like they were making them anymore. Get a spare 92FS if all that would be available into the future were blocky square plastic guns.

Then a few months ago, seems that gun stores had more good old metal pistols again. Lots of 1911's and such. Just about every store had at least one black 92 in the case. But no Inox.

Then tonite Sportsmans Warehouse actually had new Italian Inox 92FS in stock! Which I snapped up as the desired spare.

Just wondering if the pendulum is really swinging away from plastic back to metal pistols, or if it is just coincidence?

The new 92FS Inox has a "100th Anniversary" sticker on the box, so maybe Beretta is just cranking out a run of 92's because of that? Dunno.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Keinengel

I've always prefered metal to plastic. I'm not saying that just because a pistol has a polymer lower instead of an Aluminum or Steel lowet thats its of inferior quality but the way the feel in my hand just never really sat right. Then again i have absolutly no problem carrying a heavy handgun.

Guest Keinengel

I don't have any problems with my Beretta pulling my pants down tbh. I always wear my Army issued rigger belt even when im in civi clothes.

Guest Sgt. Joe

I am certainly no expert and can only offer a thought.

It seems that in the run-up to the election and the first year or so after more and more people were beginning to get into shooting and carrying for self defense than ever before. During those times the Polymer/plastic guns were highly popular because of the weight factor while carrying.

I think this also led to more and more manufacturers making guns smaller and smaller yet in higher calibers.

I am not sure and would love to see the actual numbers but I think the trend has at least leveled off although I am sure sales and permit apps are still pretty brisk.

In turn a lot of the people who a few years ago got their first guns are now realizing that the all metal and long proven designs are superior when it comes to recoil and overall endurance. So these people are beginning to want the all metal stuff all over again.

And then at least some, myself included took that initial "responsibility buy" and have turned the whole gun owning thing into a hobby type undertaking. Those people are going to want all the older classic designs which are mostly all metal. I say mostly thinking about the Glocks and their popularity and proven endurance. But given that, it could have re-kindled the market for the all metal guns.

Like I said I am just guessing but I have also noticed about the same thing at my store, in that at this time last year 90% of those under the glass was a polymer/plastic gun and today there are about the same amount of both on display.

Last year my store would have a half dozen 1911's and such on display, this year there are double that many and I have wondered like you....just why?

Maybe one or more of our actual dealers could shed some more light on this for us. I am really curious as to whether or not the sales and permit app. numbers are still growing at the same rate that they did last year or if they have leveled off a bit.

Handguns are certainly still flying off the shelves but I wonder just how much so, compared to last year and if there still is the type of increases we have seen over the past few years.

Is it that a lot of relatively new shooters are becoming hobbyists that is causing the return of the popularity of an all metal gun?

So there you have it..........I dont have a clue;)

Guest truthsayer

Honestly, I don't see it. Me and the most of people I know carry polymer 9s and 40s. I LOVE wheelguns, but it's hard to discount 14 rounds of .40 in a SD role

My preference would be Springfield 1911's and S&W revolvers...metal and wood, although I have had polymer guns, and technically still own one that my parents use, (and I would love to purchase an FNP 45 and an XDM 45...and maybe one of the new polymer Judges). I also like having the freedom to choose a different gun based on what I'm wearing or what I feel like each day. God has blessed me with several guns and I can take along a little one in my pocket or a big boy on my hip...just so many choices...B

Edited by Bassoneer

I jumped on the plastic a few years ago when I got back into pistols. I am devolving back to metal. There's nothing wrong with plastic but I just simply don't like the feel of the guns as you shoot them. As weird as it may sound to some they just seem to have a different resonance as they are shot. I know a lot of yall have grown up with them and probably don't even notice it or you think that's how a gun should feel. I'm chilly with that. Personally I like the FEEL of a 1911 when it shoots. I love the little P238 that I traded my Kahr P9 for. The Kahr was a good little gun but it just didn't call to me like the metal 1911 look and feel does. Cocked and locked rocks my world. I still keep a Springer XD next to the bed because it holds 13 +1 of .45 bang but it's like me, it's too fat. Even so it is usually underneath the Kimber Compact Custom or Ultra CDP II when I lays my little head down on my pillow...

Edited by Yikes!
Guest strelcevina

i just dont own a plastic gun. even in my Beretta 96fs i replaced plastic parts. so it is 100% metal.

and i do think plastic guns are reliable and accurate and some of them are superior to metal guns.

but to me that is like silicon boobs or fake hair.... it may appear to be better, but it is not better.

I haven't done any serious looking at a pistol counter in awhile because I have no self control :rolleyes:. If I take a hard look, something is going home with me.

I have a couple of plastic guns, but nothing above .380. One metal gun was bought before plastic was available, and the others were bought because I like DA/SA or SA actions with hammers.

I plan to buy a plastic pistol soon, probaby a G19. I'm not doing it because I'm unhappy with my metal guns. Still haven't shot one, so it will depend on how much I like it when I do.

Guest gw2and4

I love metal-framed pistols...as long as they're made of black polymer. :rolleyes:

It does seem that 1911s (and other "real" guns) are becoming more popular, perhaps due to the 100-year anniversary upcoming. Still no shortage of tupperware in the display cases, though. At least at the shops I've been in lately.

Guest Gillespk

I wonder if it is because polymers were new gears ago and demand was high since they were different. Stores probably stocked up since they were moving faster. Now they have been around a while and there are several to choose from, so the selection between polymer and steel has leveled out. Kinda like anything new, typically there is a bi surge initially and then it levels back out.

Guest Orionsic

Just wondering if the pendulum is really swinging away from plastic back to metal pistols, or if it is just coincidence?

I hope so. pow pow pee pow.

Lame..

Edited by Orionsic
Guest Lester Weevils

I'm not criticizing plastic guns as such. And do not have enough expertise to judge. If someone wants to carry with the least change in 'lifestyle' plastic guns seem to make a lot of sense. Light weight and thin-ness of some models.

Some folks report alternating between many carry guns. As Sgt Joe mentioned, maybe the average person settles on only one or two carry guns. Except for folks who tote full size pistols, a small carry gun isn't necessarily the ideal range recreational gun. So as folks get into hobby shooting, maybe they gravitate toward good shooters that are either non-ideal carry guns, all the way to outrageously impractical guns that are fun to shoot but have hardly any self-defense applications except perhaps in the case of SHTF, commie invasion, or zombie outbreak.

Old dudes may have a different perception of plastic. When I was growing up in the 1950's and 60's, if you wanted a durable tool, you would not typically buy a plastic tool. Plastics back then had advantages, but strength and durability were not among the advantages. Even though modern plastics have improved, old dudes might have the mindset that plastic items are flimsy.

I had a bad attitude on plastic guns til the last couple of years. Then got a plastic MSAR rifle which seemed built real strong and worked fine. Opened mind a little to plastic, and acquired another plastic rifle and a couple of plastic pistols which seem rugged enough.

But for recreational shooting, the old S&W 586 or Ruger Mark II or Beretta 92 get more use on the pistol range than plastic pistols. Maybe they really are not any more durable than plastic pistols, but give a 'feeling' that they will last a long time.

Judging from gun store stock, it seemed a couple of years ago that metal pistols were going the way of the dinosaur. Seems nowadays that metal pistols are getting more shelf space again. But it may just be coincidence.

Both! are popular with me. Metal, aluminum, polymer, nickel, chrome, I like em all. I like to have a liitle of each. Kind of like with long guns, I love real wood, I love the laminates, I love the synthetics. Some are done well and some are done poorly regardless of material.

Guest The Highlander

I'm a little different I guess, I have blued and wood S&W's, Rugers, and Colts to show my friends. But I have Glocks and SR9's to show my enemies.

I wasn't a Glock fan until my wife got one. I now carry a Glock of one flavor or another about 90% of the time, and I shoot Glocks competitively.

Oddly, I don't like shiny guns. I don't own a single stainless gun, with exceptions being those that are stainless, but have been blackened like the SR9.

I certainly applaud S&W bringing back their line of Classics, and I'd love to buy a few. But I haven't noticed much difference in what is on the gun pushers shelves.

The Highlander

I am beginning to rethink the lowly revolver. I carry a revolver now more than my Glock. You know what wheel gunners say about semi-auto owners. "Twice the ammo, half the man."

Well if you're confronted by multiple attackers hopefully you'll only have to shoot one or two of them and the rest will run. I'm not counting on that, though.