What would you do?!

Guest Glock23ForMe

There is a random box on your front porch, not addressed to you. What do you do?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. There is a random box on your front porch, not addressed to you. What do you do?

• Leave that crap outside on the porch, I didn't order it, it's not mine. Leave It.
    • Bring it inside and put it in a corner, to keep it safe.
    • Ponder and look at it, bring it inside and open it.
    • Throw it under the next speeding truck coming down the road to reveal the contents.

Guest Glock23ForMe

Okay,

Today, I went over to my girlfriend's house, she is leasing from a company in Nashville. I walked in and over in the corner were these two, huge brown packing boxes. After about 10 minutes of wondering to myself, I looked at her and said, "Who's boxes are those?" She responded... "I don't know." Whenever she said that, my first question was, "Well, why the HELL are then IN YOUR HOUSE???" She said, "IDK, my roommate must have brought them inside, the name on them is Phillup McCrack (Fake name to protect the "innocent"), he owns this place." I reminded her that homeowners, especially if they are financing, is public information. You can just call the Tax Assessors office and they will tell you straight up, I used to work in Rent-To-Own. I said, "That it could be anything, and if it didn't have your name on it, you weren't expecting it, or you don't know what's in it and you didn't order it, DON'T BRING IT INSIDE OR OPEN IT." I know this is far-fetched, but you never know, I gave her the scenario, "What if it's drugs?" She said, "We don't own this place." But their name is on the lease, and it is INSIDE your house, say hello to the Crossbar Hotel. She reluctantly agreed, took the boxes outside and called the leasing company and said something was left on her porch she didn't order nor know what was inside. She had to leave a message.

My question to you guys...

What would you do?

Edited by Glock23ForMe
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Call the police and tell them that I have a suspicious package outside my door that's ticking... then wait for the bomb disposal people to get there. :D

J.

BTW, Drew, you're an awfully suspicious sort, for someone who'll stand in a parking place and try to save it for his girlfriend.

Edited by Jamie
Call the police and tell them that I have a suspicious package outside my door that's ticking... then wait for the bomb disposal people to get there. :D

The problem with that - they blow the freakin' package up. :D

I would just open it up. It's likely to be another life-size "doll" from Jackdm3. ;)

Guest jackdm3
The problem with that - they blow the freakin' package up. :D

I would just open it up. It's likely to be another life-size "doll" from Jackdm3. ;)

I'm a generous guy. You only really need to own one or two. Any more and it's vanity.

Guest Glock23ForMe

No, they've lived here for about 4 months now. It's clearly marked to go to someone else...

And, they're on the porch now, if someone takes them in the middle of the night, its the dummy who had them shipped here's fault.

Don't call the police, and don't open the package. Call UPS or FedEx or whoever delivered it and tell them that no such person lives at this address and they need to come get it. Drugs being in the package is not as far-fetched as you may think.

That's what I would do if they were delivered by carrier. The OP kinda led me to believe there was no shipping label. Just a name.

Guest Glock23ForMe
That's what I would do if they were delivered by carrier. The OP kinda led me to believe there was no shipping label. Just a name.

Sorry, there was a shipping label. She said it was from a "company". I looked and this company had the most random name, no address, no phone number, and just a city, state. I told her I can make a UPS label and put whatever I want to put on it, no matter what is the truth. UPS doesn't care unless it get's sent back.

It's the landlord's name on the box, right? Why not just call him and ask if he's expecting a package from whoever is on the return address? If he is, tell him they're inside and that he needs to update is address with whoever sent them. If not, open 'em up and have an early Christmas.

Sorry, there was a shipping label. She said it was from a "company". I looked and this company had the most random name, no address, no phone number, and just a city, state. I told her I can make a UPS label and put whatever I want to put on it, no matter what is the truth. UPS doesn't care unless it get's sent back.

Well in that case, Deerslayer has the correct advice!

Guest Glock23ForMe

I figured that... She called the company that leases this house for the landlord and left a message, until they come pick it up.. It will be on the porch.

The criminals are always using common carriers to do their dirty work. The closest I've come to being the victim of identity theft was through a fraudulent UPS account. I had to deal with scammers opening an account in my name and sending out counterfeit USPS money orders and counterfeit checks to their partners in crime across the US. Imagine my shock when I started getting return envelopes from UPS that had labels that appeared to come from ME! Opening them up as they came in, I kept finding counterfeit stuff. Had to call UPS to close the account (that I never opened!) as well as file a police report to cover my ass.

Guest jackdm3

If it was vacant for a long time before chickie, the address may have been used as a drop location for scammers across or down the street to observe and then retrieve at nighttime. Knew 2 guys in high school that ordered high-end electronics to be sent to empty houses.