Is .40cal a useless caliber to carry?

Guest Chandler

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Must be why he asked the question, eh?

Yeah I certainly have no problem with the question. I have been shooting and reading gun mags and such for 30 years, others here longer than that. I can say for certain this, the debate has been going on for decades and will continue to go on as long as there are those who have their favorites and pretty much are stubborn as to the fact there are several options. And in truth there are differences in the rounds, without a doubt.

This handgun debate though is only the tip of the iceberg. When it comes to the dozens of rifle and hunting calibers, loads, etc then you really open the flood gates of debate.

Yeah I certainly have no problem with the question. I have been shooting and reading gun mags and such for 30 years, others here longer than that. I can say for certain this, the debate has been going on for decades and will continue to go on as long as there are those who have their favorites and pretty much are stubborn as to the fact there are several options. And in truth there are differences in the rounds, without a doubt.

This handgun debate though is only the tip of the iceberg. When it comes to the dozens of rifle and hunting calibers, loads, etc then you really open the flood gates of debate.

.270!:)

Guest Predsboro

interesting point my HCP class instructor made about this issue ... Bullets poke holes in people ... a 9mm converts to .380 and a .40 S&W converts to a 10mm ... therefore you are arguing over .020 or 1mm difference in the "hole." Carry what you shoot best and is most comfortable. I have 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. I will most likely carry my Springfield EMP .40 but enjoy shooting all ... and the 9mm is "cheapest" to plink around with.

interesting point my HCP class instructor made about this issue ... Bullets poke holes in people ... a 9mm converts to .380 and a .40 S&W converts to a 10mm ... therefore you are arguing over .020 or 1mm difference in the "hole."

I guess if you don’t understand or apply physics to anything; merely looking at diameter is one option.

I doubt your instructor was trying to imply that a .380 and 10mm are close to being the same. If he was he is a simpleton. :)

Guest tnxdshooter
Just curious as to what others think , cause all of my friends carry .45 's or 9mm . The tech has got pretty good with a 9mm that it seems that you either should go with a really good 9mm round or just step up to a .45. Which would leave me to believe that getting a .40cal is kind of useless , since the other two calibers can get the job done as well if not better. So :

Do you think that .40cal is a stupid round to carry or it is a good middle ground?

40 is my carry caliber of choice. If it sucks so bad I wonder why police officers, etc are getting away from the crap 9mm that couldnt stop a baby from robbin a cookie jar? It is because the cops were finding that the 9 just was not stopping some criminals. They switched to the 40 and have had less problems with that. Alot of departments are also using the 357 sig round now also. If it was crappy the cops wouldnt carry it and depend on it day in and day out. I wouldnt carry it day in and day out if I thought it was crap. I think youd be stupid to carry anything less than a 40 but that is just me. Standard issue for Knoxville metro is glock 22 which is 40 cal. My cousin carries a 23 for his police department so.

Guest tnxdshooter
I carry a 40 everday and never think twice about it. I have never been a 9mm fan, and I personally would never trust my life to it. I know lots of people that will say I am wrong but in my mind a 9mm is a useless round.

Or maybe the 10mm is a useless round. I have never meet anyone who ownes one and I have never found brass for one at a range.

You do realize 40 caliber is a 10mm short right?

Guest tnxdshooter
9mm / .40 / .45

None are "useless." However, I'll take a 9mm (I'm now issued a .40).

9mm

-more bullets

-less recoil for faster follow-ups

-cheaper

-realistically, stopping power is pretty much the same with all three using proper load selection and shot placement

Never had an issue with mine on follow up shots. I can double tap and even triple tap just as fast with my 40 as I can a 9. Ive done it to numerous times to count.