Chattanooga Trip

Guest BoltAction

Guest BoltAction

I'm planning a trip to Chattanooga for Thursday for me and the wife. We're mainly going to Ruby Falls and Rock City. Lived here my whole life and never been to either. Any other suggestions on things to see?

Also anyone know if these places are posted?

Thanks for the input.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What they said. I grew up in Chattown. Ruby Falls is neat. Rocky City? Meh.

If you like history stuff, Point Park (Lookout Mtn), Chickamauga Battlefield, Incline Railway, Choo Choo.

Speaking of the Choo Choo, dinner on the Dining Car is elegant and should score big points, if you wife's into that sort of thing. Otherwise, the Big River Grill about a block from the Aquarium is very good. Their micro-brews are excellent. Porkers BBQ on Market St. is also very good.

If you go to the Aquarium (highly recommended), go early or late to avoid the crowds. IMAX movies are a nice break from the heat, as is the Hunter Art Museum.

If you can get past the yuppies, then take a trip to the north shore area.

I love that section :)

Speaking of the Choo Choo, dinner on the Dining Car is elegant and should score big points, if you wife's into that sort of thing.

Not what I would call fine dining. They put the forth the effort ....it's just the food sucks :up:

One other dining suggestion is Terra Nostra on the north shore. It can be a little pricey but the food is great and if you like wine they usually have a great selection. Ask them for something not on the wine list as they usually pick up a few special items that are on sale for the week.

The menu is tappas style

have fun, Mark

Guest Lester Weevils

If you like walking, there is a pretty easy and pretty mile or two walk thru the woods from Point Park down to Cravens House (and back of course).

Its probably easier to find Point Park for car parking, than Cravens House, if you've never been to either one. But its also easy enough to park at Cravens House and walk up to Point Park. Cravens house contains a bunch of old antique furniture you can gander at, if ya'll like that kind of thing.

Cravens House

Point Park is not far from Ruby Falls and Rock City.

Down at the foot of Lookout Mountain is Reflection Riding. It is a pretty driving loop with a nature center. Maybe a little like a miniature Cades Cove.

Reflection Riding Arboretum & Botanical Gardens - Chattanooga Tennessee - Main Page

If you like walking, there is a pretty easy and pretty mile or two walk thru the woods from Point Park down to Cravens House (and back of course).

Its probably easier to find Point Park for car parking, than Cravens House, if you've never been to either one. But its also easy enough to park at Cravens House and walk up to Point Park. Cravens house contains a bunch of old antique furniture you can gander at, if ya'll like that kind of thing. ...

The trail up is steep but short. Worth noting is that Point Park, Craven's House etc. close at dusk. There isn't (wasn't) a sign stating this at the trail head. So if, by chance, you decide to park at Craven's House and hike up to Point Park to watch the sunset, then hike back down by the light of your cell phone.... expect to have a conversation with an unhappy park ranger. Not that I would know.

I have been to Craven House before. There is some sort of cemetery there IIRC. Took a pic of it and ended up with a slew of weird looking orb like objects floating around. Kind of creepy looking.

If you are into the Civil War at all there is a ton to see around Chattanooga. Point Park has been mentioned as well as Chickamauga, there also Missionary Ridge ( kind of off the beaten path but very historic) and an observation point on Signal Mtn. It's easy to have a Civil Wargasm around Chattanooga

• 3 months later...
Guest tnxdshooter
Check out the Civil War sites on Lookout Mountain...beautiful views of Chattanooga below.

That is actually in Georgia not chattanooga I just wanted to be clear on that so dude wouldnt get confused.

Guest tnxdshooter
X2

I like Point Park.

From the observatory atop look out mountain you can see three states. It is cool as far as the actual battlefields go I recommend chickamauga battle fields to check out the civil war deals. I love going there as I am a history buff.

Guest tnxdshooter
That is actually in Georgia not chattanooga I just wanted to be clear on that so dude wouldnt get confused.

Oh now I think you are meaning the observatory area there where the incline railway is? That is where the north came up look out mountain to attack supposedly. Look out mountain also goes onto the ga side is why I was wondering also.

Sorry to bump this out of history but I am thinking of taking a short trip up to there. Anyone stayed at the Chattanoogan hotel? Looks good from the pictures but I guess you can never tell until you stay there.

Never stayed there, but I have stayed at the Choo Choo. It was pretty nice. I can also recommend the Residence Inn on Chestnut. The last time we were there, they had a buffet every evening, free of charge, that included draft beer!!! One night would be Mexican, the next might be Italian, etc.

(re Lookout Mountain) It depends on what part of Lookout Mtn you are on. The state line goes right across it. There is town of Lookout Mtn, TN, with zip of 37350 and town of Lookout Mtn, GA, with zip of 30750.

Btw, Rock City is in GA.

- OS