Concealment Vests?

I was at my first IDPA match today and learned that I need a concealment vest. Anyone have any suggestions on brand, etc?

Thanks.

P.S. Noboby suggested, required or insinuated that I purchase a vest. I am interested in one.

Edited by cyh1830
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5.11, Blackhawk CQB, blue stone safety, or regular button down shirt. There are many gun stores in the area that sell this equipment however a regular button down shirt will work with no additional cost.

BTW,

I was more than happy in loaning mine to you at any time. Hope you had fun today.

Did they actually specify a damn vest?!?!?! Sports jackets, windbreakers, etc. do the job with better invisibility. The sheep and especially the thugs are starting to know what's up with those cargo vests with empty pockets..

I found this cheap at Sportsman's Guide. It's cut EXACTLY like a 5.11, but is less than half the price. The fabric is a little lighter, though.

Tact Gear Tactical Vest, Military Surplus, Brand Not Specified at Sportsman's Guide

Jack,

No certain type of concealment is required, but a vest of some type is a fair representation of what some folks actually use for concealment (jacket, sportcoat, fleece vest, Hawaiian shirt, etc). Heavy cotton or canvas photo vests also stand up to the abuse of competitive shooting. Also, some folks like to use one garment to avoid getting their good clothes dirty, torn up, lead-saturated, etc.

Edited by deerslayer

I use a concealement vest from Smith and Alexander. They are reasonably cheap, and made of light nylon or some other sort of fabric and are just a generic vest and are available in 2 or 3 different colors. They do not look like a tactical vest. If I recall correctly, if it's for IDPA, you get a 5% discount.

Edited by robbiev
I was at my first IDPA match today and learned that I need a concealment vest. Anyone have any suggestions on brand, etc?

Thanks.

P.S. Noboby suggested, required or insinuated that I purchase a vest. I am interested in one.

How you conceal the fact that you are carrying is a pretty personal choice.

I've used and still do use a variety of methods depending on where I'm going/what I'm doing (sometimes I only carry a small revolver in my pants pocket; sometimes I carry off-body in my briefcase and sometimes in a "day planner" that isn't a day planner, and sometimes I carry in an OWB holster, etc.). When I carry in a holster I usually use a vest as a cover garment (and I think a vest is a great year-round option).

Coats and other top layer garments are fine when the weather makes such garments not seem out of place but a vest can be worn just about anytime/any season (although you do need to buy the right "weight" for he season).

I've purchased two different vests that are specifically designed for concealed carry purposes from Concealed Carry Clothiers - Providing quality: Concealed Carry Vests, Accessories, Concealment clothes, Gun Belts, Vest and have been very pleased with them. One of the things I like most about them is that they don't "look" like a tactical vest; they look like any other ordinary vest but yet are designed specifically for concealed carry purposes (they are also what I use for IDPA matches!).

for idpa GAME the 511 vest work well because they are heavy and fairly stiff, as just a shirt does work but can cause you problems because is light and soft and gives way when you try to quicky throw it out to make your draw. try it at home with just a long button up shirt then try it when something like sport coat and you will seen what i mean.

I use an S & A vest with pocket knife or bullets in the pockets.

if you have or can fine a old BDU shirt that has not been washed to much (as in still a little stiff) it will work great.

remember you can use whatever you want it just has cover your weapon with your arms straight out

DMARK, I could have sworn that you shot with a "shoot me first" type of vest at the last match in Gallatin.

Wasn't me.

I try to wear what is similar to my normal EDC cover......

Hot Weather - Hawaiian Shirt or Blue Blazer.

Cold Weather - Suit Jacket or Winter Coat.

The only vest(s) I have are the ones that carry AR/AK/FAL mags. :wave: