Physical training.

I've been developing a bit of a spare tire over the last year or two. Too much beer and snacks, too many long hours, and too much loafing in the time I did get off.

Starting to walk more. I've been doing a 4-6 mile walk ending in a mile hike up the hill through the woods and back.

Also starting the p90x program. I had a friend give me the dvd set a while back. I started it before and got a few weeks in until work came with a boat load of overtime. I couldn't keep on with the program at the rate I was working so I quit. Now a few months later I am wanting to get in better shape. Work has slowed down some and I'm not working three jobs anymore.

Back to it. Wish me luck.

6'2" and 190lbs today looking to lose about 15-20 lbs.

-Mike

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good stuff. Always feels good to get back on the wagon. I'm a big believer in walking. Walking does wonders. Especially if you wear a pack.

P90x is a serious time commitment, so I understand how extra work can make it hard to get around to...

If you get busy again and dont have the hour required you could try implementing a crossfit-like workout using body weight only. Here are some real simple ones.

-10 push-ups, 10 air squats - 10 minutes as many rounds as possible. (AMRAP) You could also add 10 sit ups, too.

-21-15-9 of air squats and push ups for time.

-100 air squats. For time.

If you run:

Run 1/2 mile 50 air squats - 3 rounds.

AND if you have a pull up bar you can do my favorite crossfit workout:

Cindy

15 air squats

10 push ups

5 pull ups

As many rounds as possible for 20 minutes.

usually by round 3 im doing the pullups 1-2 at a time. It sucks but you will get your workout.

Edited by byrnemm

I don't know why everybody that wants to get in shape plays Xbox for 90 minutes or playstation90x or P90x or whatever the kids are calling it now a days.

Seriously I just started back again myself. For me the best thing is old school running although I hate it. The best time compressed workouts I have found have been jumping rope (boxer style not playgrond although double dutch is no joke), heavy bag work and if you have a training partner then switch on and off with focus mitts those can really smoke you.

Well good luck and stick with it.

Guest Plainsman

Just remember that if you commit yourself to do anything physically intensive for a three month period, you will see results. You don't necessarily need P90X to get the job done.I completed the "beginner" Navy Seal workout a while back and got crazy results. I had never been an avid swimmer but after that workout, I've got the sidestroke down and can go on and on in the water. Good luck with your efforts. Hope you really, really enjoy grilled chicken and tuna!

Guest goomba

got on my mtn bike yesterday. only about 3 miles, but it wore me out. I figure work on my diet, bike and walk and add some basic push ups and sit ups will start to get rid of my gut... diet is a key, and where I usually fail.

I've been doing 12 mile ruck marches twice a week, about 60 pounds of total weight, around Fort Knox.

It's done wonders, already lost 3 inches around the waist, though no weight loss.

I feel amazing for all that I've done, and it's showing.

I've been doing 12 mile ruck marches twice a week, about 60 pounds of total weight, around Fort Knox.

It's done wonders, already lost 3 inches around the waist, though no weight loss.

I feel amazing for all that I've done, and it's showing.

Been thinking about doing this again (hadn't done it since the military).

What times are you logging?

I got my EFMB 30 years ago. I didn't realize that the task had changed so much from medical. I was one of 12 out of 160 that went for it when 3rd ID was in Germany. It was my second attempt. I know people that have tried four times and gave up.

The road march was three hours then. That was with the old school backpack with tankers roll and buttpack.

Edited by R1100R

I never could do the P90X stuff. Working out at home is just too distracting for me. I always find something else to do besides workout. I have always tried to stay in shape and have worked out for years. I usually workout during lunchtime M-F (one body part a day for 30 minutes) and try to run three miles 3 - 4 times a week. Although I haven't ran in the past 5 weeks due to achilles tendon issues on my left heel (will be starting back tomorrow). I am certainly no example to follow this, but diet is the key. I just got lucky to be born with a fast metabolism.

Guest guardlobo

Walking is good.

Running is better if you can handle it.

Biking is fun, but you need several miles of that for every mile of running.

For the aerobic side of things, I would figure out max heart rate and plan my workout to reach a certain percentage of that. The percentage would vary from day to day. This allows you to maintain a safe level of exertion. Otherwise you may get your heart working too hard with an "easy" exercise and not catch it in time.