SR9 owners input.

Smith

So I was in need of a new carry gun since, I sold off the M&P to cover the busted hot water heater and I decided to go with the Ruger SR9 (2 tone). Reasons I picked the SR9 were:

#1 cost - it's downright reasonable.

#2 features - for the cost it is packed with features many others priced higher don't have.

#3 - ergos - feels really good in the hand and is extremely slim.

#4 - looks - I know it's opinion, but I think they look really good. Especially the 2 tone.

#5 trigger - stock trigger and reset were actually pretty good.

I know Ghost is making a trigger mod for the SR9, but is there anything else I just have to have on my new SR9?

BTW - I foresee having to get the SR9c down the road!:)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would get the SR9c first personally .....

I have one for the wife but I shoot it at the range too,its been over 1500+ rounds so far and not one FTF,and I think I cleaned the thing once since I own it

1) its 398 at BUDS as we speak

2) Most Ruger owners would agree the SR9c shoots better for them than the fullsize model

3) it has one of the best triggers I have ever felt out of the box in years,even better than my Glock

4) it will run circles around your old M&P........Does for me

Edited by SonnyCrockett
Guest Sgt. Joe

I have and LOVE them both also. It would be really hard for me to pick which one I like best as my full size is the Oh so cool OD green and it is a tack driver. My c version is also the stainless over black and you are right, They just look good.:D

I ordered it sight unseen and was really surprised that it was as big as it is given they call it a compact. I didnt think I was going to like it but I sure was wrong, it is the one I carry the most often anymore.

They both fit my hands well and shoot like a dream, the triggers only seem to have gotten better over time and I have yet to have a malfunction from either they have eaten anything I have fed them.

I really think that given more time the c version is going to be one of the most popular 9's on the market, and if not they will still be fine by me.;)

As for adding anything, all I have added is a set of laserlytes to my c which is what I carry most, they work real well and I am thinking about getting the same for the full size maybe adding a light to it at some point.

But all in all everything you need for a reliable CC shooter was in the box.:poop:

Go Go Ruger.......17+1 and highly accurate:D

I have both the full size and the compact. They both have the version three triggers and are great. I actually like my compact better just because I can carry it easier and at least for me, I think it has LESS felt recoil than the full size.

The only mods I would suggest, and plan on doing to mine, is to add night sights. I believe Meprolite is offering them at this time.

More info, please?[/

When the SR9 was first introduced it had the version one trigger. Then there was the recall. That created the version two trigger. Then Ruger introduced the SR9c with an even better trigger, that is the version three trigger, or as some refer to it as the V1.2 trigger. You can tell if you have one by looking at the mag release. If you have a half mon mag release you definately have a version three trigger. If your full size SR9 has a full circle mag release and a glock style "safety" on the trigger you have the version two. If you have a full circle mag release and a "Sigma" style trigger safety you have a version one.

More info, please?[/

When the SR9 was first introduced it had the version one trigger. Then there was the recall. That created the version two trigger. Then Ruger introduced the SR9c with an even better trigger, that is the version three trigger, or as some refer to it as the V1.2 trigger. You can tell if you have one by looking at the mag release. If you have a half mon mag release you definately have a version three trigger. If your full size SR9 has a full circle mag release and a glock style "safety" on the trigger you have the version two. If you have a full circle mag release and a "Sigma" style trigger safety you have a version one.

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

Yes, thank you. I had one, with the "version 2" trigger. It smoothed out remarkably when I removed the mag safety. I have seen some models without a mag safety at all. Does the "v3" leave it out? And is it available on the full size?

From what I've read on the Ruger forum if you send one in with the MD removed, they will add it back. So I can't see them taking it out.

You misunderstood. I've field stripped a couple in stores since, and they were built without the mag safety. The question was, though, is the v3 trigger now standard on the newer full size models as well?

Ah, I see. All I can say is the two full size models that have come through the store both have the V3 triggers .... now that I know how to tell them apart. :panic:

• 1 month later...

If you're looking to add another toy to your SR9, check out the Viridian green lasers. I bought an olive drab SR9 and Viridian was offering a half price deal on a laser so I grabbed one in matching olive drab. It looks great on the gun (kind of futuristic) & they are a lot of fun & are super bright at night and during the day. I can see it on my targets at 75 yrds very clearly, even in bright sunlight. It feels very solid on the pistol, doesn't add much weight, and can really take a beating.

Guest The Highlander

I'll second the Viridian. I have one on my full-size SR9. The green is visible even in sunlight, and is extremely bright at night. The unit has multiple beam style settings for pulses and solid beam. My only gripe is the stupid location of the activation switch. Is is too easily bumped and turns the unit on. I was carrying it in an open-bottom holster from Blackhawk! and one of my employees said, "why is that green dot following you around?"

Blackhawk makes a cheap ballistic nylon holster (the one I was using above) that works well for glovebox or console use, dropping in a range bag and so on. It came with my 1/2 price Viridian. But now they have a kydex model that works much better for actual carry. I have it as well.

I like the trigger on my pistol, v2. I love the sights, they were dead-on out of the box for me. This is my favorite 9mm, and I've shot Glocks for 15 years. The only other thing you need for an SR9 is a bunch of ammo.

Of course, an SR9c would be the ultimate accessory I suppose!

Guest iiiwildfireiii

Just my .02, but I'm in lust with my SR9c. I shoot better with it than I do any other gun than I've used before. Its trigger (at least the one I purchased) was absolutely phenomenal! I thought I would lose some accuracy with the shorter barrel length, but the thing handles like a dream. Recoil is extremely manageable no matter what type of load I put through it, even with the shorter 10 round mag. If you're going to carry your sidearm daily, you honestly can't beat it. I compared it for hours to a Glock 26 / 27 and the XD compact and was dead set on getting the XD before. No, price was not the deciding factor at all, but it helps.

YMMV but I <3 mine.