Dual Survival - Discovery Channel

Guest stmccann

Guest stmccann

Good day all -

Just wondered if anyone has any comments about 'Dual Survival' on the Discovery Channel.

Entertaining if nothing else.

In Liberty -

Sean

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SUNTZU
l learned a few things from the last show, but it seemed staged at times for safety reasons.

I honestly don't mind staged so long as I learn something. Man vs. Wild just teaches you how to die...quickly.

Yeah, I enjoyed the first episode. I haven't watched all of the second episode, though (it is available on Comcast's On Demand for those who are interested).

Cody's winter shelter was really good and the "ice anchor" in the second episode was interesting, although I don't ever see me using the ice anchor in Tennessee.

Guest goomba

I've gotten to see both episodes so far with 'on demand' its a good show. I've got one of Cody Lundin's books "when all hell breaks loose" he is very good at what he does.

what I like about the show is the opposing styles. and how they both work together to survive. and so far in both episodes they both had the guts to say, hey, you were right and I was wrong.

In the second episode cody gets dave to slow down, stop and think, double check then triple check what you are about to do, then check again.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest no_masters

I've seen a few episodes so far and I enjoy the show. I like both view points from cody and dave. the situations they have put them in so far have been quite interesting. I saw one where they started in a underwater cave in Belize with some scuba gear that was pretty good.

I like the show. Learn a little each time, but also "roll my eyes" at some of the staged drama on them. Oh-well, they gotta keep the ratings to stay on the air.

I like to see the alternate view points on the same situation.

I've watched three shows now, and every one it has been an issue that Cody refuses to wear shoes. Seems a bit silly and hardheaded to me. Otherwise, I am enjoying them. It's good to see some of their ingenuity on how they use stuff at hand.

The other thing that surprises me is that they show when they kill something for food. Not like some shows, where they show the cute little bunny hoping across the grass, then the next shot is some ambiguous meat cooking on a spit. I laughed out loud when Dave beat the heck out of the porcupine with a club. :rolleyes:

Guest jackdm3

I'm starting with episode "Failed Ascent" from June 24th. Anybody know if that's the first show?

Either way, we're "Diggin' Up Grubs!"

*Sorry about that, Randy.

Guest Jcochran88
I'm starting with episode "Failed Ascent" from June 24th. Anybody know if that's the first show?

No that is the 2nd show. The first was trapped on an island some where up north.

I really like the show but seriously dude put on some shoes!!

I've only caught the tail-end of one episode. I think I would like the show but can't keep up with when it comes on. If it is available on demand, then I will watch the episodes that way.

Bear Grylls can be entertaining to watch but even with as little as I know about survival concepts I sometimes end up saying, "What?" Like when he expends umpteen calories trying to catch something like a single grasshopper to eat (expending more energy to catch the critter than the critter will provide.) I also think he sometimes just wants to 'show off'. Maybe he is ex-special forces and has years of rock-climbing experience but I'm not and don't. Showing him climbing a sheer rock face (and risking injury or death) isn't going to help me one bit in a survival situation.

I liked Les Stroud (Survivorman) much better as I felt I could actually use/adapt some of his methods if I were ever in a survival situation. He didn't come across as some kind of superhuman the way Grylls is sometimes presented. I was a little disappointed when Survivorman ended but respect Stroud's apparent decision that he had done at least one show in pretty much every environment type so it was time to move on. I've been hoping there would be a similar show to take its place in my viewing lineup and maybe Dual Survival will be it.

doesnt even describe his accomplishments lol

here is what he has done

Bear Grylls - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yeah, see - that's what I'm saying. Having Grylls demonstrate survival to folks like me would be like having a contortionist demonstrate different positions for tying your shoes - interesting to watch, perhaps, but not much I can really use, myself.

The guys on Dual Survival are no doubt a lot more 'hard core' than me, as well but - at least in the Pathfinder videos he has done and that I have seen on YouTube - Dave Canterbury seems to have the same ability that Les Stroud has to explain survival concepts in a manner that is approachable and understandable by those of us who don't have nearly the knowledge and experience he has.

Guest Republican

I have seen all episodes from Man Vs Wild, Survivorman and DualSurvivor.

Learning to survive from watching Man vs Wild would be like learning to drive from watching The Dukes of Hazard. Bear has almost killed himself several times with his time saving stunts and very little information is obtained from this. I wouldnt consider most of stunts even if I was being chased by someone trying to kill me. It is however very entertaining, but so is the Dukes of Hazard. 2 stars.

Survivor Man is a great show in my opinion. Tons of information and realistic survival skills can be obtained from watching his show. I wish he was still making this show. Les constantly tells you weather conditions, his mood and body condition, and he is a little paranoid of danger and getting hurt as any of us would be. When I watch this show I almost feel like I am there with him and can relate to whats going on. 5 stars.

DualSurvivor rates in the middle of the two. I feel you can learn alot by watching this show, but I dont like the alpha male struggle and nagging constatly going on. I also think the no shoes thing is a little extreme and dont get me started on his ponytails. I do really like how they are concerned with each others condition, because they dont want to have to carry each other out of the wild at some point. They both seem to be good at the wilderness survival thing and capable of staing alive. 3 stars.