TN permit holders vs those who actually carry

Long gone are the days of "good and bad" areas.

It's amazing, however, the number of sheeple that are convinced that this is completely wrong. One of the most common things I heard when I was actively instructing was something along the lines of: "Oh, but I live in (insert city here). We don't have crime there. But, I come to Memphis every now and then and I need a gun for that."

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's amazing, however, the number of sheeple that are convinced that this is completely wrong. One of the most common things I heard when I was actively instructing was something along the lines of: "Oh, but I live in (insert city here). We don't have crime there. But, I come to Memphis every now and then and I need a gun for that."

Aren't we stretching a little calling permit holders sheeple? I agree that there's no such thing as safe areas anymore. There are certainly low risk areas and times of the day. I'm forced to be disarmed BY LAW in some risky places. I'm forced to be disarmed by my employers. If I could go through life armed 100% of the time, I would. Some folks are lucky that way.

Aren't we stretching a little calling permit holders sheeple? snip

LOL. It seems that some of these gung ho gunslingers are going to start advocating prohibition again so that HCP citizens would be more obliged to take to the streets. :D

I can't see why anybody would be frustated and think it wrong that their neighbor decides not to carry a gun around just because they have a HCP.

Just because hot head Freddy across the street spent 8 hours in a handgun class and forked over $100 to the State doesn't mean I'm going to be upset that he doesn't start a vigilante squad around town, waiving his handgun badge around.

LOL. It seems that some of these gung ho gunslingers are going to start advocating prohibition again so that HCP citizens would be more obliged to take to the streets. :D

I can't see why anybody would be frustated and think it wrong that their neighbor decides not to carry a gun around just because they have a HCP.

Just because hot head Freddy across the street spent 8 hours in a handgun class and forked over $100 to the State doesn't mean I'm going to be upset that he doesn't start a vigilante squad around town, waiving his handgun badge around.

you did an excellent job of taking things out of context... The whole point of this was to discuss why someone might get a HCP if they don't ever plan on carrying. Just because I carry as often as possible doesn't make me a "vigilante" or a "gung ho gunslinger" you sound just like one of the anti's right now.....go troll elsewhere.

LOL...yeah everyone on here posting that they carry most of the time (as was more or less said in the OP) does little to answer the actual question in the OP...

So why do you think so many people get there permit and then never carry?

LOL...yeah everyone on here posting that they carry most of the time (as was more or less said in the OP) does little to answer the actual question in the OP...

exactly!! I think only 1 or 2 people answered. I'm still sticking with %20-30 or permit holders actually carry.

Because they have been conditioned by goverment and society to let police look out for their safety and that odds are they will not need to carry. Many others have the permit so they can go to the range and not have to worry about seperating ammo and magazines and guns. Others may not carry because they thought carrying would be easy to do. Those that do carry know it is not always easy or convenient to carry.

It is inconvenient. Keeping track of where you can and cannot carry, it can be uncomfortable, the unwillingness to make the commitment to behave responsibly as carry requires, and the unwillingness to be willing to kill if necessary. There are all sorts of good reasons not to carry. The last one is the most important to me. If a person is not committed to really be willing to kill if necessary, I don't want them carrying because they are dangers to themselves and everyone else. Many are unable to summon the moral courage necessary to carry a weapon.

It is inconvenient. Keeping track of where you can and cannot carry, it can be uncomfortable, the unwillingness to make the commitment to behave responsibly as carry requires, and the unwillingness to be willing to kill if necessary. There are all sorts of good reasons not to carry. The last one is the most important to me. If a person is not committed to really be willing to kill if necessary, I don't want them carrying because they are dangers to themselves and everyone else. Many are unable to summon the moral courage necessary to carry a weapon.

Amen.

Just because a person has a right to be armed and even a permit to carry doesn't mean they should carry.

Agree, but that just furthers the OP's question.....why get a HCP if they feel that way and aren't going to carry?

Guest jackdm3

I don't know the ways of all these lost souls, but I DO like them jacking up the numbers to the displeasure of the Commercial Appeal and the Brady Bunch.

Like he said, but in addition to criminal work I also do some domestic as well. I've found that some people like to blame the lawyer for their problems and sometimes do stupid things like come to your home or office threatening to kill you or family members. Hence my desire to carry. When I practiced in Indiana a former LEO threatened me and was observed outside my house and later arrested with a pistol and a shotgun. When he was to be released on bond the judge explained that he'd given me a license to kill him if he came near me or my family again. I've carried a gun.

I do family law as well. It is incredibly volitile and very emotional.

Agree, but that just furthers the OP's question.....why get a HCP if they feel that way and aren't going to carry?

All I can say to answer this is what one domestic client told me about why he got a permit: He never intended to carry a gun, but had guns and grew up shooting and saw the HCP as a means of standing up for 2nd Amendment rights. I told him he'd be better off donating to the NRA, but that was his feeling. My guess is that there are as many reasons for getting an HCP and having no intention to carry as there are people who do it.

Guest 270win

There are all kinds of people out there wanting to take what is yours. I have to protect myself when out working for myself. I don't have the luxury of company security guards (not that I ever relied on them when I worked for a company), Brinks, key card access, or that other fancy stuff. It is just the Lord and Smith and Wesson keeping me and my work stuff safe from harm when out and about.

The key is getting a good holster selection and the right sized gun for what you are wearing to be comfortable all day. I can carry my S&W 642 anywhere I want that doesn't have metal detectors in either my pocket holster or ankle holster. I just choose holster type depending on my clothes. The 642 snub is plenty of gun for me and allows me to dress professionally.

Edited by 270win
Guest Guy N. Cognito

For when they "think they need it." That's what I hear more often than not.

Guest Guy N. Cognito

To go a step further, many have good intent to carry often, but don't for a variety of reasons. Usually, it's uncomfortable and inconvenient.

....feels like someone has said that already........ :)

All I can say to answer this is what one domestic client told me about why he got a permit: He never intended to carry a gun, but had guns and grew up shooting and saw the HCP as a means of standing up for 2nd Amendment rights. I told him he'd be better off donating to the NRA, but that was his feeling. My guess is that there are as many reasons for getting an HCP and having no intention to carry as there are people who do it.
For when they "think they need it." That's what I hear more often than not.

Well I really meant about the "not able to take a life" part (The reason I put in bold in my quote). I'm not sure why you'd even own a gun then, let alone get a permit.

I somewhat understand the "Supporting the 2A" idea....but.....well....like was said probably better ways.

I can not have one at work, not even in the parking lot. So I don't carry To and From work. This is why I want the parking Lot law like KY and some other states have.

Moving forward. I have started carrying out and about more and more. Still getting use to carrying but the more I do, the more natural it feels. I no longer have those first time jitters and it is beginning to be like picking up my keys.

People don't know whether they can carry, that's probably where Eric's number of 80% non carryers comes from.

Guest eyescream

My dad's had his carry permit since this past winter, I think. He's carried, that I'm aware of, exactly once. I know of that one time because he was so proud of it that he told me about it. :D

I carry everywhere I'm able, and a few places that I'm really not supposed to. I don't carry to work because if I lose my job I might as well just die anyway, so I'm not gonna chance it.

Guest KustomHD

I have a HCP & have it to carry a hand gun to protect my self & my family I do carry 99% of the time except in the shower or sleeping then my wepon is only 2 feet from me, to me it makes no sence to have a HCP & not carry. I do understand peoples work related problems BUT when your life depends on it call 911 and see how many times you can squeeze your finger before you get a responce.