My Hi-Point project

Guest Caveman

Guest Caveman

I bought a Hi-Point 995 from a friend because he was selling it cheap and I figured it would be something to plink with. I hate the Hi-Point pistols, so I was a bit leery about the purchase, but after doing some research I decided it would be a fun toy. After I bought it, me being the accessory whore that I am, I ordered the ATI stock, rails and butt pad (it already had the flash suppressor on it) The original stock was too ugly to bare. I like the stock a lot, but it was a pain in the arse to install. I ran into to many problems. I had to take material off the new stock in several places, one of the factory bolts broke, the hardware that came with the rails wouldn't work with the carbine etc. After putting in many hours, I finally finished it last night. I slapped a Tru-Glo red dot on it and took it for a spin. Due to the fact that I took the entire carbine apart including the action, I figured it would blow up in my face, or at least not function properly. I ran 50 rounds through it flawlessly. I was very surprised not to have any malfunctions. Anyway, here it is in all it's glory.

Picture093.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Letereat!

Ive been thinking about getting one of these for my Nephews birthday present. His dad is a real louse, my sis finally ditched him after 10 years of BS. Any way they are cheap as dirt and look cool and i figure as long as its not gonna blow up in your face why not. It would have to stay with me of course (another bonus) until hes grown (will be 14 this Dec.) Whats the accuracy like at 50 and 100 yards?

For a cheap gun these are hard to beat. Mine still has the ugly stock because I haven't gotten back around to that project yet, but it's still loads of fun to shoot. I was looking into getting the ATI stock that you used until they came out with the 995ts model. Personally I like the looks of it more, and it's fairly inexpensive to just buy the stock. As far as I know the only issues I've heard about them are with the magazines, but after a couple thousand rounds I haven't noticed these issues with mine. Accuracy on mine has been excellent out to 50 yards, but that's really about the extent of my shooting with it. That does remind me that I need to take it along on my next trip to shoot my .22's since we've started pushing them out to the 100 yard mark.

For a cheap carbine to mess around with they're hard to beat.

Edited by MCSCOTT
Guest Caveman
Ive been thinking about getting one of these for my Nephews birthday present. His dad is a real louse, my sis finally ditched him after 10 years of BS. Any way they are cheap as dirt and look cool and i figure as long as its not gonna blow up in your face why not. It would have to stay with me of course (another bonus) until hes grown (will be 14 this Dec.) Whats the accuracy like at 50 and 100 yards?

They are cheap, but if you do any research you will find that they are reliable and accurate. This would be a perfect gift for your nephew. The ATI stock is durable, but very light and absorbs recoil well. I didn't test it at 100 yards, the range I have at my house is small, but after I sighted in the optic I was grouping within the nine ring at 50 yards (estimated yardage) Considering I had never fired the carbine before and it was getting dark at the time, I would say it is pretty accurate for what it is.

Guest Caveman
For a cheap gun these are hard to beat. Mine still has the ugly stock because I haven't gotten back around to that project yet, but it's still loads of fun to shoot. I was looking into getting the ATI stock that you used until they came out with the 999ts model. Personally I like the looks of it more, and it's fairly inexpensive to just buy the stock. As far as I know the only issues I've heard about them are with the magazines, but after a couple thousand rounds I haven't noticed these issues with mine. Accuracy on mine has been excellent out to 50 yards, but that's really about the extent of my shooting with it. That does remind me that I need to take it along on my next trip to shoot my .22's since we've started pushing them out to the 100 yard mark.

For a cheap carbine to mess around with they're hard to beat.

Are you referring to the 995 TS line? I like those too, much more accessory availability and looks tacticool. I had no plans to buy a HI-Point carbine at the time I bought this, and the deal I got was too good to pass up. If I was in the market for a new one though, I would definitely get a TS.

I've only ever handled the Hi-Point pistols and my only real problem with those is the bulkiness. As a buddy of mine puts it, "when you run out of ammo you still throw it at 'em and do just as much damage".

Whats the accuracy like at 50 and 100 yards?

My tacticool 995 shoots minute of paper plate at 50, 100 yards is maybe minute of sewer lid.

Cavey your carbine looks nice.

They are fun to shoot but would never be a go to weapon.

Are you referring to the 995 TS line? I like those too, much more accessory availability and looks tacticool. I had no plans to buy a HI-Point carbine at the time I bought this, and the deal I got was too good to pass up. If I was in the market for a new one though, I would definitely get a TS.

Ooops. Yeah I threw too many 9's in there. The TS stock is the one that I'm going to put on mine when I get back around to that project.

Ive got one of the basic models and I like it for what it is. Id like to change out the stock, but don't want all the aggravation that seems to go with installing it, lol. I may look into the newer version with the newer stock already on...

Guest Caveman
My tacticool 995 shoots minute of paper plate at 50, 100 yards is maybe minute of sewer lid.

Cavey your carbine looks nice.

They are fun to shoot but would never be a go to weapon.

Thanks Mike. I would never use it as a defense weapon, just something to play with. I really did not intend to put as much work into it as I did when I first bought it, but I think it came out well.

Nice! I have one. With proven mags, I'd use it as a house gun in a heart beat. Maybe even out to 100 yds. I could hit a man with it at that range. Wouldn't want to be shooting rabbits with it at that range though. The magazines are the weakest part of the weapon. Never any experience with the pistols. I know Mike speaks well of his. I've often thought about purchasing one though.