So who actually open carrys?

You darn well knew I was talking about the typical photog vest. That is the vest people assume a person is carrying a gun if they are wearing and not carrying cameras.

No I would not assume someone in cold weather wearing a fleece vest is carrying a gun.

I knew no such. I don't read minds, but I also don't jump to conclusions at the mention of a vest.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest boatme99

The only time I OC'ed was in the early '80's in Az. It was the law.

Around here, I'm happy with concealed. I'd much rather CC. Nobody elses business but my own.

Guest faust921

The manager at the sporting goods counter asked me if I was an off duty officer. I said told him I was not. I guess he realized that I was just a legally armed citizen with a HCP and he said. "well I have my handgun carry as well, but I don't carry it in stores as there is really no need" :cool:

Fortunately, our forefathers created a Bill of Rights not a bill of needs. To "need" in this case is irrelevant.

More importantly, did you wally walk to the snack area for nachos? That's something that "needs" to be done at least once.

Guest faust921

Last night I saw some guy at the deli counter at Publix with a shirt tucked in and what looked to be maybe a 9mm HiPower on his side in one of those holsters that the barrel is totally exposed. That was the first time I saw OC anywhere in TN.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys I thought I'd resurrect this thread to report my first open carry incident. The wife and I took my 2 year old son hiking in the Smokies on Saturday. Because I carry the kid in a backpack with a big waist strap, my options are pretty much limited to pocket carry or a thigh rig. I've been a little nervous about the thigh rig because I never OC, and especially since they still have the no firearms signs at the trailheads. I usually wrap a light rain jacket around my waist to be inconspicous until we get further up the trail. Well this Saturday we noticed a ranger was taking pictures near the trailhead. She was just up the trail we were planning to start on (Schoolhouse Gap) and I was curious as to what was going on to see if an animal around or something. She was very friendly but just said she was taking investigation photos and didn't comment further. She wished us well and didn't mention my full-size Glock at all.

Hey guys I thought I'd resurrect this thread to report my first open carry incident. The wife and I took my 2 year old son hiking in the Smokies on Saturday. Because I carry the kid in a backpack with a big waist strap, my options are pretty much limited to pocket carry or a thigh rig. I've been a little nervous about the thigh rig because I never OC, and especially since they still have the no firearms signs at the trailheads. I usually wrap a light rain jacket around my waist to be inconspicous until we get further up the trail. Well this Saturday we noticed a ranger was taking pictures near the trailhead. She was just up the trail we were planning to start on (Schoolhouse Gap) and I was curious as to what was going on to see if an animal around or something. She was very friendly but just said she was taking investigation photos and didn't comment further. She wished us well and didn't mention my full-size Glock at all.

that's awesome!!

Guest bluecanary25

I have been OCing for several years. Two weeks ago at Swan Lake, in Clarksville, Ranger asked if I had a permit and asked to see it. No problems. First time I have had to show my permit. Ranger was professional and courteous.

Don't kow why he was checking, kinda hard to look dangerous while pushing a ~80 yr old woman in a wheelchair.

So here's a weird OC story. A few weeks back my wife comes running into the house and tells me that she and my neighbor saw some guys wearing hoodies climbing through the window of the house next door. I grab my Sig and holster, head out the door and tell her to do the 911 thing. As I run out the door I see some bozo leaving the premises and follow him around the house. He's gone by the time I limp around the house.

So I hang out looking around for the a$$ wipes. A few minutes later 6 patrol cars show up. My Sig's now in the holster on my belt. The LEO's do their thing.

The odd thing is that not once was I asked about my handgun.

Weird.

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

A couple weeks back I was in Bowling Green, KY. I OC'd into a walmart and a Dairy Queen. No one really seemed to care. When I was in DQ, one of the employees asked what I was carrying. I gladly answered. They asked a few questions on carry and I answered as correctly as I could. It think it was a positive interaction.

Guest mosinon

saw a guy open carrying a smallish glock at Home Depot last weekend. Didn't bother me and know one else seemed to notice. I don't think most people really care.

saw a guy open carrying a smallish glock at Home Depot last weekend. Didn't bother me and know one else seemed to notice. I don't think most people really care.

I'm pretty sure I've done OC'd at Home Depot as well, not one word was said to me.

I hardly ever open carry,but I've been strapping on the Blackhawk when I go to the range.

Stopped by a Pilot/Taco Hell afterward and wore it inside. Waiting on an order, it was pretty obvious the group next to me noticed and pointed it out to each other.

Maybe it was just because most folks don't carry a big honkin cowboy gun on their hip, dunno.

- OS