H.E.S.T

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been waiting a year for this one to hit the street. I can't wait. Nice find!

I just saw them on a forum for the first time yesterday, it looks to be one hell of a knife it will be well worth the $175.00 price when I saw them I had to order two, gotta spend my Cigarette money on something since I kicked the habit!

• Admin Team
I just saw them on a forum for the first time yesterday, it looks to be one hell of a knife it will be well worth the $175.00 price when I saw them I had to order two, gotta spend my Cigarette money on something since I kicked the habit!

If I had to ditch every other knife I owned, and could keep just one, my RC-5 would be it. I've got big expectations for this one.

i gotta ask, what makes a pocket knife worth that much money?

It is a lot, but I think it's worth it. I like Jeff and Mike a lot, and like the fact that they're committed to making all of their blades here in the U.S. They are small, so you're not getting the benefit of quantity that a larger maker does. That said, you're getting a handmade tool that you can trust and has a lifetime no questions asked guarantee.

If I had to ditch every other knife I owned, and could keep just one, my RC-5 would be it. I've got big expectations for this one.

It is a lot, but I think it's worth it. I like Jeff and Mike a lot, and like the fact that they're committed to making all of their blades here in the U.S. They are small, so you're not getting the benefit of quantity that a larger maker does. That said, you're getting a handmade tool that you can trust and has a lifetime no questions asked guarantee.

Awesome! what does the RC-5 look like MacGyver? please post a link or a picture, you have me interested

The knife from the OP states in red that it is made in Italy

Am I missing something?

• Admin Team
The knife from the OP states in red that it is made in Italy

Am I missing something?

You're right. And, it's stamped right on the blade, too. I know that being fully US made has been a big commitment of their's in the past. I'm curious about the change now.

• Admin Team
I was looking at the ESEE-5 but saw some reviews on it saying that is was just too bulky. What's your opinion on it? I've considered the ESEE-4 instead.

The ESEE RC-5 is a big knife for doing big jobs. It is overbuilt for the jobs most people use a knife for, but that's what gives me confidence. The blade is 1/4 inch thick. You can use it as a stave with no worries of breaking it.

I've also got an RC-3 MIL. It's a great blade. Great quality, but I wouldn't choose it as my primary knife in the field where my life might depend on it.

I guess it depends on what you're going to use it for. Everyday use and general camp chores give you a lot of options. I like the RC-5 for exactly the reason some reviewers don't like it. It is a heavy, overbuilt blade. But, my life has been saved by the tools I've had on me at the time more than once. I like the fact that I can trust that if I call on this tool to do a hard job, it'll send the reaper away empty handed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Admin Team

A little update via RYP's facebook page and bladeforums.

LionSteel has given a ship date of December 10.

Here is a pic of an unfinished prototype without any scales:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]339[/ATTACH]

Also, to anyone thinking of picking one up, it's being said that these are going to be made in lots. That is, they are making them for the dealers who have people who pre-ordered, and after that, it may be a while before more hit the street.

• 1 month later...
Who'd you order from Billy? I saw the week before Christmas that the production version was shipping to stocking dealers.

knifeworks.com.....they sent me an email today stating that since I preorderd I could finalize my order now since they are expecting to receive 350 this week.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Admin Team

Robert Pelton, the primary designer of this knife posted on BladeForums yesterday that the production version of this knife is shipping to dealers on Friday, with another shipment the following Friday. Hopefully they'll make it through customs quickly, and dealers should get them within a week or so to then turn them around to everyone who pre-ordered.